Preclear before shucking?

5 minutes ago, tucansam said:

Not even sure if its possible to preclear a USB drive, although I don't see why not.  Aside from heat, are there any issues?  I figure its probably best practice to test a drive a bit before violating the warranty.  What's the standard procedure here?

Thanks.

It is possible to preclear USB drives without issue. 

2 hours ago, tucansam said:

I'll let you guys know next month how it went.

Nobody said it was fast, just that it worked. Be sure to keep the drive well ventilated.

Personally I shuck and preclear, but then again, I generally can shuck without damaging the enclosure or leaving any signs of entry. Use soft pry tools, not metal.

• 9 months later...

I do it the same way you PreClear internal drives. I plug the usb3 drive into usb3 port then run the PreClear process on it. Nothing magical or difficult at all. 

What are you having trouble with, do you not have usb3 ports, do you not have usb3 cable, do you not know how to run preclear?

Only real suggestion is to have a fan running over the external enclosure to keep it cool.

Edited by BRiT
On 11/27/2019 at 10:03 AM, CHBMB said:

2019-11-27_18-03.thumb.png.aa8f4cb55020036555ffb40f4d193c40.png

Click that.

I was able to figure it out. Finding the location in the GUI was not the problem I was having. I have 3 drives to do and only one was showing up at any one time for some reason. I popped in a USB 3.0 card and have two plugged into it and one into the USB 3.0 built into the motherboard and all of them show fine at the same time now. I'm well into my drive tests.

Untitled.png

The drive that is only doing one clear instead of two already went through and completed a clear while waiting for the USB 3.0 card.

Edited by GyroDragona