***GUIDE*** Plex Hardware Acceleration using Intel Quick Sync

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2022 at 10:59 AM, Unpack5920 said:

Hi,

the blacklist is not a good idea. ;-)

If i915 is in use, you should ensure that Plex is stopped before you make the changes.

Try these lines in the console:

rmmod i915
echo "options i915 enable_fbc=1 enable_guc=3" > /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf
modprobe i915

cat /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf

should show you the new settings for the driver which will be loaded with "mod probe i915"

Looks like HW-Acceleration works fine for you.

The settings in the "go" files should ensure, that the setting will be automatically done after reboot.

Which kind of error-message do you get?

Thank you very much, I was trying to make the plex transcoding work for days and I couldn't, now it worked.

I stumbled upon this thread as I'm having issues using HW transcoding when HDR tonemapping is enabled in Plex (using the hotio container). I have an Intel i3-10100 CPU with quicksync, and am running Unraid v6.11.5. HW transcoding works flawlessly in all other circumstances.

Are there any recurring issues with HW transcoding for HDR tonemapping that might cause this? Or is it more likely to be my config? I have /dev/dri/ mapped as a device in the container itself, then:

modprobe i915
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

..added to /boot/config/go

Quick edit to mention that I removed the above lines from my /boot/config/go file as I understand these are no longer needed. Hasn't fixed my issue though unfortunately.

Edited by yamraid
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

Thanks to this guide i have managed to get GPU transcoding working on my intel iGPU while also having an Nvidia 2070 installed using the HardwareDevicePath="/dev/dri/renderD129" in the preferences file.

The problem I am having is after rebooting unraid it seems like the number of the graphics cards sometimes switches. ie the iGPU is now renderD128 instead of renderD129.

Is there anything I can do to stop this happening?

Thanks

The only solution I have found to the above problem is to bind the 2070 to vfio at boot. I have then created a small ubuntu vm which can be enabled to put the graphics card into low power states when it isn't being used on my windows vm.

Might not be the most elegant solution but it appears to be working.

• 1 month later...

I will literally paypal anyone 20 to get hw transcoding on my N5105 Jasper Lake box using the LinuxServer container to work.  I've lost count of how many times I've tried between running docker on bare metal, my asustor through ADM, and now my asustor running unRAID.

Short details:

1. /dev/dri is being passed and shows in the container wide open
  2. /dev/dri permissions seem correct querying user abc and validating group membership against /dev/dri
  3.  Log files show attempts to use hw but no device is available
  4. Running the latest unRAID 
  5. What the hell else is there.....

However, I can spin up a VM, pass the gpu through, and have hw transcoding done in less then 5.  I am trying sooooooo hard to abandon this route as its not efficient at all on my current resources.

If anyone has the time to do screen sharing, could be a quick easy 20 bucks and saving me from compulsively buying 1300 in equipment, setting my asustor on my porch, and punting it as far as I can.  Then going inside to grab a bat to finish it off in grand 'Office Space' style while gangsters paradise plays on the portable speaker in the background.....

Sanity has left me...

BTW, brand new user, currently in trial mode to see if I really want to convert over.  Hi.

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, skrumzy said:

I will literally paypal anyone 20 to get hw transcoding on my N5105 Jasper Lake box using the LinuxServer container to work.  I've lost count of how many times I've tried between running docker on bare metal, my asustor through ADM, and now my asustor running unRAID.

Short details:

1. /dev/dri is being passed and shows in the container wide open
  2. /dev/dri permissions seem correct querying user abc and validating group membership against /dev/dri
  3.  Log files show attempts to use hw but no device is available
  4. Running the latest unRAID 
  5. What the hell else is there.....

However, I can spin up a VM, pass the gpu through, and have hw transcoding done in less then 5.  I am trying sooooooo hard to abandon this route as its not efficient at all on my current resources.

If anyone has the time to do screen sharing, could be a quick easy 20 bucks and saving me from compulsively buying 1300 in equipment, setting my asustor on my porch, and punting it as far as I can.  Then going inside to grab a bat to finish it off in grand 'Office Space' style while gangsters paradise plays on the portable speaker in the background.....

Sanity has left me...

BTW, brand new user, currently in trial mode to see if I really want to convert over.  Hi.

#Asustor #N5105 #Jasper
Fixed it.........finally.

For anyone else struggling, my cure, was to update the i915.conf file on the unRAID stick by removing the force_probe=4c8a option and replacing it with enable_guc=2.  I searched a little bit(not much) on what force_probe=4c8a does and couldn't find anything.  Updating the conf and executing modprobe in the OS did not reload the module and work for me.  I had to update the i915.conf on the USB to have the settings on boot otherwise unRAID just overwrites the file.

YMMV but use the graphic to determine which GuC and HuC level you need...
image.png.1e5a22c6da0d6d5c688b95b3cb1423a9.png

Edited by skrumzy
  • Thanks 3
  • 1 month later...

hello, i have just upgrade to a i5 13500 and prime z790 mobo. i have been trying to get Quick sync to work, but just keeps buffing. i have added --device /dev/dri:/dev/dri to Extra Parameters. i have edit the go file and no luck. i thick i have missed something could someone help me. as i had amd ryzen chip before and p2000 with no problem

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2023 at 5:17 AM, skrumzy said:

#Asustor #N5105 #Jasper

For anyone else struggling, my cure, was to update the i915.conf file on the unRAID stick by removing the force_probe=4c8a option and replacing it with enable_guc=2.  I searched a little bit(not much) on what force_probe=4c8a does and couldn't find anything.  Updating the conf and executing modprobe in the OS did not reload the module and work for me.  I had to update the i915.conf on the USB to have the settings on boot otherwise unRAID just overwrites the file.

Can confirm this works! Still spent forever figuring it out as I use Jellyfin, but I'm glad I checked out the Plex forum too. Thanks :)

This issue + fix is actually documented within Jellyfin's documentation but I was modifying the file not on the USB stick like skrumzy did.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/30/2023 at 2:17 PM, skrumzy said:

#Asustor #N5105 #Jasper

I'm trying to get plex transcoding to work with my asrock j5005 but i can't. I created the i915.conf file with this comand:

mkdir -p /boot/config/modprobe.d

echo "options i915 enable_fbc=1 enable_guc=3" > /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

I tried to change the guc=2 too, but still not working.

What am I doing wrong? The gpu works fine with unmanic

1 hour ago, theFPVgeek said:

Updated my unraid to the latest 6.12.4 and binhex-plexpass docker (Plex Version 4.108.0) and it seems to have broken intel quick sync hardware acceleration.   I re-followed the instructions to enable but still no luck.  Anyone else have issues?

2023-09-01_10-33-58.thumb.png.f92a3c2338100231f30f14006e99ec34.png

2023-09-01_10-35-16.png

2023-09-01_10-37-04.png

2023-09-01_10-40-10.png

2023-09-01_10-41-05.png

2023-09-01_10-42-53.png

2023-09-01_10-43-12.png

I kinda broke on the newer verison of unraid. But its a bit more complicated than. That seems it still works with an older version of the plex media server itself.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/hdr-tone-mapping-with-hw-transcoding-not-working-for-12900k-cpu-on-pms-version-1-32-5-7210/845595/69

51 minutes ago, david279 said:

I kinda broke on the newer verison of unraid. But its a bit more complicated than. That seems it still works with an older version of the plex media server itself.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/hdr-tone-mapping-with-hw-transcoding-not-working-for-12900k-cpu-on-pms-version-1-32-5-7210/845595/69

hmm it was working with unRAID 6.12.3 and plex version right before the latest binhex-plex update (4.107??? maybe)

Edited by theFPVgeek

Question regarding RTX A2000 vs i7 12700 Quicksync. I have a lot of shows that are 1080p HEVC and some clients transcode those to x264. I have seen some comparisons of the performance between NVIDIA and Quicksync with 4K HEVC content but how does it compare when transcoding 1080p HEVC to x264? I would prefer to save power and not use a dedicated GPU but I need about 7-10 simultaneous transcode capability and not sure the 12700 is up to that specific task.

Any thoughts? 

Noticed over the weekend that transcoding 4k content was not utilising hardware acceleration on our i5-11400.

If i disabled tone mapping in the plex options, it would work but who wants transcoded hdr content without tone mapping?

We use the linuxserver release and rolled back from 1.32.5.7349-8f4248874 to 1.32.5.7328-2632c9d3a which fixed it immediately.