Parity stuck at 3.0Gbps - Rebuild 2tb to 4tb replacement is super slow

DieFalse

I recently updated to the current RC 6.7.0-rc3 and noticed during tonight's rebuild (upgraded a 2tb to 4tb) it is running at half the speed of normal, and even slower at times.  (Right now at 17.3MB/s ouch).   So I checked all drives and the parity is somehow stuck at 3.0gbps.

root@NAS:~# smartctl -x /dev/sdl | grep SATA
SATA Version is:  SATA 3.1, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)
0x11       GPL     R/O      1  SATA Phy Event Counters log
SATA Phy Event Counters (GP Log 0x11)

Enabled features:

*    Gen1 signaling speed (1.5Gb/s)
       *    Gen2 signaling speed (3.0Gb/s)
       *    Gen3 signaling speed (6.0Gb/s)

Any ideas on this one?  All cables are secure and with the last release before upgrading to 6.7.0-rc3 it was running at 6Gb/s.

Edited by fmp4m

Three other things to note: 

I did replace the Drive 14 from 2tb to 4tb and it is rebuilding that drive right now, not a parity check.  My mis-wording.  Only other change was the RC update.

Second,  diags attached incase you would like them.

nas-diagnostics-20190214-2335.zip

Third,  last parity info:

Date                                Duration                        Speed            Status    Errors

2019-02-12, 05:33:52     11 hr, 19 min, 13 sec       196.3 MB/s    OK          0

2019-02-11,  03:20:25     12 hr, 37 min, 48 sec     176.0 MB/s    OK          0

Edited by fmp4m
2 hours ago, fmp4m said:

and the parity is somehow stuck at 3.0gbps.

Likely cable/connection related, and that's not the problem, since SATA2 can still do around 275MB/s.

There's something reading from disks 2 and 12 during the rebuild, this will cause a noticeable slowdown.

P.S: unrelated, disk14 has filesystem corruption, you'll need to run xfs_repair when the rebuild finishes.

Thanks Johnnie

Its currently running at 6.5MB/s and has 4 days left.  It's never been this slow. All drives are hot swap and I checked the backplane connections. (yay rails).  and everything is tight.

Thanks for the catch on Disk14 (thats the new 4tb I just put in,  wouldn't the rebuild be fixing the corruption?).

9 minutes ago, fmp4m said:

Its currently running at 6.5MB/s and has 4 days left.

That's very slow, but the only thing I can say for sure is that it's not because one is linking at SATA2 speeds, it might be a disk with slow sectors.

10 minutes ago, fmp4m said:

(thats the new 4tb I just put in,  wouldn't the rebuild be fixing the corruption?).

No, parity can't help with filesystem corruption.

Ok,  so it kept getting slower and slower.  So I decided to pull Drive14.   I put another 4tb in its place and now I am getting 2.0GB/s rebuild speed.  Since Drive14 was the 2tb to 4tb change and it was unlikely the RC update that caused it,  I chose to try this and I am glad I did.   When rebuild finishes I will post another diagnostic to see if data is still corrupted. 

Johnnie,  What did you see that told you there was corruption and what can I do to find this / test for this and repair it in the future?

7 minutes ago, fmp4m said:

2.0GB/s

That seems too fast :)

7 minutes ago, fmp4m said:

What did you see that told you there was corruption and what can I do to find this / test for this and repair it in the future?

Feb 14 23:29:31 NAS kernel: XFS (md14): Metadata CRC error detected at xfs_dir3_data_read_verify+0x80/0xc9 [xfs], xfs_dir3_data block 0xaea866c0
Feb 14 23:29:31 NAS kernel: XFS (md14): Unmount and run xfs_repair
Feb 14 23:29:31 NAS kernel: XFS (md14): First 128 bytes of corrupted metadata buffer:

md14 is disk14

17 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

That seems too fast :)

This makes me think I miss-spoke.  The original 17.3MB/s was the OVERALL data transfer rate for all 16 disks in the rebuild (which was painfully slow).

The 2.0GB/s is the same,  Overall.   Avg' 117.0+MB/s each disk. 

So it's right where it should be again.  Thanks again and I will check when parity finishes in a couple hours for corruption.