(SOLVED) Is it possible to pass through an AMD GPU?...

Jaster

Hey Guys,

I'm using an NVidia as a primary which I can pass through and use.

Now I added an RX580 and can't get it to run boot. As soon as I install a driver in the VM, the VM won't come up again.

I tried using a rom from techpowerup, but it didn't change anything. Any help is appriciated...

Thanks.

Edited by Jaster
4 minutes ago, bastl said:

I can't find a post, but there are newer versions of the AMD driver causing that issue. Try to install an older version.

Sounds reasonable, as the default driver seems to run (kind of).

Do you have any clue regarding 'older'? Like a month... or a year? ;) 

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, bastl said:

@SpecFroce One or two users have reported switching the machine type to Q35, they are able to use newer drivers. Maybe worth a try setting up a new VM to test.

I tried Q35 and it seems to have a positive effect, but the driver install process leaves a lot to be desired. Unpack the driver and install via device manager in safemode. That goes for the graphics and the audio driver.

I´m still struggling with exposing my mouse from a RDP desktop to the RDP-session and Steam game streaming hangs on initial install. All of these errors are at least better than not being able to install the drivers at all!

I think when i get Cat 6a in the walls, i might have more luck since i then can separate my host and VM traffic to different NICs. All in all, lots more is working but this is a PITA. I have about 30-40 FPS ingame in Rust atm and no crackling audio.

Edited by SpecFroce

After some testing it seems that the AMD drivers hate folder redirection. Now with that out of the way I’m still losing hair and sleep over how can I reliably access my Remote Desktop for game streaming with a AMD GPU on a Mac. Any suggestions that offer graphics acceleration?