Cache Drive keeps growing

BSAVAG3

8 minutes ago, Taddeusz said:

You could try installing the QDirStat Docker. It can give you a good overview of your storage.

From the cli you can also use the command "du -sh <target>" on the individual folders on your cache drive to figure it out.

Thank you,  I've downloaded the docker but I'm having trouble locating the cache drive specifically.

Just go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip file to your next post.

There are probably some details you will have to work through and QDirStat won't give you enough information to know anything except what is on cache.

It won't help you fix how things are getting put on cache or why they might be staying on cache.

3 minutes ago, BSAVAG3 said:

Also I've been noticing my docker img keeps filling up quickly.  I was at the default 20GB then I raised it to 40GB and now I see that's almost full.

That almost certainly means you have made a mistake somewhere in the configuration of a docker container so that data that should be external to the container is instead being written inside the container.   

I haven't had a chance to look at your diagnostics yet.

2 minutes ago, BSAVAG3 said:

Also I've been noticing my docker img keeps filling up quickly.  I was at the default 20GB then I raised it to 40GB and now I see that's almost full.

It should never be necessary to have more than 20G for your docker image. Increasing its size will not fix it, it just makes it take longer to fill it up. You need to fix whatever is filling it up.

This is caused by an application that is misconfigured so that it is writing to a path that isn't mapped to Unraid storage. Typical mistakes is not using the same upper/lower case when setting things up, or not putting a '/' character as the first character in a path.

What dockers are you using?

The main one I can think of would be Plex, but after looking the only thing I see with logs is under plexpy.  It's showing

/logs <-- /mnt/cache/appdata/PlexMediaServer/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Logs/      

So does this mean that Plex is storing the logs here?

You have a user share, starts with 'D' and ends with 's' (maybe named Downloads?). It is set to cache-prefer. That setting is going to make Unraid write those files to cache, and when mover runs, it will try (prefer) to get any other files for that share moved from the array to cache. So that is the most likely culprit for your cache filling up.

Also, your appdata share has some files on disk1.

1. Settings - Docker and disable the docker service.
  2. Shares - User Shares and click on that share whose name starts with 'D' and ends with 's', and set it to cache-yes.
  3. Main - Array Operations and click Move Now. Wait for it to finish.
  4. Shares - User Shares and click the Compute All button at the bottom. Wait (takes a while) for it to produce the result then post a screenshot.
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, BSAVAG3 said:

The main one I can think of would be Plex, but after looking the only thing I see with logs is under plexpy.  It's showing

/logs <-- /mnt/cache/appdata/PlexMediaServer/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Logs/      

So does this mean that Plex is storing the logs here?

No, that is the volume mappings in the settings for that container. The likely problem will be within an actual application and what paths you have told it to use. It must only use paths that are mapped.

Do you have any docker application that downloads anything?

1 minute ago, trurl said:

No, that is the volume mappings in the settings for that container. The likely problem will be within an actual application and what paths you have told it to use. It must only use paths that are mapped.

Do you have any docker application that downloads anything?

I do not, I just use my VM to download things.

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

Some of appdata is still on disk1. Maybe there wasn't enough room on cache to move it until the Downloads folder got moved off cache.

Try running mover again, and then check that page again. Instead of Compute All, you can just click on the Compute... next to the appdata share.

When I click on the mover it runs and does nothing.  It appears that there is nothing to move. It lets me click Move Now again immediately