Jump to content
Rommel

NVME SSD Trim Error

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Hi, hope somebody can help me with this odd problem:

 

Recently my Unraid server starts to send me email notifications related to an error during triming: "fstrim: /etc/libvirt: FITRIM ioctl failed: Input/output error" and also "fstrim: /var/lib/docker: FITRIM ioctl failed: Input/output error".

 

It is happening since installation of UnRaid 6.7 RC3, I never had this issue with 6.6. I'm using as cache drive an WD Black 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe (WDS256G1X0C).

 

I know I should restore 6.6 but it is not an option because since some plugins updates (maybe because of 6.7) my 6.6 system behaves odd, and some plugins like Stats or Unassigned Devices just disappear after update.

 

I'm thinking on replace the SSD with an EVO 970, but even though money is not a problem I think that using such a nice SSD as a cache drive just not worth it. Maybe WDS256G1X0C is not supported in 6.7 but that is weird since it worked just fine in 6.6.

 

I really appreciate your comment.

Share this post


Link to post

If it's a first gen WD black they use a Marvell controller (in doubt post the diagnostics), there are known issues with v6.7 and Marvell controllers (besides the previous Marvell problems), it should be fixed eventually.

Share this post


Link to post

Im now having the exact same problem with Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, NGMK said:

Im now having the exact same problem with Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

We'd need the diags to confirm but likely it's connected to a controller without trim support, like most older LSI HBAs.

Share this post


Link to post

Let's take a look   Thanks 

2 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

 We'd need the diags to confirm but likely it's connected to a controller without trim support, like most older LSI HBAs.

Systemp Spec:

Option B 4U Supermicro Server 36x 3.5"
Drive bay Server
CSE-847E16-R1K28LPB Supermicro 4U Case
X9DRH-IF Motherboard
2x E5-2697 V2 2.7Ghz 12 Core 17274
Passmark per CPU
64GB RAM (8x 8GB DDR3)
LSI 9300-8i HBA controller set to
ITMODE for FREENAS
xeon-syslog-12345.zip

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, NGMK said:

Let's take a look   Thanks 

Syslog is just spammed with the same error over and over, reboot and post the diagnostics: Tools -> Diagnostics

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry for asking this but, what is "LSI" and how can I access and modify it?

 

My problem was solved by replacing my old WD Black 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe (WDS256G1X0C) with a NVMe WD Black SN750 but, I'm curious on how to fix this problem.

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Rommel said:

Sorry for asking this but, what is "LSI" and how can I access and modify it?

These posts are for NGMK, who probably should have started his own thread, since his problem is unrelated to yours.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks I will research How to flash the LSI card to IT and report back. According to Mr Rackable this LSI card should have came flash for IT Mode. 

 

Sorry for not starting my own post I was under the impression that the problem and the cause were very similar.        I will report back    Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, NGMK said:

Thanks I will research How to flash the LSI card to IT and report back. According to Mr Rackable this LSI card should have came flash for IT Mode.  

Note that Unraid will complain that the disks are wrong after flashing since they will now appear with model/serial, you'll need to do a new config and re-assign them, thoug easier in this case since you don't have parity yet.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

 Note that Unraid will complain that the disks are wrong after flashing since they will now appear with model/serial, you'll need to do a new config and re-assign them, thoug easier in this case since you don't have parity yet.

I think the Serial numbers are showing at the moment regardless 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, NGMK said:

I think the Serial numbers are showing at the moment regardless 

Yes, they are, but the identification will still be different and require a new config.

Share this post


Link to post

which firmware version should I use for the current version of UNRAID for this controller lsi SAS9311-8i ? Thanks 

On 5/24/2019 at 2:42 AM, johnnie.black said:

Yes, they are, but the identification will still be different and require a new config.

 

Share this post


Link to post

9311 is a RAID controller, not sure if it can be flashed to IT mode, if it can latest versions is p16.00.01.00

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.