NVME SSD Trim Error

Rommel

Hi, hope somebody can help me with this odd problem:

Recently my Unraid server starts to send me email notifications related to an error during triming: "fstrim: /etc/libvirt: FITRIM ioctl failed: Input/output error" and also "fstrim: /var/lib/docker: FITRIM ioctl failed: Input/output error".

It is happening since installation of UnRaid 6.7 RC3, I never had this issue with 6.6. I'm using as cache drive an WD Black 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe (WDS256G1X0C).

I know I should restore 6.6 but it is not an option because since some plugins updates (maybe because of 6.7) my 6.6 system behaves odd, and some plugins like Stats or Unassigned Devices just disappear after update.

I'm thinking on replace the SSD with an EVO 970, but even though money is not a problem I think that using such a nice SSD as a cache drive just not worth it. Maybe WDS256G1X0C is not supported in 6.7 but that is weird since it worked just fine in 6.6.

I really appreciate your comment.

• 3 months later...

Let's take a look   Thanks 

2 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

We'd need the diags to confirm but likely it's connected to a controller without trim support, like most older LSI HBAs.

Systemp Spec:

Option B 4U Supermicro Server 36x 3.5"
Drive bay Server
CSE-847E16-R1K28LPB Supermicro 4U Case
X9DRH-IF Motherboard
2x E5-2697 V2 2.7Ghz 12 Core 17274
Passmark per CPU
64GB RAM (8x 8GB DDR3)
LSI 9300-8i HBA controller set to
ITMODE for FREENAS
xeon-syslog-12345.zip

Sorry for asking this but, what is "LSI" and how can I access and modify it?

My problem was solved by replacing my old WD Black 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe (WDS256G1X0C) with a NVMe WD Black SN750 but, I'm curious on how to fix this problem.

Thanks.

Thanks I will research How to flash the LSI card to IT and report back. According to Mr Rackable this LSI card should have came flash for IT Mode. 

Sorry for not starting my own post I was under the impression that the problem and the cause were very similar.        I will report back    Thanks 

7 minutes ago, NGMK said:

Thanks I will research How to flash the LSI card to IT and report back. According to Mr Rackable this LSI card should have came flash for IT Mode.  

Note that Unraid will complain that the disks are wrong after flashing since they will now appear with model/serial, you'll need to do a new config and re-assign them, thoug easier in this case since you don't have parity yet.

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

Note that Unraid will complain that the disks are wrong after flashing since they will now appear with model/serial, you'll need to do a new config and re-assign them, thoug easier in this case since you don't have parity yet.

I think the Serial numbers are showing at the moment regardless 

• 2 weeks later...

which firmware version should I use for the current version of UNRAID for this controller lsi SAS9311-8i ? Thanks 

On 5/24/2019 at 2:42 AM, johnnie.black said:

Yes, they are, but the identification will still be different and require a new config.