Install a Docker thats not in Apps

schford

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

sorry to take so long to come back and thanks for the advice.  SO I edited the docker container and the resulting command run looked like this  

"root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='nxfilter' --net='bond0' --ip='192.168.0.17' --privileged=true -e TZ="Europe/London" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -v '/mnt/cache/appdata/nxfilter/conf/':'/nxfilter/conf':'rw' -v '/mnt/cache/appdata/nxfilter/log':'/nxfilter/log':'rw' -v '/mnt/cache/appdata/nxfilter/db/':'/nxfilter/db':'rw' 'packetworks/nxfilter-base:latest' 

e1a26f37b99126b3cdaec315597a7096a3e59cf24fdbad48f1835ebd30055916"

The appropraite folders get created in my app data but when the docker tries to start i know get

"Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
at nxd.Main.<init>(Unknown Source)
at nxd.Main.main(Unknown Source)
Exception in thread "Thread-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
at nxd.o.run(Unknown Source)"

I would be incredibly grateful for any advice please!

Thanks

Stuart

• 10 months later...

I know this is a bit of a zombie thread, but I recently ran into the same thing and thought I'd post here for anyone else who's having trouble with this docker.

The reason that the nxfilter-base docker throws the Java exception seems to be that it's not able to deal with an empty conf folder. In unRAID-land we're used to dockers which will populate their /conf folders with default configuration when they're empty on first startup. Whether it's intended or not, that doesn't seem to work with this docker. When you don't map any host folders to the container's /nxfilter/conf then it starts up and uses the configuration files in the image itself.

My quick hackey solution was just to start the docker with all the port and folder mapings *except* the /nxfilter/conf one. I temporarily mapped /mnt/user/appdata/nxfilter/conf : /tmp/conf, and connected to the container using docker exec -it <container-id> /bin/bash. Then I just got the default config out of the image and into my host with a cp -r /nxfilter/conf/* /tmp/conf, stopped the container, deleted the temporary mapping, and added the usual /mnt/user/appdata/nxfilter/conf : /nxfilter/conf. After that, it fired up no problem.

Hope someone finds this useful.

-A

• Thanks 1

@Ambrotos I suspect the reason is a (not as widely known as it should be) difference in the way volumes and bind mounts work in docker. When a docker volume is created for a non-empty directory in a container, the volume is populated with the files in the containers directory. On the other hand if a host folder is bind-mounted to a non-empty directory in a docker container the bind-mounted folder replaces the container folder completely. Here is a link to the docker documentation explaining in more detail. Since unRAID users are encouraged to use bind mounts to the appdata folder rather than volumes this issue occasionally crops up. Especially for docker containers that were build with microservice or cluster usage in mind since those applications most often stay away from bind mounting to make containers services more portable between host nodes.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I think reply there will get people who has the experience with nxfilter docker share their thoughts

steps that I took:

0. Stop AdGuard, stopped docker and restart the docker without AdGuard auto start.

1. in console,

docker pull packetworks/nxfilter-base

2. create a container (see screenshot)

I set port 53 to UDP. All other ports are TCP. 

according to this instruction.

https://hub.docker.com/r/packetworks/nxfilter-base

NxFilter_Q1.thumb.JPG.24acdb322de19ab319f90bbc6ffdea59.JPG

3. the container creation was successful but, there is no IP mapping.

docker run -d --name='NxFilter' --net='br0' --ip='192.168.1.6' --privileged=true -e TZ="America/####" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -v '/mnt/user/appdata/nxfilter/log/':'/nxfilter/log':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/nxfilter/db/':'/nxfilter/db':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/nxfilter/conf/':'/nxfilter/conf':'rw' 'packetworks/nxfilter-base' 

NxFilter_Q2.thumb.JPG.b3dcb28bc4476c43028fd724ddbc2fd0.JPG

no IP and port mapping.

AdGuard shows the correct port mapping

NxFilter_Q3.thumb.JPG.888347d99698460ef82354fe3cb08177.JPG

I have only one physical ethernet port on motherboard.

I previously get AdGuard (from Unraid APP) working properly by setting fixed IP to 192.168.1.5. 

Edited by jena