Transcoding

Saken

23 minutes ago, Saken said:

So just got my system up and running and working on trying to get it to transcode plex threw ram how do i know if it working

Are you trying to transcode in hardware (iGPU) or software (CPU)?

Transcoding in RAM (I am doing this) is simply a matter of, within the Plex docker, mapping the container path of /transcode (or something similar) to a host path of /tmp (or any path not in the array file system).

If it is working in RAM you will see the transcoding sessions being created in real time in {/tmp}/Transcode/Sessions folder

If you specify no transcode volume mapping, Plex will automatically transcode to the Plex appdata/Library/Application Support/... folder.  If your appdata share is on the cache drive and your cache drive is an SSD, it will transcode to SSD.

well i have it set at /tmp right now as we speak and i didnt notice any difference under my memory load so was not sure it was working. Then i saw article saying it was no longer supported so i figured that it was not. Were do i see the /tmp/transcode session folder at?

1 minute ago, Saken said:

well i have it set at /tmp right now as we speak and i didnt notice any difference under my memory load so was not sure it was working. Then i saw article saying it was no longer supported so i figured that it was not. Were do i see the /tmp/transcode session folder at?

On the unRAID console, terminal session from the GUI, PuTTY/SSH session, etc. type 'cd /tmp/Transcode/Sessions' then do a directory listing.

Here is what is going on in my transcode session folder right now:

image.png.ae6167d39dc5f6c90f4fae2bc47af2ad.png

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='PlexMediaServer' --net='host' -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'PLEX_CLAIM'='Insert Token from https://plex.tv/claim' -e 'PLEX_UID'='99' -e 'PLEX_GID'='100' -e 'VERSION'='latest' -v '/tmp':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Plex Media/':'/data':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/PlexMediaServer':'/config':'rw' 'plexinc/pms-docker'

46bd1cc7c5bad27bc670dd39295674f54112d08f154ea35ed6f8cd7275b4440e

The command finished successfully!

You have to be careful if you're transcoding to RAM while using the Plex DVR. I learned this the hard way. Basically while Plex is recording something it is also "transcoding" it to break it up into streamable sections. It does this so that just in case you want to watch while it's still recording. The rub though is that depending on your amount of RAM this can quickly fill it up. I had several recordings fail before I figured out what was actually going on.

10 hours ago, Saken said:

yup confirmed only 1 device is transcoding threw the ram the rest show nothing

Not everything has to be transcoded.  If the client can direct play the content because it is in a natively supported format, no transcoding takes place.  It could be that only one device needs to transcode the content and the other(s) can direct play most content. 

nVidia Shield for example can direct play just about anything and Plex rarely needs to transcode content streamed to the Shield. 

My FireTV direct plays most of my content (1080p or less) to the TV and rarely transcodes

I generally only see transcoding on content being played remotely or on certain mobile devices. 

What I posted in my transcoding screenshot last night was two transcodes taking place for remotely streamed content and the Plex DVR recording simultaneously.