SMB shares flaky if running VMs or Dockers

DBerry2

Hello everyone,

I've got a bit of an odd one, I'm running unraid 6.6.6 on an i7 box with 28GB of ram but have found that any time I run a docker image or VM soon after I run it my SMB shares seem to go flaky. coping data from the file server will fail most of the time getting to about 50% then failing. I've attached a copy of the error I get from a client desktop.

When I stop the docker or VM the issues seem to go away, it's a real pain and so far I haven't been able to find a fix for it.

Has anyone out there see something like this before?

thanks 

Danny

copy error.JPG

Nothing obvious except most of your disks are full.

Those diagnostics have Docker and VM services disabled so I can't tell much about them but the settings look OK.

I haven't looked at SMART for each of your many disks since you didn't specifically mention any disk problems. On the Dashboard page, are you seeing any SMART warnings for any of them?

I also haven't looked at each of your User Share settings because you have an unusually large number (239) of configuration files for your User Shares. Probably most of those aren't currently being used, I assume you don't really have 239 User Shares.

Post a screenshot of Shares - User Shares. And tell me if you have any SMART warnings.

23 hours ago, jbartlett said:

Might be unrelated but I've experienced the shares dropping out when accessing via machine name instead of IP. Never any issues when by IP.

Been happening throughout the entire 6.x version.

Yah, IP is best, but this is a bit of a known issue for Windows Lan Manager...

If you don't want to read up more than you ever wanted to know about Windows networking, then try this out:

Or just paste this in the install page on the host plugin:

https://raw.github.com/bergware/dynamix/master/unRAIDv6/dynamix.local.master.plg

This will make the host the local master, and remove most name issues with networking...

31 minutes ago, jbartlett said:

I've been using his Local Master plugin for years. I'll try to make a point of checking to see if the NAS is still the local master the next time I see issues. It currently is the LM.

Lets face it, that plugin is worth installing just for the little Yoda you get on the screen.   But joking aside, I always have it installed as well.