***GUIDE*** Plex Hardware Acceleration using Intel Quick Sync

25 minutes ago, Taddeusz said:

The left side is the original video format, in this case HEVC. That’s what it is decoding. The right side is showing that it is encoding to H.264 using hardware.

Your E3 is a Haswell architecture CPU so it cannot decode or encode HEVC in hardware.

Ok thanks for your answer

2 hours ago, Taddeusz said:

@Zonediver Just to discount Quick Sync hardware acceleration out of hand because it doesn’t meet your own quality standards doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be acceptable for others in different situations. Coming on here berating others for using it is rather rude.

Thats not rude - it's a fact - QuickSync transcoding needs "extra money" (PlexPass) - thats useless.

Investing in a stronger CPU makes more sense. But his Xeon is fast enough - so he dont need QuickSync transcoding and can safe money too.

Edited by Zonediver
13 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

Thats not rude - it's a fact - QuickSync transcoding needs "extra money" (PlexPass) - thats useless.

Investing in a stronger CPU makes more sense. But his Xeon is fast enough - so he dont need QuickSync transcoding and can safe money too.

Yes it's rude and not for you decide. You don't know anything what i want or need so mind your own business.

Edited by Lappen71
7 minutes ago, Lappen71 said:

Yes it's rude and not for you decide. You don't anything what i want or need so mind your own business.

You didn't tell us, "what you want" - so what do you want? And if you dont like my comment, just ignore it... 😉

And besides, I think you do not have enough experience. Therefore also the forum that should show you alternatives.

Edited by Zonediver
4 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

You didn't tell us, "what you want" - so what do you want? And if you dont like my comment, just ignore it... 😉

And besides, I think you do not have enough experience. Therefore also the forum that you should show alternatives

Ignore the comment you directing to me? Are you really this stupid.

Mind you business i got the answer i wanted. 

I like Quicksync, it allows those on crappy connections to get videos without putting a burden on my machine. With Quicksync my CPU hardly registers any work. Without it it maxes out a core. Causing buffering and a poor viewing experience. Some people can't do anything about their connection speed as they're out in the sticks. So +1 to QuickSync.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, sittingmongoose said:

Has anyone gotten 9 series igpus to use quicksync in unraid 6.8 rc?  Tried following this guide and while I can ls and get the right info, plex isnt kicking to HW.  I have a 9900k.

I assume this is not the issue, but, is your version of Plex the latest (1.18.0.xxxx)?  Plex began supporting 9th-generation CPUs with version 1.17.0.xxxx so you need to have at least that version of PMS installed.

3 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

I assume this is not the issue, but, is your version of Plex the latest (1.18.0.xxxx)?  Plex began supporting 9th-generation CPUs with version 1.17.0.xxxx so you need to have at least that version of PMS installed.

I have the newest beta build.  I also know my igpu is enabled because it works in my VM.  I also have a display dongle plugged into the igpu as well.  And i disabled my vm before i tried doing anything with plex.

Edited by sittingmongoose
1 minute ago, sittingmongoose said:

I tried emby but that didnt work.  I have handbrake but I dont know how to use it lol

Well, if you had it properly set up in Emby and it also did not work there, that's an indication there might still be Linux kernel/i915 UHD 630 driver issues. 

Unfortunately, I am still using a 5th generation Skylake CPU in which everything works so I cannot test 9th generation iGPU support.

Perhaps someone with a 9th generation CPU/iGPU will chime in.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, stormense said:

cd dev/drils was not working for med but 

cd /dev/dri

# ls
by-path/  card0  renderD128

works and rest of the guide help me. Now I have HW transcoding on my I5 6500.

Take two days to figure out what was wrong.

It would be useful if the original post could be updated to insert the missing linefeeds.

• Like 1
On 10/17/2019 at 8:24 PM, stormense said:

cd dev/drils was not working for med but 

cd /dev/dri

# ls
by-path/  card0  renderD128

works and rest of the guide help me. Now I have HW transcoding on my I5 6500.

Take two days to figure out what was wrong.

Apologies, for some reason all the carriage returns were removed from my code blocks. All sorted now :) Thanks for the heads up

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

So I have a Xeon E-2176g and Supermicro X11SCZ-F motherboard. Reading the first post, it mentioned that if the board has IPMI than it getting Quick Sync to work wouldn't be possible.

I'm assuming my configuration falls within that category and if it does, is there any way to get it working?

12 minutes ago, Geran said:

So I have a Xeon E-2176g and Supermicro X11SCZ-F motherboard. Reading the first post, it mentioned that if the board has IPMI than it getting Quick Sync to work wouldn't be possible.

I'm assuming my configuration falls within that category and if it does, is there any way to get it working?

It works. This is from a different motherboard but it’s the same company and chipset. Everything should be the same. 

The reason some boards won’t work is because their implementation of IPMI sends all video through the IPMI controller. This is done so that you can “Remote Desktop” into your machine using IPMI.

As a result your Intel chip isn’t recognised as being the display adapter, rather it’s the IPMI controller.

I can understand why it’s done this way but it can make for a bit of hassle in occasions such as this.

@ramblinreck47 mentioned it might work though. Only other option would be to install a graphics card, but then you lose quick sync altogether. HW transcoding is possible with some Nvidia cards if you’re going that route.

Give it a shot though it might work!

The public only see the accomplished trick;

They have no conception of the torturous preliminary self-training that was necessary to conquer that fear.

- J.C Cannell, The Secrets of Houdini