Server hardware detection in VM?

Maybe a weird question but does anyone know if I set up say a Windows 10 VM on my server, will programs be able to detect what CPU is installed on my server? I'm asking specifically in regards to AMD Rewards program as i need to install and run a verification tool in order to claim a game code for my Ryzen 7 2700 purchase. Setting up a VM would require that i take my server down (like down out of the closet and to my work area in the garage), turn on HVM, and then put it back up, and if already knows if it won't work anyways I don't think I'll bother.

Edited by baconborn

This is probably the best you can do, it will passthrough most of the CPU info to the VM...  Just add info to the VM XML file...

<cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none'>
</cpu>

It may be possible to pass in other strings associated with the correct CPU, but knowing what they are looking for would probably be needed for that...

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, presence06 said:

I have this same thing... Purchased a 2400G and setup a Windows 10 VM.. I can see the Ryzen CPU in Computer Management..I download the AMD Tool it tries to start then closes. It never runs completely though.. 

If the "AMD Tool" you mention tries to talk to the CPU controllers directly and such, all that will fail...  The only thing that 'host-passthrough' does is passthrough the CPU strings to the VM...  You can open CPU-z in VM and then look at a bare-metal example to see what doesn't get passed through...  It is possible to change or add some of this stuff manually (You need to do that sort of thing when creating a MacOS VM), but mostly the ones that don't get added are skipped for a reason, they tend to affect the way that kernels and other programs interact with the CPU...

Bottom line, unless you know exactly what the program is looking for, and that you can add it to the VM, it would probably be best to run bare-metal just for that...

Edited by Warrentheo
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
On 2/16/2019 at 5:58 PM, presence06 said:

I have this same thing... Purchased a 2400G and setup a Windows 10 VM.. I can see the Ryzen CPU in Computer Management..I download the AMD Tool it tries to start then closes. It never runs completely though.. 

presence06, did you ever find a workaround for this?  I'm going through this problem right now with my Ryzen 2700x trying to redeem a code in my VM.  The AMD app immediately closes each time I open it.  

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2020 at 9:21 PM, pzycho said:

presence06, did you ever find a workaround for this?  I'm going through this problem right now with my Ryzen 2700x trying to redeem a code in my VM.  The AMD app immediately closes each time I open it.  

I contacted AMD and finally was able to get it redeemed.. after explaining 3 times that I couldn't, the app didn't load and it was on a VM. Keep pushing them to redeem it.

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to give another option as I just did it.

Option #1:

From a Linux machine, go to their tool site:  amdrewards.com/pvt.  Download and you should be prompted to save pvt.sh.

Throw it into a directory in UnRaid, open a shell, chmod 777 pvt.sh, then sh pvt.sh.  Follow the instructions.

Option #2:  (What I did.)

From a Windows machine, install a user agent addon to change the browser's user agent to a Linux signature.  When you click the download button, you'll be prompted to save the pvt.sh file.

Throw it into a directory in UnRaid, open a shell, chmod 777 pvt.sh, then sh pvt.sh.  Follow the instructions.

I believe the pvt.sh file is built on the fly when you download it as I didn't have to sign into the tool.  So I'm sure the installer can't be past around to just any Tom, Dick, or Harry.

At that point you can log into https://www.amdrewards.com/my-rewards.   You should be able to complete your reward at this point.

pvt.png

• Thanks 2