Upgrade advice

IrishBiker

Hi All

I've been currently been using a HP MicroServer Gen 8 (UpgradedCPU) for my UnRaid box for a few years now. Its been rock stable but I've had to move it to an room in the house that is not ideal, Mainly its attracting more dust than I would like, so that in mind and also wanting to do some more VM's I'm going to upgrade my hardware. Here is what I am putting together:

Fractal Design Define R6 Case

Intel Xeon E5-2650L v3

ASUS X99-WS/IPMI

32/64 DDR4 Memory (not decided as yet)

Drives from old system

1. I assume I can just transfer the UnRaid system, will it be a case of plugging in the USB OS and raid drives or will I need to configure a new system (USB OS) and then transfer the config files and raid disks?

2. What type of CPU cooler should I be looking at? The case will have 3 fans at the front to pull in air over the drives and then the board and at least one exhaust fan (excluding the PSU). As this system will be on 24/7 Do I want to stick with air cooler or a would a AIO water cooler work just a well? Would a water system be quieter? Will the coolant degrade over time?

3. What type of power supply am I look at? Doing a quick calc on pcpowerpicker.com the basic spec is coming out at 178Watts. Even tho I am using this as a headless system I may want to add a lowspec graphics card for passthrough. As it running 24.7 I want it to be as energy-efficient as possible. With this all in mind, am I looking at a 500 watt power supply to get the 50% load sweet spot and 80+ Gold or Plat model?

Thanks Paul

Edited by IrishBiker