***GUIDE*** Plex Hardware Acceleration using Intel Quick Sync

10 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Nothing to do with unRAID.  I am running Quicksync just fine on an i5-4590 with i915 drivers.

With the new new way of loading i915 drivers introduced in unRAID 6.9, many do not see the /dev/dri folder but iGPU still works for hardware transcoding.

Aha, so I just follow the rest of the guide?

Edit: got it to work :) Works fine for the formats supported. One day I may upgrade the server to an 10th gen to get more supported formats and better quality, but it works just fine.

Edited by isvein

Running an i5-10400 (Intel 630 graphics) and having an issue.

This was all working perfectly fine, flawlessly in fact, about a week ago on 6.9.1, and then today out of nowhere suddenly transcode stopped working in Plex, I tried restarting the Plex container and it failed due to /dev/dri not existing. So I went and checked /dev/dri and the directory no longer existed.

image.png.41aea950ed0e40032eb334700eabd2b2.png

The server had not rebooted since sometime prior to setting up hardware transcoding, so I decided to pick this time to upgrade to Unraid 6.9.2. Issue remained after update. I then thought maybe integrated CPU graphics had somehow become disabled in the BIOS, but no such luck, it was on. Then thought maybe the Intel GPU TOP app was causing a conflict, so I uninstalled it and rebooted, no dice. Problem remains.

This is my go file, but I don't think it matters since modprobe i915 doesn't seem to be functional.

image.png.37b2f8d81b718ba203b7ecfa62766791.png

I'm plum out of ideas. Thoughts on next steps?

Edited by MuNaught
13 hours ago, MuNaught said:

Running an i5-10400 (Intel 630 graphics) and having an issue.

This was all working perfectly fine, flawlessly in fact, about a week ago on 6.9.1, and then today out of nowhere suddenly transcode stopped working in Plex, I tried restarting the Plex container and it failed due to /dev/dri not existing. So I went and checked /dev/dri and the directory no longer existed.

image.png.41aea950ed0e40032eb334700eabd2b2.png

The server had not rebooted since sometime prior to setting up hardware transcoding, so I decided to pick this time to upgrade to Unraid 6.9.2. Issue remained after update. I then thought maybe integrated CPU graphics had somehow become disabled in the BIOS, but no such luck, it was on. Then thought maybe the Intel GPU TOP app was causing a conflict, so I uninstalled it and rebooted, no dice. Problem remains.

This is my go file, but I don't think it matters since modprobe i915 doesn't seem to be functional.

image.png.37b2f8d81b718ba203b7ecfa62766791.png

I'm plum out of ideas. Thoughts on next steps?

The bottom of page 11, post by craigr has the modifications you need to do for 6.9.1 and later. For some reason the official link is dead but he quoted it.

Then you need to downgrade to Plex 1.22.0.4163.

36 minutes ago, TopherHax said:

The bottom of page 11, post by craigr has the modifications you need to do for 6.9.1 and later. For some reason the official link is dead but he quoted it.

Then you need to downgrade to Plex 1.22.0.4163.

Thanks for the tip. I took a look at cragr's post, but my \etc\modprobe.d folder does not have any of those "blacklist" files. It's an empty directory.

I also don't have any of the directories \flash\config\modprobe.d\ to create an empty i915.config file, and am unable to create these directories in Krusader.

Any ideas?

Here's what I have listed in Tools > System Devices if this is any help.

image.png

Edited by MuNaught
9 minutes ago, MuNaught said:

Thanks for the tip. I took a look at cragr's post, but my \etc\modprobe.d folder does not have any of those "blacklist" files. It's an empty directory.

I also don't have any of the directories \flash\config\modprobe.d\ to create an empty i915.config file, and am unable to create these directories in Krusader.

Any ideas?

Run this in unraid terminal to create the empty file:

touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

Then edit your go file and remove the last 2 lines.

Then downgrade plex to version 1.22.0.4163

26 minutes ago, TopherHax said:

Problem solved. I'm documenting this in case someone runs into the same issue.

The last 2 lines had already been removed from the go file.

image.png.7309eedd4f3a2d53d061fddfbc6a7738.png

touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf worked, and I've rebooted since just to be safe, but the graphics card was still not working with Intel GPU Top nor GPU Statistics.

image.png.b9831b1313946f48313a647e3ef38bee.png

image.png.9ceb4a7a9c03e4425e29f91d133a7df9.png

image.png.b5e64b68f076d2bc22d867ac7aa214cb.png

I then noticed that my Windows VM was set to iGPU. I stopped the VM, changed this to VNC and re-started the VM.

image.thumb.png.e3d2aac91a6e4d8846e710b8a19b5007.png

Boom. Everything is working. So there you go, if you're having a similar problem, make sure your VMs aren't using the iGPU.

image.thumb.png.d0317d5f279ef20772995b441d58a26b.png

Edited by MuNaught
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, TopherHax said:

For whatever reason, I do not need to downgrade PLEX.  On my system hardware acceleration of all kinds including h.265 4k HDR with tone mapping is working properly on all of the newest PLEX Server releases.  My config is in my signature.  Just saying not everyone may need to downgrade PLEX.  I have no idea why it works fine for some and not others.

craigr

11 hours ago, MuNaught said:

Any ideas?

Here's what I have listed in Tools > System Devices if this is any help.

image.png

Yeah, it doesn't matter if the file or directory is there or not, just create it.  You can use:

Or simply navigate to the directory in your FLASH share and use Windows or whatever OS you are running.  I did it in my VM's GUI.

craigr

Edited by craigr

So, can someone please help to to straighten some things out for me.

Also for me HW has stopped working for 4k videos HDR to SDR with tone mapping on in Plex settings. For other stuff HW works.

In my GO file I've had that modprobe line, even after the update to 6.9.1 but I've also still got the /dev/dri folder.

I've read that the problem in some way may be with Plex, and not an Unraid error?

So, what should I do now? I've removed the modprobe line in the GO file, and in my Plex settings I still use the --device=/dev/dri as Extra Parameters, and after a reboot I still got that folder.

image.png.9f55a1177b6e17cff510733c22b22912.png

My HW still works, as long as I don't enabled the HDR tonemapping setting again.

Got a i3 10100, worth mentioning...

/Söder

33 minutes ago, soder said:

So, can someone please help to to straighten some things out for me.

Also for me HW has stopped working for 4k videos HDR to SDR with tone mapping on in Plex settings. For other stuff HW works.

In my GO file I've had that modprobe line, even after the update to 6.9.1 but I've also still got the /dev/dri folder.

I've read that the problem in some way may be with Plex, and not an Unraid error?

So, what should I do now? I've removed the modprobe line in the GO file, and in my Plex settings I still use the --device=/dev/dri as Extra Parameters, and after a reboot I still got that folder.

image.png.9f55a1177b6e17cff510733c22b22912.png

My HW still works, as long as I don't enabled the HDR tonemapping setting again.

Got a i3 10100, worth mentioning...

/Söder

If you have an issue HDR to SDR tonemapping then downgrade plex to version 1.22.0.4163

There's a bug in plex, they are currently working on fixing it but until then downgrade is best solution.

39 minutes ago, TopherHax said:

If you have an issue HDR to SDR tonemapping then downgrade plex to version 1.22.0.4163

There's a bug in plex, they are currently working on fixing it but until then downgrade is best solution.

But, how do I do that in Unraid with Plex in docker? Is there an easy way?

Edit: I'm using this docker (are there any differences on the dockers, anyone I should use instead?). https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex/ and when when changing from "latest" to "1.22.0.4163" in VERSION on the "edit docker page" in Unraid and press Apply, I'm still on Version 1.22.2.4282 in app.plex.tv when I'm checking from a browser.

Edit2: Is it version-1.22.0.4163-d8c4875dd I shall write instead? Or do I need to specify more?

Edit3: 1.22.0.4163-d8c4875dd was the exact line. Now I'm down do the working version.

When Plex has fixed the problem, what is the best version to be on then? docker, latest or public?

/Söder

Edited by soder
  • Thanks 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm so sorry to ask this question for the 8 million time, I appreciate your patience.  Complete noob here when it comes to Unraid and Plex.

When I first built this machine:

Asus Tuf H470 -PRO

i5-10400

(no discrete GPU)

UNRAID version was initially 6.9.1 (at some point went to 6.9.2)  - starting version could have been 6.9.0, don't remember

Tried reverting Unraid from 6.9.2 to 6.9.1, didn't help.

Using the official PLEX repository

Plex Version 1.22.3.4392  (not the version I started with)

A few weeks back - I initially followed the steps on the first page and was successful in enabling HW transcoding with the intel iGPU.

Just recently I noticed it's not working anymore (no more HW indication and high CPU usage numbers)

I have tried countless things, tried the new steps above.  However, no idea how to downgrade the Plex version (so not everything from above).  

Didn't seem to need an HDMI fake monitor do-dad, previously worked without it.  Tonight, I Tried hooking up a monitor to see if that was the issue.  Still can't get it to work.

Could downgrading the Plex version help and how do I do that?

Appreciate all the help.

Brian.

****UPDATE****

It seems that it is only 4K HDR files that I am having trouble with.  4K in standard DR seem to be ok for transcoding via the iGPU.

This requires that PLEX version downgrade?

Edited by BrianL

Ok, so I’ve got a HP Gen 8 Microserver, which (as mentioned on the first page) has the Matrox GPU issue. I’ve installed a Xeon 1260L CPU in it, which has intel quick sync. 

I see that you have recommended using a Nvidia plugin for this scenario? Are there any guides to getting this working? Or am I out of luck?

I’m using Plex (and trying Emby) for live Tv via HDHomeRun and when transcoding to play on firestick, I often see my CPU maxing out and playback stutters and freezes. It’s generally fine when I play on Apple TV (presume it’s direct playing)?

Any ideas?

On 4/29/2021 at 3:01 AM, BrianL said:

I'm so sorry to ask this question for the 8 million time, I appreciate your patience.  Complete noob here when it comes to Unraid and Plex.

When I first built this machine:

Asus Tuf H470 -PRO

i5-10400

(no discrete GPU)

UNRAID version was initially 6.9.1 (at some point went to 6.9.2)  - starting version could have been 6.9.0, don't remember

Tried reverting Unraid from 6.9.2 to 6.9.1, didn't help.

Using the official PLEX repository

Plex Version 1.22.3.4392  (not the version I started with)

A few weeks back - I initially followed the steps on the first page and was successful in enabling HW transcoding with the intel iGPU.

Just recently I noticed it's not working anymore (no more HW indication and high CPU usage numbers)

I have tried countless things, tried the new steps above.  However, no idea how to downgrade the Plex version (so not everything from above).  

Didn't seem to need an HDMI fake monitor do-dad, previously worked without it.  Tonight, I Tried hooking up a monitor to see if that was the issue.  Still can't get it to work.

Could downgrading the Plex version help and how do I do that?

Appreciate all the help.

Brian.

****UPDATE****

It seems that it is only 4K HDR files that I am having trouble with.  4K in standard DR seem to be ok for transcoding via the iGPU.

This requires that PLEX version downgrade?

Check my post above, where I find out how to downgrade. It's just to change "latest" to a specific version you want, and press Apply. Then the docker is rebuilt.

I've read that the newer version 1.23 should have fixed this problem with 4K HDR hw to SDR issue, but the docker is still not updated to 1.23.

image.png

/Söder

Edited by soder
added pic
On 5/1/2021 at 1:58 PM, soder said:

Check my post above, where I find out how to downgrade. It's just to change "latest" to a specific version you want, and press Apply. Then the docker is rebuilt.

I've read that the newer version 1.23 should have fixed this problem with 4K HDR hw to SDR issue, but the docker is still not updated to 1.23.

image.png

/Söder

Hi there,

From Plex forum, this issue seems to be taken in account since a week and a few plexpass releases:

"(Transcoder) GPU HDR tone mapping could unexpectedly fail on some newer Intel processors (#12534)"

https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-media-server/30447/423

Now just need to update to the last plexpass release by updating your docker container using plexpass as the version option like in the following screenshot:

916436618_Sanstitre2.thumb.jpg.0fffa8552a095df07ad7a6db87408f70.jpg

Or you can wait a bit longer the ubdate to be available in the non beta channel.

At least it's working for my Intel i5-9600k, using Unraid 6.9.2.

Hope this helps.

Oh, i didn't know there was a Plex pass version. I was hammering F5 on the docker site under "tags" and couldn't find any 1.23-version. That's why I thought this docker wasn't updated.

Thanks.

EDIT: It works for me now. 4K HEVC HDR to 1080p SDR HW. i3 10100 cpu image.png.0e5522b5ba4036214d91200590b0b292.png

/Söder

Edited by soder
  • 2 weeks later...

Its worth noting that with plexinc/pms-docker:plexpass, I read on the plex forums that this image builds itself when the container is launched. So it will track with latest upon first launch of the container.

If I find the source for this, I will edit this post.

6 hours ago, semtex41 said:

Its worth noting that with plexinc/pms-docker:plexpass, I read on the plex forums that this image builds itself when the container is launched. So it will track with latest upon first launch of the container.

I'd really appreciate a link, thanks.  I'd like to know because I am not sure I understand.  When the container launches it does so quickly so I don't think it's downloading any updated version or anything.  For me, with the official PLEX docker it was the only repository that actually allows me to get the PLEXPass version properly.  I now have been suspecting this may be why I wasn't having issues when others were.

Kind regards,

craigr

On 5/14/2021 at 3:21 PM, semtex41 said:

Ok this is not the exact link I was wanting to find from ChuckPa, but this is a recent comment from him:

ChuckPa:
Both versions have the same features. There is no “Plex Pass FEATURES” build.

When you add the plexpass tag, you download from the PlexPass Beta channel.
When you add latest (or leave blank), you download the Public version.

Plex Pass features are attached to your account not the code.

^ https://forums.plex.tv/t/where-to-obtain-pms-build-4479/715338/6

Ah, I think I found the same info on the dockerhub readme:

#Tags
In addition to the standard version and latest tags, two other tags exist: plexpass and public. These two images behave differently than your typical containers. These two images do not have any Plex Media Server binary installed. Instead, when these containers are run, they will perform an update check and fetch the latest version, install it, and then continue execution. They also run the update check whenever the container is restarted...

^ https://hub.docker.com/r/plexinc/pms-docker#Tags

As I understand that, the containers that launch with from the plexpass, public (and I speculate the :Beta tag also) will fetch/download the most current server binary in their channel and will update. Basically those tags are self patching compared to the static tagged images, to included the ":latest" tag, which are locked into a specific stable version.

• Thanks 1
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/13/2019 at 10:16 AM, lotetreemedia said:

Granted this has been covered in a few other posts but I just wanted to have it with a little bit of layout and structure.

Special thanks to [mention=9167]Hoopster[/mention] whose post(s) I took this from.

Press Ctrl X, followed by Y to save your go file. And you should be golden!

I know that your post is more than a year old, but I can't thank you enough. I've used Plex a long time, but I'm new to Unraid and I barely know anything related to Linux. Your post is so clear and easy to follow that I got this done and working on the first try. My CPU was running at about 40% load on a transcode and now it's at about 3%. Excellent!

• Like 1