Docker Containers - always update ready

Hello,

I've been searching around for a reason to why this may be happening, but can't find anything clear or I could be misunderstanding what's already posted around this issue I'm experiencing:

I have a bunch of containers reporting "update ready" so I go ahead and update them. It will go through the update process and then when they finish, it still reports "update ready". I've had this problem for a while now and I've looked here and there, just assumed it might be fixed with upcoming releases.

The problem too is that I've recently updated to 6.7.0-rc2 and it seemed like the problem was fixed, containers would update and then would report that they were updated, no update ready messages. Now, it is back to doing the same old behavior again showing that "update ready" all the time.

Does anybody know why this would happen?

Thanks

Edited by AboveUnrefined
1 hour ago, bonienl said:

Check your Internet connection, in particular your DNS settings?

Do you use pi-hole?  If so make sure your Unraid server is set to use a different DNS server and not pi-hole

Internet and DNS are completely fine (at least by what I can tell), I do not use pi-hole. I can download the updates and they do seem to install through the interface. The "update ready" message persists.

Edited by AboveUnrefined

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

In this example, I see that Gitlab-CE has "update ready" so I go ahead and click it, this is what I see:

image.thumb.png.bd3f5f24cbe5b8cc19e3bada713f94cb.png

I go ahead and click done. This is what I see next, even after I reload:

image.thumb.png.c0c65050dfc7a21474c5cb05410dc492.png

I guess it updated? Or it didn't? Couldn't really say... I'm supposing not since it's still saying "update ready".

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it did update, it did _something_ but then just re-spawned at the same version as it was before. This issue is happening across a couple different containers sporadically too - today home-assistant/home-assistant is having this issue when it hasn't previously... I've noticed that the issue might sort itself out later on sometime... I just wish I'd know why this might happen.

In the meantime, is there any good way to manually force the update to happen? I'm guessing it might involve removing the container and re-adding it... would the template I used for each container stay the way I had it if I was to do this?

EDIT: I just grew a set and removed the container and image then used the template that I had for that container to re-add it. It STILL showed "update ready" but then when I clicked on it and performed the update, it finally went ahead and marked it as updated. That worked to solve this situation. That's what I'll do from now on if containers decide to not update for some reason...

Edited by AboveUnrefined
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm also experiencing this with home-assistant. Removing and re-adding the container seemed to work but a few days later it regressed to telling me auto update updated it but still saying "update ready". I've also had a few situations where the docker just disappears from the UI and is inaccessible, seemingly randomly and not just when it purports to do an update. Very annoying with a home automation server that suddenly is no longer there to turn the lights on/off like you were expecting! I've found no solution that sticks so for now have removed it from auto-updating to see if that helps at least the docker staying up and running.

On 3/5/2019 at 4:03 AM, knex666 said:

I had kind of the same issue not "updated" but it always says "update ready" that was because I changed things inside the image. So if you exec -it into the container you should see that "update ready" message. Did you do that?

the containers that would have an issue with this weren't altered like that, I think there's a bug either with Docker or the way it's set up in Unraid. Diagnosing it is a pain right now and I found an interim solution that works alright, so I'm ok with it for now.

On 3/4/2019 at 6:50 AM, Lasbo55 said:

I'm also experiencing this with home-assistant. Removing and re-adding the container seemed to work but a few days later it regressed to telling me auto update updated it but still saying "update ready". I've also had a few situations where the docker just disappears from the UI and is inaccessible, seemingly randomly and not just when it purports to do an update. Very annoying with a home automation server that suddenly is no longer there to turn the lights on/off like you were expecting! I've found no solution that sticks so for now have removed it from auto-updating to see if that helps at least the docker staying up and running.

I've experienced this as well and do not utilize the auto updating features because of this sort of thing. At least it is easy to spawn back if things get really messed up like how you're describing with orphan images.

• 5 months later...

I have the same issue as well, dockers show an update.  I update but they pull no data, the docker restarts and the "Update Ready" goes away, but if you check for updates again it comes back.  My issue is limited to only Dockers from linuxserver, dockers from other Repo's work fine.

I've tried all of the different fixes I can find in any of the recent (less than 2 years old) topics, including deleting the Docker Image and creating the dockers again from previous apps but that didn't help.  I also tried changing my DNS settings to use Google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) instead of my router (router was set to use google already) but that didn't help and I'm not running PiHole.  I'm lost on what to do next or where to even begin to fix it.

I'm not sure if it was just coincidence, but it seemed to pop up after I upgraded from 6.5.3 to 6.7.2.  I've also tried to restore back to 6.5.3 but that didn't help either.

Edited by dbs179
  • 1 month later...
On 2/11/2019 at 9:55 AM, bonienl said:

Check your Internet connection, in particular your DNS settings?

Do you use pi-hole?  If so make sure your Unraid server is set to use a different DNS server and not pi-hole

Hello - I was having an issue were all my docker containers were saying update ready. I was using PI Hole and when I switched to google DNS it returned to normal. Also my plex server was not recognizable to anyone anymore even on LAN. thanks for the tip and sorry for the necro. Hope this helps someone else!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...