What's the best place for own mounts

5 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

For a test I would like to create own mount points - without Unassigned Devices. What's the best place for the base folder that will hold my own mount points?

- /mnt/myOwnFolder ?

- /mnt/cache/system/myOwnFolder ?

- /boot/???/myOwnFolder ?

Thanks in advance.

I created some for my own use under /mnt/disks as that seemed the least likely to cause problems.    However you will need to recreate the mount points and remount any such devices using either the go file or User Scripts as such mounts do not survive reboots.

29 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

I tried /mnt/disks today for my own mounts. But when I did remove some old one from Unassigned Devices, some, not all, of my own mounts were removed as well. I don't know if this was accidently or by design but it scared me to hell. So, currently I use /mnt/hawi/... but I'm not sure if this ok.

Don't use /mnt/disks/ for anything.  UD manages that and can interfere as you found out.

3 hours ago, dlandon said:

Don't use /mnt/disks/ for anything.  UD manages that and can interfere as you found out.

Really?  Did not know that

It should be noted that if you add a mount point at /mnt then FCP will complain that it shouldn't be there and recommends to use /mnt/disks instead

2 minutes ago, Squid said:

Really?  Did not know that

It should be noted that if you add a mount point at /mnt then FCP will complain that it shouldn't be there and recommends to use /mnt/disks instead

Normally not a problem, but is this case the user mounted a disk that was already set up by UD and when he deleted it, the mount got messed up.  I really don't think it is good idea regardless.

1 minute ago, dlandon said:

Normally not a problem, but is this case the user mounted a disk that was already set up by UD and when he deleted it, the mount got messed up.  I really don't think it is good idea regardless.

/mnt is out because unRaid potentially manages everything in there with the exception of /mnt/disks.  Seems to me though (without reading the thread) that it's an edge case scenario, so I'll keep FCP recommending /mnt/disks, especially since if you're manually creating a mount point you should know not to have it interfere in the first place with any mounts created by UD.

1 minute ago, Squid said:

/mnt is out because unRaid potentially manages everything in there with the exception of /mnt/disks.  Seems to me though (without reading the thread) that it's an edge case scenario, so I'll keep FCP recommending /mnt/disks, especially since if you're manually creating a mount point you should know not to have it interfere in the first place with any mounts created by UD.

Yea, the user can take that risk.  Why would someone want to mount anything manually anyway?  Doesn't UD handle just about every case of mounting things that is needed?  Only thing I can think of that isn't covered is a cloud mount.

7 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Why would someone want to mount anything manually anyway?

In my case, muscle memory is the primary reason (I'm so used to typing /tmp/GitHub/...) to hit a desktop share.

Secondary reason for me at least is that (and I could be wrong here - can't confirm as someone is currently watching a stream) is doesn't UD umount everything at array stop? I don't necessarily want that.  But don't change it for me...  I'm an edge case

Edited by Squid
  • 1 year later...

UD handle just about every case of mounting things that is needed?

I'm still at /mnt/hawi because the Main Page had a problem with 2x24 devices in UD. When hitting the Main tab to fast twice the GUI stalled - at least in 2019. A couple of User Scripts, tight to some Array Events work happily since over a year now.

Why 2x24 devices? One Server, several Direct Attached Storage boxes, strict individual disk usage to avoid unnessessary spinups - and it works perfect 24/7/365.

17 hours ago, Phoenix Down said:

I found this thread while researching where to put rclone remote mount (i.e. Google Drive), and seems like the general consensus is to put it in "/mnt/disks". Any reason why I should not do that?

Gdrive mounts via rclone should be done on something like /mnt/cache/mount_gdrive/[mountname] (assuming you set up a cache-only share called mount_gdrive).

The consensus is to not use /mnt/disks because it's managed by UD and will cause confusion / conflict.

You can actually just mount on /mnt/ if you want to but have to make sure it isn't causing any conflict e.g. with /mnt/disk# /mnt/cache /mnt/user /mnt/user0 and (for 6.9.0) /mnt/[pool name]. Fix common problem will shout an error but just click ignore since it's intentional.

I mount my zfs stuff directly on /mnt/ since I treat my zfs pools just like unraid (cache) pools.

• Thanks 1