spin down unassigned disks

• 2 weeks later...

Any devices outside the array are not directly controlled by emhttp and do not have associated settings, like spin down delay.

It is not a trivial exercise to include unassigned devices into the logic used for array devices, and normal use case is to assign devices to the array or cache once they are physically installed.

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2019 at 1:40 AM, BelgarionNL said:

I want to use 2x old 2tb mybooks as a on-site backup of my more critical array data. but yea if it wont spin down I dont see that happening anytime soon.

I get nuhll point of how it should be working because thats exactly how I want it to work too.

It won't be a backup, if you keep the disks connected to the system, even if they are spun down...

• 3 months later...
On 4/1/2019 at 2:34 PM, pappaq said:

It won't be a backup, if you keep the disks connected to the system, even if they are spun down...

I don't get this comment. It's a backup. It may not be offsite, but it's definitely a backup!

Anyway, I have a WD MyBook USB drive attached to my box for on-site backups. It's mounted via Unassigned Devices and backup is via Duplicati (with one backup kicking off each night). I want it spun down the rest of the time. I've found the following works:

hdparm -B 127 /dev/sdb
hdparm -S 12 /dev/sdb

First command switches on power-management. Second sets spin down to 2 minutes.

I've had the put these commands in /boot/config/go as they don't persist after a reboot.

I've also found that viewing the webUI 'main' screen spins the disk back up, which is a shame but liveable with unless anyone can suggest a way to avoid this. Interestingly I have another drive attached in exactly the same way (Segate external) and this does spin down without any of this. It also doesn't spin up as the WD does when I view the web ui so the WD must be responding to something Unassigned Devices is sending.

I hope this is helpful to the OP.

Edited by page3
15 hours ago, page3 said:

I don't get this comment. It's a backup. It may not be offsite, but it's definitely a backup!

As long as the drives are physically connected to the server, the data is not secured against crypto viruses and other ransomware, so no backup. But do as you please.

9 hours ago, pappaq said:

As long as the drives are physically connected to the server, the data is not secured against crypto viruses and other ransomware, so no backup. But do as you please.

That an interesting observation and one I hadn’t considered. 

I swap between external drives, taking one offsite so the window of attack is lessoned, if not eliminated. I’ll have to consider if I change my backup practice, or if I’m willing to take the (small imho) risk.

Thanks for the clarification. 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 7/1/2019 at 5:50 PM, page3 said:

Anyway, I have a WD MyBook USB drive attached to my box for on-site backups. It's mounted via Unassigned Devices and backup is via Duplicati (with one backup kicking off each night). I want it spun down the rest of the time. I've found the following works:

hdparm -B 127 /dev/sdb
hdparm -S 12 /dev/sdb

First command switches on power-management. Second sets spin down to 2 minutes.

I've had the put these commands in /boot/config/go as they don't persist after a reboot.

I've also found that viewing the webUI 'main' screen spins the disk back up, which is a shame but liveable with unless anyone can suggest a way to avoid this. Interestingly I have another drive attached in exactly the same way (Segate external) and this does spin down without any of this. It also doesn't spin up as the WD does when I view the web ui so the WD must be responding to something Unassigned Devices is sending.

I hope this is helpful to the OP.

thanks for the insight as I am also geting the same issue with my unasigned drivers, which are WD REDS.

I am also looking at a temp solution to backup my data as my main off site backup server is full, and I like your ideal,    but I am looking at using a script command to copy the data over then using duplicti.