linuxserver.io

[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid Nvidia

1942 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have the same as you, my graphic cards is too old, its not in the latest drivers of nvidia or any other drivers that are currently available through this plugin.

I think you'd have to rollback to earlier version of Nvidia unRaid that has that particular version.

Problem for me was that the unraid version that had my driver version in there isnt available in the unraid nvidia plugin.

So i couldnt download it, and i believe the versions for unraid nvidia start at 4xx i didnt saw anything with 3xx in the version.

5 hours ago, BrunoX said:

Is there a way to downgrade the driver version?

I have an older Nvidia card (GTX 460) and the latest driver (440.59) doesn't support it, however, Linux driver 390.132 from Nvidia does.

2 hours ago, Diondk said:

Problem for me was that the unraid version that had my driver version in there isnt available in the unraid nvidia plugin.

So i couldnt download it, and i believe the versions for unraid nvidia start at 4xx i didnt saw anything with 3xx in the version.

I suspect your older cards won't support NVENC or NVDEC either so even if you could get it to run on unraid, you wouldn't get transcoding via emby/plex/etc

18 hours ago, j0nnymoe said:

I suspect your older cards won't support NVENC or NVDEC either so even if you could get it to run on unraid, you wouldn't get transcoding via emby/plex/etc

You are correct. It won't. The GTX 460 is a Fermi architecture, which predates NVENC and NVDEC so even if there were drivers, it can't be utilized for transcoding.

1 hour ago, ClunkClunk said:

You are correct. It won't. The GTX 460 is a Fermi architecture, which predates NVENC and NVDEC so even if there were drivers, it can't be utilized for transcoding.

I am trying to get a GTX 1050 used for this.  Is this also the case?  I am struggling to even get it to work for a VM.

On 3/26/2020 at 4:46 PM, BRiT said:

I think you'd have to rollback to earlier version of Nvidia unRaid that has that particular version.

On 3/26/2020 at 7:31 PM, Diondk said:

I thought so as well but as Diondk said, the problem is that none of the older Nvidia Unraid versions have a Nvidia driver before version 400.

21 hours ago, j0nnymoe said:

Thanks, that's good to know. Although I'm more interested in getting it to work for Folding@Home which I believe doesn't utilize NVENC/NVDEC - could be wrong though.

1 minute ago, BrunoX said:

Thanks, that's good to know. Although I'm more interested in getting it to work for Folding@Home which I believe doesn't utilize NVENC/NVDEC - could be wrong though.

I have no trouble using NVENC/NVDEC using a 1050 with Folding@Home

Updated to Nvidia 6.8.3 from previous versions, but it looks like my card is not being used anymore based on the info stating it is power = 0, and my cpu is running very high on 5 streams. Based on the below output, shouldn't I be seeing some use, not just memory?  Plex pas with HW Transcoding on, Tautulli cofirmed HW Transcodes, 1050 Ti installed.  I did try and removed Bionic previously, otherwise at a loss. 

Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 8.48.47 PM.png

Looks like you do have 5 streams going. The CPU useage is probably due to audio transcode. Not sure why your power and other metrics are not reporting properly...

12 hours ago, Jhp612 said:

Looks like you do have 5 streams going. The CPU useage is probably due to audio transcode. Not sure why your power and other metrics are not reporting properly...

The only other thing I can think of is I added a script awhile ago to return the care to the P0 state after it was done, as it was hanging at full power and not returning. i copied down a script that checks to see if there are any active transcodes, and if not returns it to P0. 

#!/bin/bash
TOKILL=""
CPT_TRANSCODE=-1
CPT_SERVER=-1

for ELEMENT in $(lsof /dev/nvidia0 | awk '{print $1 "@" $2}')
do
 IFS='@' read -r -a array <<< "$ELEMENT"
 if [ "${array[0]}" != "Xorg" ] && [ "${array[0]}" != "ffmpeg" ]
 then
  if [ "${array[0]}" = "Plex\x20T" ]
  then
  ((CPT_TRANSCODE++))
  fi
  if [ "${array[0]}" = "Plex\x20M" ]
  then
   ((CPT_SERVER++))
   TOKILL="${array[1]}"
  fi
 fi
done

if [ $CPT_SERVER -gt 0 ] && [ $CPT_TRANSCODE -lt 1 ] && [ "$1" != "test" ]
then
 kill -9 "$TOKILL"
fi
if [ "$1" == "test" ]
then
 echo "$TOKILL"
fi

not sure if this is having an affect also. 

19 hours ago, itimpi said:

I have no trouble using NVENC/NVDEC using a 1050 with Folding@Home

My problem is that my card (460) isn't detected at all with the latest drivers which results in Folding@Home only using the CPU.

22 hours ago, mgranger said:

I am trying to get a GTX 1050 used for this.  Is this also the case?  I am struggling to even get it to work for a VM.

A GTX 1050 is fairly recent, supports NVENC/NVDEC, and should work with this plugin (though I don't have one to try - spec wise it seems totally fine).

14 hours ago, dewlite said:

Updated to Nvidia 6.8.3 from previous versions, but it looks like my card is not being used anymore based on the info stating it is power = 0, and my cpu is running very high on 5 streams. Based on the below output, shouldn't I be seeing some use, not just memory?  Plex pas with HW Transcoding on, Tautulli cofirmed HW Transcodes, 1050 Ti installed.  I did try and removed Bionic previously, otherwise at a loss. 

Could you try `nvidia-smi dmon` while you're transcoding, and post a few second of output?

On 3/28/2020 at 11:35 AM, ClunkClunk said:

Could you try `nvidia-smi dmon` while you're transcoding, and post a few second of output?

only one transcode happening now, will try to grab when there are more. It almost seems like it is barley transcoding?

Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 12.35.16 PM.png

Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 12.34.40 PM.png

Edited by dewlite
corrected upload