***GUIDE*** Plex Hardware Acceleration using Intel Quick Sync

On 4/13/2021 at 9:30 AM, soder said:

But, how do I do that in Unraid with Plex in docker? Is there an easy way?

Edit: I'm using this docker (are there any differences on the dockers, anyone I should use instead?). https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex/ and when when changing from "latest" to "1.22.0.4163" in VERSION on the "edit docker page" in Unraid and press Apply, I'm still on Version 1.22.2.4282 in app.plex.tv when I'm checking from a browser.

Edit2: Is it version-1.22.0.4163-d8c4875dd I shall write instead? Or do I need to specify more?

Edit3: 1.22.0.4163-d8c4875dd was the exact line. Now I'm down do the working version.

When Plex has fixed the problem, what is the best version to be on then? docker, latest or public?

/Söder

You're an absolute legend. Thanks!

Hello All,

I hope since this thread was recently topped you will not mind if I add a question of my own. I am a new convert to unRAID/docker with its main function being a plex server. Server has a i5-11600K (no PCIe graphics card), I am using unRAID 6.10.0-rc1, and I am using the binhex version of plex running PMS 1.24.0.4930. I know from reading this and other threads on the unRAID and plex forums that I am playing with fire by using Rocket Lake, an rc unRAID version, and the latest version of plex. My thought was that things are moving very quickly and maybe I'd get lucky and the HW transcoding would be fixed in the newest versions.

And to some degree, I think some parts were easier. I didn't have to do anything to have the integrated GPU drivers to install (thats now part of 6.10.0) and I only had to add /dev/dri as a device in my binhex-plex docker container for it to be passed properly to the container (see uploaded screenshot for unraid terminal window commands /dev/dr ls -ltr and docker exec -it binhex-plex ls -lh /dev/dri).

But hardware decoding is not working for me, and not just on 4K HDR transcodes but also 1080 h.264 files. As so much of the info out there is now a few months old or for other hardware my question is: Is the general consensus that this is something I can possibly fix right now (by switching repositories to linuxserver.io or other, or editing the right files/running the right script, or using the right version of PMS), or is it that I need to sit tight for plex to support Rocket Lake processors properly? 

Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 10.30.56 AM.png

On 8/18/2021 at 10:52 AM, David Stein said:

Hello All,

I hope since this thread was recently topped you will not mind if I add a question of my own. I am a new convert to unRAID/docker with its main function being a plex server. Server has a i5-11600K (no PCIe graphics card), I am using unRAID 6.10.0-rc1, and I am using the binhex version of plex running PMS 1.24.0.4930. I know from reading this and other threads on the unRAID and plex forums that I am playing with fire by using Rocket Lake, an rc unRAID version, and the latest version of plex. My thought was that things are moving very quickly and maybe I'd get lucky and the HW transcoding would be fixed in the newest versions.

And to some degree, I think some parts were easier. I didn't have to do anything to have the integrated GPU drivers to install (thats now part of 6.10.0) and I only had to add /dev/dri as a device in my binhex-plex docker container for it to be passed properly to the container (see uploaded screenshot for unraid terminal window commands /dev/dr ls -ltr and docker exec -it binhex-plex ls -lh /dev/dri).

But hardware decoding is not working for me, and not just on 4K HDR transcodes but also 1080 h.264 files. As so much of the info out there is now a few months old or for other hardware my question is: Is the general consensus that this is something I can possibly fix right now (by switching repositories to linuxserver.io or other, or editing the right files/running the right script, or using the right version of PMS), or is it that I need to sit tight for plex to support Rocket Lake processors properly? 

Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 10.30.56 AM.png

having the exact same issue on 11th gen intel. any help would be appreciated.

edit: i did install intel gpu top, and unfortunately that did not work either

Edited by Syed

Hi all, I'm an Unraid/Plex newbie and just set up my first server for Quicksync transcoding with an 11400. I have followed the tutorial in this thread to enable hardware transcoding and it appears to be working as the dashboard shows (hw) during transcoding.

2.PNG.b888e5585113c455a182302a38c06f7f.PNG

However I am unable to get 4K movies to transcode without introducing artifacts:

1.thumb.png.29bbe7b2a363a24e2c909b9e4219d6a4.png

Transcoding from 1080p files works fine. From reading through this thread it appears this may be some sort of issue on Plex's end? I am running Unraid 6.9.2 and the linuxserver version of plex however I am not sure how to determine the current version. Is what I am experiencing a familiar issue or something possibly wrong with my setup? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi all,

I've been having an issue with GPU hangs in plex. I usually use an I5-8600K, but I swapped with an I7-9700K too see if the CPU was the issue too.

Usually, I have Plex running for about a day with multiple people transcoding and I eventually get a GPU hang in the Syslog. In 6.8.3, I see the following error:

Aug 11 01:22:24 JONAD kernel: [drm] GPU HANG: ecode 9:0:0x8fcffff9, in Plex Transcoder [13784], reason: hang on rcs0, action: reset

Aug 11 01:22:24 JONAD kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: Resetting rcs0 for hang on rcs0

Aug 11 01:22:24 JONAD kernel: [drm:gen8_reset_engines [i915]] *ERROR* rcs0: reset request timeout

Aug 11 01:22:24 JONAD kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: Resetting chip for hang on rcs0

Aug 11 01:22:24 JONAD kernel: [drm:gen8_reset_engines [i915]] *ERROR* rcs0: reset request timeout

Aug 11 01:22:24 JONAD kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: Failed to reset chip

After this, Plex falls back to software transcoding until Unraid is rebooted.

In 6.9.2 , a GPU hang also occurs, but the chip manages to reset. This results in streams that endlessly buffer until they are manually refreshed, but stay on HW transcoding. In that case, the error resembles below:

resetting rsc0 for cs error

HW transcoding was working flawlessly for most of 2020, and at one point I added a video card for a Windows VM and messed with IOMMU groups to pass it through. I want to say I started to see problems after that, but I'm not sure. My fallback solution is to just use this Nvidia card for plex transcoding, but I rather liked using QuickSync for this purpose. Does anyone know of problems with i915 in the latest plex versions? I have tried both linuxserver and binhex repo's.

Thanks for your help!

On 8/24/2021 at 11:58 AM, Syed said:

ended up reverting back to the latest stable of unraid, installing intel gpu top and now transcoding works fine with igpu for intel 11th gen

To confirm, you aren't experiencing any artifacts or crashes while hardware transcoding 4K HDR content? According to this plex forum thread, both Tiger Lake and Rocket Lake CPUs have confirmed issues ongoing. Which version of unraid and plex docker are you using? Could you elaborate on what you have done exactly to get it working?

2 hours ago, Ocman76 said:

To confirm, you aren't experiencing any artifacts or crashes while hardware transcoding 4K HDR content? According to this plex forum thread, both Tiger Lake and Rocket Lake CPUs have confirmed issues ongoing. Which version of unraid and plex docker are you using? Could you elaborate on what you have done exactly to get it working?

Most likely he doesn't have 4k HDR videos 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...