unRaid server hardware upgrade - FileSvr

I'm looking to upgrade my unRaid setup from consumer level hardware to server / workstation level hardware. My main reasons for doing an upgrade are more CPU cores, more memory (I also want to use ECC memory), VM stability, and proper IOMMU grouping (I don't want to use PCIe ACS Override). My current setup is in my signature and it works well, but thanks to @limetech , I'm using my unRaid server for much more than I ever imagined 😊. I plan on using my old hardware as a backup unRaid server.

My needs are as follows:

1. Ability to run 4 video cards, 2 of which are single slot PCIe x1 cards and the 2 others are dual slot PCIe x16 cards. I also need 2 free slots for my HBA and network cards, both of which are PCIe x4.
  2. Onboard GPU or the ability to run headless.
  3. 10 or more USB connectors.
  4. ECC memory.

I'm thinking of the following hardware to upgrade my server:

• CPU's: 2 @ Intel Xeon E5-2687W v3 which will give me 20 cores.
  • Coolers: Need 2 CPU coolers but not sure what to get. Looking for cheap but reliable and lower noise coolers.
  • MB: Supermicro X10DAX
  • Memory: 64Gig ECC
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 1300 Watts

I currently run 4 VM's and 11 docker containers full time and want the ability to run 2 more VM's full time. 4 of the VM's will use GPU passthrough.

I'd like comments or suggestions on my planned upgrade. Particularly if I can stop using PCIe ACS Override and if I can run this setup headless. I will most likely need 1 or 2 PCIe riser or ribbon cable extensions as well but not sure which ones or where to get them (I live in the USA) and I still need to choose CPU coolers.

Thanks!

Edited by GHunter
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't had any luck getting a decent price on 2 Intel Xeon E5-2687W v3 processors so I had to go with 2 Intel Xeon E5-2667 v3 processors instead. They are 8 core CPU's so I lost a few cores over my original plan but on the bright side, they were cheap and they run a little faster at a base clock speed of 3.2 GHz.

For the CPU coolers, I picked up 2 Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVOs. I've seen other people use them in their server builds and they should fit in my 4U case.

Now I need to order my memory and a few miscellaneous items and plan on getting this built in 2 to 3 weeks! Luckily memory prices have dropped and I found 64 gigs of ECC memory for $290 at Newegg.

Edited by GHunter
  • Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Hi.  How are you using your 2 GPU passthrough?  Is it for gaming?  Are you gaming while beside Unraid NAS?  Or is it remote?  Can never get moonlight to perform well.  

I had plans of setting up a gaming VM on Unraid NAS myself.  I was only able to get good gaming performance while extending the HDMI/ keyboard and mouse via USB extenders (RJ45) and HDMI extenders (via RJ45).  Games played- League of Legends, Cities Skylines.

Using Xeon E5-1650 v3.