[REQUEST] Firefly III

dj_sim

It appears this application may need two different docker containers, a DB app and of course Firefly itself.  Unraid doesn't have a way to do that currently, you'll need something like docker-compose if you want to use a single template.

With Unraid you'll need two separate templates, and you need to be careful that the firefly template properly references the mariadb container.

1 hour ago, CHBMB said:

I've not tried it, but it looks like it will work.

https://docs.firefly-iii.org/en/latest/installation/docker.html#straight-from-docker-hub

Nothing there that can't be done on Unraid

The OP is asking for a "community app" which I assume he meant a single template to get the DB container and Firefly container up and running, since his attempt at manually adding it didn't work. That link does provide a way of running it manually via CLI, though it will be harder to manage it in Unraid such as it will always show as "update ready" in the docker tab.  To avoid that issue you can use Unraid's webUI, and that will create two separate templates as I mentioned earlier.

Your link does provide some information about using docker compose:

“Docker compose” is a tool that can automatically set up and link several docker containers using just one command and a YAML configuration file. This is easier than building the containers manually."

Anything can be done in Unraid as you proved with the Nvidia plugin.

@dj_sim if you go the Unraid webUI's route just be careful about referencing the DB app in the firefly template as I mentioned earlier or the Firefly won't find the database.

Good morning

Thanks for the responses,

I managed to get it working.. The FF_DB_HOST must be IPADDRESS:PORT

I was asking for someone to make a community app so that it's easier for people to use this program.  It takes some time to go through and add the variables.

Thanks

Good morning

Thanks for the responses,

I managed to get it working.. The FF_DB_HOST must be IPADDRESS:PORT

I was asking for someone to make a community app so that it's easier for people to use this program.  It takes some time to go through and add the variables.

Thanks
Problem is, once someone makes a template and publishes it, they then become responsible for supporting it, nothing stopping you doing so after you've done your template though, which I'm sure others would be grateful for.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

True, I'm considering a multi staged build for it from the official to a single image. Just have to figure it out, how to do it update wise. The latest version changed some things in the decryption command, what could break the database. I need to figure out how to prevent this. The official images have some issues as well.

It requires two different containers which in Unraid would be two different templates??  You'd also have to provide a guide with it explaining how to link one container to the other, etc.  Docker compose is the only way I can find to use one template to get both containers working and talking to each other with that one template.

If someone knows something otherwise please educate us I'd love to have a way of doing that.

Edited by dee31797

So there is a kind of belief held by some people on the LT forums that dedicated containers are required for Unraid.  This is not the case.

To outline our container development process may help clarify this.

We put the docker container source code on Github.  The container is pushed to Dockerhub.  That's it for most people, and they use Portainer or Compose or just plain Docker cmd line to manage their containers.

Unraid has a layer of abstraction between the command line and those containers on Dockerhub.  The ONLY difference is we produce an XML template to make adding container to Unraid easier for the end user.  It's not "coding" or "developing" it's a simple XML template.

If you add a container manually via the Unraid webui, then the resulting template will be saved on your flash drive

/config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user/my-$containername.xml

Publishing this is what the OP is asking for.

It isn't possible to write one template for multiple containers like you can in compose and I would very much caution against trying to bundle a database in with a firefly container, it's not the "docker way" and it adds another layer of complexity to solve what is a trivial problem.  

Also, you can use one database container for multiple containers.  So my mariadb container has several databases for several different containers.

I will attempt to post this to github

In the meantime I'd like to get the nginx config working, but I am very lost.

There is no template on the linuxserver letsencrypt docker for the subdomain.conf file and I cannot find one in google.

Can someone help with this please?

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2019 at 9:51 AM, dj_sim said:

There is no template on the linuxserver letsencrypt docker for the subdomain.conf file and I cannot find one in google.

Try this: http://annibyniaeth.com/2019/03/29/firefly-iii-on-unraid-letsencrypt/ 

Resurrected the blog for you ;)

For those that just want a config file, it is below:

server {
    listen 443 ssl;

include /config/nginx/ssl.conf;
    client_max_body_size 0;

server_name subdomain.doman.tld;

location / {

add_header X-Forwarded-Proto "https";
        proxy_set_header Host $host;
        proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme;
        proxy_pass http://[SERVERIP]:[PORT FOR FIREFLY];

}
}

Nginx configs are not my thing, so do let me know if I've got something egregiously wrong!

Edited by cut_chemist
  • 6 months later...
On 2/21/2019 at 4:51 AM, dj_sim said:

Did you get this docker working at all as I just tried and it doesnt seem to work correctly.  I installed a postgres11 container and it doesnt appear that was the issue.  Something to do with FIREFLY_PATH that it automatically fills in or something.

If anyone has had success installing this app via the template provided in the community app please let me know what I may have misconfigured.

On 10/21/2019 at 11:42 PM, Repooc said:

Did you get this docker working at all as I just tried and it doesnt seem to work correctly.  I installed a postgres11 container and it doesnt appear that was the issue.  Something to do with FIREFLY_PATH that it automatically fills in or something.

If anyone has had success installing this app via the template provided in the community app please let me know what I may have misconfigured.

An upgrade from a couple months back broke my docker config, the variable names changed.  I got it back up but I had to mess around a bit. 

If you are trying a new install I can copy my docker config here tonight.

On 10/22/2019 at 4:42 AM, Repooc said:

I believe FireFly III docker is already available on Unraid Community Apps. I got it to work without any special skill required.

14 hours ago, Gog said:

An upgrade from a couple months back broke my docker config, the variable names changed.  I got it back up but I had to mess around a bit. 

If you are trying a new install I can copy my docker config here tonight.

Be nice for some setup assistance.  I am usually good about getting this stuff going but not sure what I am missing as setup directions seem to be a bit lacking or I'm just overlooking stuff.

14 hours ago, testdasi said:

I believe FireFly III docker is already available on Unraid Community Apps. I got it to work without any special skill required.

Yes there is an unraid template but unless you have some insight on what I am missing or updated instructions, this comment isn't very helpful as this isn't a very helpful post unless you are offering help but I didn't get that feeling from your post.

Edited by Repooc
6 hours ago, Repooc said:

Yes there is an unraid template but unless you have some insight on what I am missing or updated instructions, this comment isn't very helpful as this isn't a very helpful post unless you are offering help but I didn't get that feeling from your post.

Hey easy with the attitude buddy! I thought you were trying to adapt another docker to work with Unraid so just wanted to let you know that it is already on CA.

Now assuming you are using the CA docker (and not from somewhere else), all you need to do is:

1. Mariadb docker for a sql db
  2. phpmyadmin docker to create the Firefly db and user
  3. Enter the information you set up from (1) and (2) into the docker template

That's it. No special skill required.

Host path 1: 	/mnt/cache/cache_only/appdata/fireflyb/export/
Container Path: /var/www/firefly-iii/storage/export 
Host Path 2: 	/mnt/cache/cache_only/appdata/fireflyb/upload/
Container Path: /var/www/firefly-iii/storage/upload 
Host Port 1: 	 5080
Container Port: 80
Host Key 1: 	 /mnt/cache/cache_only/appdata/fireflyb/
Container Variable: FIREFLY_PATH
Host Key 2: 	 7.60.0
Container Variable: CURL_VERSION
Host Key 3: 	 1.1.1pre6
Container Variable: OPENSSL_VERSION
Host Key 4: 	 XXX
Container Variable: APP_KEY - CHANGE! Random value of exactly 32 characters. Used to encrypt the database. Cannot be changed later on. Make sure you dont lose the key!
Host Key 5: 	 local
Container Variable: APP_ENV
Host Key 6: 	 192.168.1.12
Container Variable: DB_HOST
Host Key 7: 	 3306
Container Variable: DB_PORT - Database_PORT: 3306
Host Key 8: 	 fireflydb
Container Variable: DB_DATABASE
Host Key 9: 	 firefly
Container Variable: DB_USERNAME
Host Key 10: 	 XXX
Container Variable: DB_PASSWORD - Password for the DB_USERNAME

in case you still need it

10 hours ago, Repooc said:

Be nice for some setup assistance.  I am usually good about getting this stuff going but not sure what I am missing as setup directions seem to be a bit lacking or I'm just overlooking stuff.

BTW, in my config I'm using fireflyb but that's just because  I had to reinstall from scratch.  I was able to reuse my old DB without problem

7 hours ago, testdasi said:

Hey easy with the attitude buddy! I thought you were trying to adapt another docker to work with Unraid so just wanted to let you know that it is already on CA.

Now assuming you are using the CA docker (and not from somewhere else), all you need to do is:

1. Mariadb docker for a sql db
  2. phpmyadmin docker to create the Firefly db and user
  3. Enter the information you set up from (1) and (2) into the docker template

That's it. No special skill required.

I was actually not trying to have an attitude as I felt I was receiving an attitude with your previous response actually lol.  So I guess I took the comment like you were being condescending and was trying to politely say I don't need that type of reply if that was the case.  I will look at the posts here since my reply and see if I can get it up and running and will report back after and let you know I got it going or not.  Thanks for responding and trying to assist.

3 hours ago, Gog said:

Host path 1: 	/mnt/cache/cache_only/appdata/fireflyb/export/
Container Path: /var/www/firefly-iii/storage/export 
Host Path 2: 	/mnt/cache/cache_only/appdata/fireflyb/upload/
Container Path: /var/www/firefly-iii/storage/upload 
Host Port 1: 	 5080
Container Port: 80
Host Key 1: 	 /mnt/cache/cache_only/appdata/fireflyb/
Container Variable: FIREFLY_PATH
Host Key 2: 	 7.60.0
Container Variable: CURL_VERSION
Host Key 3: 	 1.1.1pre6
Container Variable: OPENSSL_VERSION
Host Key 4: 	 XXX
Container Variable: APP_KEY - CHANGE! Random value of exactly 32 characters. Used to encrypt the database. Cannot be changed later on. Make sure you dont lose the key!
Host Key 5: 	 local
Container Variable: APP_ENV
Host Key 6: 	 192.168.1.12
Container Variable: DB_HOST
Host Key 7: 	 3306
Container Variable: DB_PORT - Database_PORT: 3306
Host Key 8: 	 fireflydb
Container Variable: DB_DATABASE
Host Key 9: 	 firefly
Container Variable: DB_USERNAME
Host Key 10: 	 XXX
Container Variable: DB_PASSWORD - Password for the DB_USERNAME

in case you still need it

I appreciate the info and will report back when I get time to see if I got it up and running tyvm for trying to assist.