How to unmount ISO when rebooting VM?

Tom3

Noob to Unraid.   I am trying to install an ubuntu 18.04 VM.  The install goes fine until

the time I have to reboot the VM the first time.  Normally one has to eject the ISO (which

Ubuntu thinks in on a CDROM).   In VirtualBox, there is a button to eject the virtual CDROM

containing the creation ISO file.  I cannot seem to find the way to eject the equivalent in

Unraid.  After rebooting the first time Ubuntu fails with Unable to eject CDROM error in the

onscreen startup text.

I'm sure this is an easy one....

-- Tom

This is normally done with boot order, just set the hard drive to have a higher boot order than the ISO, then on first boot it will see an unformated disk, and boot the ISO, but the second time it will boot the disk...

There are other, more complicated options, like install "Virt-Manager" in the UnRaid app store that gives you something like the Host interface you are talking about with VirtualBox...

Or just use a second screen (Like a cell phone or tablet), and when the install is in the process of rebooting, fully shutdown the VM and edit it however you like...

There are many other options to solve this issue...

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction !

I edited the XML and reversed the boot order number.  It initially had ...vdi = 1 and CDROM = 2, so flipped it the other way around.  That did not solve the problem.

I was able to fix it by force stopping the VM after the installation is completed (when it's asking to be rebooted), then editing the XML back to the original order before booting for the second time.

The inital stop of the VM fails with an error about being unable to unmount the CDROM, which is why I have to force the stop after it hangs.

-- Tom

Uncovered a little more...     Ubuntu 18 can't be shutdown or rebooted from within Ubuntu VM. Instead it has to be shutdown and restarted from the Unraid Dashboard-->Apps panel using Stop and Start.  That fixes up the messiness with editing the boot order.  The boot order generated by the Ubuntu template appears correct without changes.

-- Tom

• Like 1