VNC not working after changes to the Linux VM

sit_rp

I lost access to my Linux VM after I installed tighvnc and messed around with xstartup config file. I don't have telnet or SSH enabled.

I was able to mount vdisk image of that Linux server on a different VM with write permissions. I think I fixed xstartup file, but VNC is still not working.

The exact behavior here is me getting to the login screen and when I enter my credentials it kicks me back to the login screen without an error message. 

I hope something can be done here, because I don't have a backup of this VM, but at least I was able to access encrypted partition so I won't lose data. 

I'm confused, and I don't know if the confusion is contagious or not.

The default VNC access to any VM hosted on unraid is part of the virtual machine engine that unraid uses, and not effected by anything you do in the guest. It sounds to me like you are trying to connect to a VNC server installed inside the guest OS.

What happens when you connect to the host VNC accessed by clicking on the running VM's icon and selecting VNC Remote?

10 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

I'm confused, and I don't know if the confusion is contagious or not.

The default VNC access to any VM hosted on unraid is part of the virtual machine engine that unraid uses, and not effected by anything you do in the guest. It sounds to me like you are trying to connect to a VNC server installed inside the guest OS.

What happens when you connect to the host VNC accessed by clicking on the running VM's icon and selecting VNC Remote?

The same thing happens whether I try to connect through Unraid GUI or different VNC client. It gets me to the login page and when I punch in the password, redirects me back to login prompt without any error. All other VMs are working properly. I tried removing VNC Config from xml file of the VM, and adding it back, but that didn’t make a difference. UnfortunateIy can’t boot with the GPU because when I pass one through to this Linux Server, nothing is displayed on the screen, so I guess drivers are missing.

59 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

That's not a VNC issue, it's the VM itself.

To recover you need to use the same options as you would with a bare metal 16.04 install. Nothing to do with unraid's VNC server.

Yeah that's what I was afraid off. Since I can't hook up a monitor directly to it, I wasn't sure, but most likely same issue not being able to log in all the way. Thank you for your help.