199-UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 1

This - 

199-UDMA_CRC_Error_Count     1

popped up on my system after it told me the parity had errors, I replaced power and sata cable. also moved it to a different slot in a different cage (just in case) I am now running the third preclear to see if anything changes

S.M.A.R.T. Status default                                                

ATTRIBUTE                    INITIAL  STATUS                                                                           #
5-Reallocated_Sector_Ct      0        -
9-Power_On_Hours             247      -
194-Temperature_Celsius      24       -
196-Reallocated_Event_Count  0        -
197-Current_Pending_Sector   0        -
198-Offline_Uncorrectable    0        -
199-UDMA_CRC_Error_Count     1        -

SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED  

On the second preclear i just reseated everything and nothing changed

Should I expect that error to go back to zero and if it doesn't what's my next step?

No, the CRC errors never get reset.   If you acknowledge the error then Unraid will not notify you again unless it increases.    Occasional CRC errors are not something to worry about (although having none is better 😮 ) but if they are happening regularly this indicates some sort of connection issue (typically cabling) that should be rectified.

2 hours ago, icedragonslair said:

I guess I'm concerned because I have never had one prior to this, since this is the parity drive is this a warranty issue I can rma for? And if not, should I recycle that drive for another (swap it out for an identical spare drive that I have) and then run the the parity rebuild?

No.  

CRC errors are virtually always not internal to the drive but almost always caused by something external to the drive.  CRC error are therefore not something that would normally qualify you for an RMA.    Cabling is by far the commonest culprit although other factors such as power supply; failing HBA; or bad RAM can also cause this symptom..   They mean that something interfered with the data being transferred to the drive so what was sent was not what was received.  If no other indication is given you the CRC error will not have affected your data as the system would have done a retry on the CRC error being detected.  However recovery can take a second or two so they are not something you want to be getting thousands of as then performance is being adversely affected.

Edited by itimpi

As was said earlier, CRC errors happen external to the drive. (It is an error in data transmission on the SATA protocol used to send data to-and-from the drive.) There should be nothing wrong with this drive.  They are also corrected when they occur be re-sending the data until it is correct.  

You can safely use this drive for parity or anything else without undue worry.  

54 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

As was said earlier, CRC errors happen external to the drive. (It is an error in data transmission on the SATA protocol used to send data to-and-from the drive.) There should be nothing wrong with this drive.  They are also corrected when they occur be re-sending the data until it is correct.  

You can safely use this drive for parity or anything else without undue worry.  

Thank you so much for the help

35 minutes ago, Niklas said:

I had this now and then before replacing all sata-cables in the server. No increase since.

I have already ordered new ones except for the four breakouts that seem to be fine and I will be replacing those down the road

Thanks again to all, 

Ice

1 hour ago, icedragonslair said:

So is it normal when the rebuild starts that 7 more discs bring that same error?

I have replaced the PS, and all cables and these disks are on 4 different controllers...

These are now showing the same error:

Parity Disk 1
Disk 4,9,10,11,12,13,16

Do you, by any chance, have the SATA cables 'tied' together to make for a neater appearance of the server?  

Have you enabled the Eco on that PS?  (There are  some reports that can cause issues.)

You mention 12,000 errors on disk 12.  What were the errors?  If this is the case and if they are recent errors, I would like to suggest that you post a Diagnostics report as soon as this rebuilt is finished (What were you rebuilding?)      Tools   >>>    Diagnostics  

No to enabling eco mode on the PS, They were read errors...I reset all cables and am trying again...so far at 34% of the parity rebuild with no troubles.However, it was at 56% when this happened before, keep your fingers crossed...'ALL' new cables and extensions arrive on Friday (a 'just in case') and will swap them out then...New PS on the way for Monday, if it doesn't need it , it can sit on the shelf. new controller (8-port) planned for next week and I already have new memory and another board here...if I have too it means a new build and sell the old  :(  (or keep it for spares if I can afford too)

As far as 'giving up and rebuilding' if this doesn't work than I may go a different way...meaning tossing in the towel and just use huge externals

Edited by icedragonslair
On 2/12/2019 at 9:14 PM, Frank1940 said:

I just noticed that you have all WD HD's.  Have you seen this Tech advisory from WD?

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=10477

Yes I did, Have I not only never had issues...but at the time of the advisory i checked to make sure all was in order (they are all shrouded). A lot better than the alternative I had before (begins with an 'S' lol)
I normally use locking power and sata cables, but I have not tried them with the iStarUSA backplane cages see this Link Here

Edited by icedragonslair

I seem to have this all moving along again after replacing all the cables. I have also replaced all power extensions with locking ones.

There is however one issue, It seems the parity check is now running every night at 0100 hours, versus weekly at 0100 hours, even though I have turned off the scheduler and then turned it back on, with the correct date/time. Is there a way to reset this to default then set it again?