Help with R510 setup

andymiller

Morning.

I've seen various videos from Linus and other you tubers on using unraid so decided to give it a go.

I have a 12bay dell r510 which I have removed the h700 and dropped in an LSI HBA.

I have checked a disk in all slots and it reads them fine, so last night I dropped in a 500g disk into a random front bay and 2x 250gb Kington SSD's into the internal bays along with a 10gb Mellanox card.

So I knew from straight off I would be limited to the ready/write speeds of the single 500gb disk which topped out around 120-125mb but when I enabled cache on the share in either raid 1 or raid 0 performance of a copy to the server dropped to around 25-50mb.

I was under the impression adding cache sped up the copy process and then moved the data on schedule.

SO why copying 50gb of large MKV files is performance so poor??

tower-diagnostics-20190215-1244.zip

Not sure about your speed issues.    However you should be aware that using SSDs in the main array is not officially supported if you also want parity. This is because the SSDs can interfere with keeping parity valid depending on how Trim is supported on your system with the SSDs models in question.

Archived