Not unraid specific. Smart home/networking question.

jebusfreek666

Ok, so I am in the process of setting up wired cat6 ethernet cable though my house right now. Currently in the planning and purchasing stages, and I like to attempt to think through every little possible scenario before I do anything to try and curtail any additional headaches. I have several hubs/bridges currently plugged into my wifi routers gigabit ports (Philips hue hub, lutron caseta bridge, HD homerun) and have stated to wonder if these need to be plugged directly into the router after I add my switch, or if they can be added to the switch. The issue is, I am setting up all the connections in the basement. So the plan is to have the cable come in to the main floor where it meets up with the modem and wifi router, then runs to the basement to feed the switch and from there throughout the house. This will allow me to maintain strong wifi through the whole house. But I would like to migrate all of the extra things I can to the basement, out of the way. And if these hubs can be used down there (though the switch and not the router/wifi), that would eliminate 3 things I need to have upstairs. 

Sorry, wasn't sure if this should go here or in the off topic, or somewhere else. But this is the closest thing I have to anyone remotely close to me who doesn't have to be asked: "is it plugged in?" 

Thanks

Network wise, all ports on either the router or the switch should be functionally equivalent. However... those other devices you mentioned, do they need other connectivity besides the wired network? I'm not familiar with how the hue or lutron talk to their connected devices, but if it's RF, you may run into devices that no longer get a good signal if you move them to the basement.

The other thing you mentioned, keeping the wifi router upstairs, seems odd. If you are redesigning your network layout, why not add some real wifi to strategic points in the house instead of relying on a consumer grade router for your wifi signal?

I've been using unifi access points for several years now, it's a HUGE difference in reliability and usability, especially with the ever increasing number of things wanting wifi access.

Typically you bring ALL the services to a single wiring closet, then string home run branches to the spots that need service. The cable would come to the wiring closet as well, then have a good sized UPS feeding the cable modem, the router, and any POE injectors for cameras or wifi. Then run your cat cable to wall and ceiling boxes where you need service. Unifi access points get power from the network connection, so it's super easy to put them in optimal locations, and they don't look like typical wifi routers with antennae sticking out in all directions. They look more like beefy smoke detectors, and are best mounted to a ceiling box.

On 2/11/2019 at 7:26 AM, jonathanm said:

I've been using unifi access points for several years now, it's a HUGE difference in reliability and usability, especially with the ever increasing number of things wanting wifi access.

That's just it. I have a single Asus router, and get extremely good coverage throughout my entire house. I like the idea of having APs all over and out of the way, but it seems like I would be adding them just for the sake of adding something since I already have very good coverage with my current router. I realize that this is an unconventional way of setting it up, but the idea of purchasing even more gear, and the headache of install for really no gain seems silly. Unless I am missing the bigger picture here?

On 2/11/2019 at 4:32 AM, jebusfreek666 said:

I am in the process of setting up wired cat6 ethernet cable though my house right now.

On 2/11/2019 at 4:32 AM, jebusfreek666 said:

I like to attempt to think through every little possible scenario before I do anything

All I did was lay out possible future scenarios. Nobody said you had to replace your wifi now, but in the future you may want CAT6 runs to more places than you were currently thinking about. You asked for advice about where to run cable. I think a few well placed ceiling or high wall outlets may be useful in the future.