[Support] binhex - PrivoxyVPN

26 minutes ago, Zxurian said:

Thanks for the quick reply! no change unfortunately. Those were the same DNS that were defaulted on the binhex-privoxyvpn container.

In that vein, I also tried just setting NAME_SERVERS on container options to 1.1.1.1,1.0.0.1 to isolate, still couldn't resolve anything. I did test the six provided name servers you listed against my normal machine, and they all gave answers.

ok in that case:- https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/help.md

49 minutes ago, binhex said:

much obliged for the help. Using that link I tailed the log myself for a bit and found it was AUTH_FAILing. Not sure what happened on AirVPN's side, but I just created a new ovpn config, replaced the existing one, and now everything is working again.

For my own knowledge, (and I could be misunderstanding), does this container prevent outbound traffic if the VPN isn't connected? ie, if I was pinging, should that have been prevented if it was AUTH_FAILing against the VPN?

• 4 months later...

@binhex I just wanted to request a feature. Would it be possible to add a feature where it randomly selects a openvpn config file? assuming the user/pass is same for all. My VPN provider has a lot of servers and sometimes one i have been using for a while get saturated or won't connect for one reason or another. I would like to just dump a couple config files in and let the docker pick at random.

• Like 1

hello folks, I am successfully using privoxy in this container.

microsocks starts, but when I put it in as SOCKS 4 or 5 in my browser (Port 9118) I get: Unable to connect.

When connecting with netcat I can see that the port is open.

I tmakes no difference whether I put a socks admin user and password or not.

So something breaks in microsocks, but I don't knwo where it puts its logs.

Anyone can help with troubleshooting/fixing this?

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I have been using Binhex-PrivoxyVPN for a number of years using privateinternetaccess... with no issues :)

However a few weeks ago I noticed some dockers were failing (Sonarr/Radarr, etc). When I looked into it, Binhex-PrivoxyVPN was showing as stopped... so I tried restarting and it starts then immediately stops again. I have checked my PIA credentials and they all seem correct (working in built in Windows VPN client), but I just cant get the docker to start. I have even deleted the whole docker + image and done a fresh install... the only way I can get the docker to start is by setting VPN_ENABLED to "no".

I could have sworn there was a SpaceInvaderOne tut on setting this up - but for the life of me cant find it :(

Can anyone help, or point me in the direction of an idiots guide?

Thanks in advance

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2022 at 10:05 AM, SliMat said:

Hi all,

I have been using Binhex-PrivoxyVPN for a number of years using privateinternetaccess... with no issues :)

However a few weeks ago I noticed some dockers were failing (Sonarr/Radarr, etc). When I looked into it, Binhex-PrivoxyVPN was showing as stopped... so I tried restarting and it starts then immediately stops again. I have checked my PIA credentials and they all seem correct (working in built in Windows VPN client), but I just cant get the docker to start. I have even deleted the whole docker + image and done a fresh install... the only way I can get the docker to start is by setting VPN_ENABLED to "no".

I could have sworn there was a SpaceInvaderOne tut on setting this up - but for the life of me cant find it :(

Can anyone help, or point me in the direction of an idiots guide?

Thanks in advance

lets start with some logs, do this:- https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/help.md

18 hours ago, binhex said:

Thanks @binhex - I wasnt sure where the log file was, so found it and had a quick look - found the problem straight away;

2022-07-08 09:44:03.667236 [crit] No OpenVPN config file located in /config/openvpn/ (ovpn extension), please download from your VPN provider and then restart this container.

Didnt realise that the ovpn file had been deleted!

Thanks

Edited by SliMat
  • 4 weeks later...

Update: I posted the solution to my issue and marked the original thread over in General as solved.

Original text follows:

I posted this question over in general support, but this thread might be a better place for it. Screenshots are in the other post. Anyone know what I might change in my docker configurations to get the WebUIs to work for other dockers?

Edited by DBJordan
Solved issue.
  • 1 month later...

My environment is setup with binhex-privoxyvpn acting as VPN tunnel, then several containers using that container as it's network for outbound communication. The containers are also setup to talk to each other within the VPN network via localhost references (VPN FAQ #24-26). Everything was working correctly in 6.9.4 in terms of communication, *arr containers could communicate outbound via the VPN, and to each other without issues, I could access the webgui's of all via specified ports on the binhex-provixyvpn container options.

I just updated from 6.9.4 to 6.10.3, and after the update (no issues during the update), the containers I have using the binhex-provixyvpn network are no longer able to communicate to each other. They can still communicate out through the VPN, and I can access the web GUI's for the containers, but any attempts for one container to use "localhost:<port>" to communicate to another container within the VPN network do not work. Within the *arr logs, they're all met with a "connection timeout" error.

I double checked all of ports required, and they're all setup the way they were previous to 6.10.3. In regard to Q26 of FAQ, i'm not using a proxy connection on the containers so I don't _think_ it applies to me since they're connecting directly through the container network (correct me if I'm wrong). Tried changing Docker Network type from macvlan to ipvlan, but was still unable to get container to container communication working.

Any suggestions to restore inter-container communication?

I'm not sure I 100% understand the FAQ, but here's what works for me in 6.11.0-rc5.

For the VPN (in my case, binhex-qbittorrentvpn), I have:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Container version="2">
  <Name>binhex-qbittorrentvpn</Name>
  <Repository>binhex/arch-qbittorrentvpn:latest</Repository>
  <Registry>https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/binhex/arch-qbittorrentvpn/</Registry>
  <Network>bridge</Network>
  <MyIP/>
  <Shell>sh</Shell>
  <Privileged>true</Privileged>
  <WebUI>http://[IP]:[PORT:8080]/</WebUI>
  <TemplateURL>https://raw.githubusercontent.com/binhex/docker-templates/master/binhex/qbittorrentvpn.xml</TemplateURL>
  <Icon>https://raw.githubusercontent.com/binhex/docker-templates/master/binhex/images/qbittorrent-icon.png</Icon>
  <ExtraParams/>
  <PostArgs/>
  <CPUset/>
  <DateInstalled>1663291762</DateInstalled>
  <DonateText/>
  <DonateLink/>
  <Requires/>
  <Config Name="radarr port" Target="7878" Default="" Mode="tcp" Description="" Type="Port" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="false">7878</Config>
  <Config Name="VPN_INPUT_PORTS" Target="VPN_INPUT_PORTS" Default="" Mode="" Description="" Type="Variable" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="false">7878,9117,8989,8686,5299,9696,8787,8191,5800,5900</Config>
  <Config Name="VPN_OUTPUT_PORTS" Target="VPN_OUTPUT_PORTS" Default="" Mode="" Description="" Type="Variable" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="false">7878,9117,8989,8686,5299,9696,8787,8191,5800,5900</Config>
  <Config Name="AppData Config Path" Target="/config" Default="/mnt/user/appdata/binhex-qbittorrentvpn" Mode="rw" Description="" Type="Path" Display="advanced-hide" Required="true" Mask="false">/mnt/user/appdata/binhex-qbittorrentvpn</Config>
</Container>

For radarr, I do have the network set to use the VPN container, and I've deleted the 7878 port references from it (except in the WebUI):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Container version="2">
  <Name>radarr</Name>
  <Repository>linuxserver/radarr:nightly</Repository>
  <Registry>https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/radarr/</Registry>
  <Network>container:binhex-qbittorrentvpn</Network>
  <MyIP/>
  <Shell>sh</Shell>
  <Privileged>false</Privileged>
  <Support>https://forums.unraid.net/topic/53758-support-linuxserverio-radarr/</Support>
  <Project>https://github.com/Radarr/Radarr</Project>
  <Overview>Radarr - A fork of Sonarr to work with movies &#xE0; la Couchpotato.</Overview>
  <Category>Downloaders: MediaApp:Video</Category>
  <WebUI>http://172.16.100.100:7878</WebUI>
  <TemplateURL>https://raw.githubusercontent.com/linuxserver/docker-templates/master/linuxserver.io/radarr.xml</TemplateURL>
  <Icon>https://raw.githubusercontent.com/linuxserver/docker-templates/master/linuxserver.io/img/radarr.png</Icon>
  <ExtraParams/>
  <PostArgs/>
  <CPUset/>
  <DateInstalled>1661877324</DateInstalled>
  <DonateText/>
  <DonateLink/>
  <Requires/>
  <Config Name="Host Path 2" Target="/downloads" Default="" Mode="rw" Description="" Type="Path" Display="always" Required="true" Mask="false">/mnt/user/Saidar/_Downloads/movie/</Config>
  <Config Name="Host Path 3" Target="/movies" Default="" Mode="rw" Description="" Type="Path" Display="always" Required="true" Mask="false">/mnt/user/Saidar/Videos/Movies/</Config>
  <Config Name="Key 1" Target="PUID" Default="99" Mode="" Description="" Type="Variable" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="false">99</Config>
  <Config Name="Key 2" Target="PGID" Default="100" Mode="" Description="" Type="Variable" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="false">100</Config>
  <Config Name="binhex connector" Target="/data" Default="" Mode="rw" Description="" Type="Path" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="false">/mnt/user/Saidar/</Config>
  <Config Name="AppData Config Path" Target="/config" Default="/mnt/user/appdata/radarr" Mode="rw" Description="" Type="Path" Display="advanced-hide" Required="true" Mask="false">/mnt/user/appdata/radarr</Config>
</Container>

I guess I'm abandoning the internal container network or something by doing this, but it works.

Edited by DBJordan
Cleaned up the vpn config slightly.

thanks for the suggestion @DBJordan, but no dice. For the sake of argument I did add the same ports I had in VPN_INPUT_PORTS on the binhex-privoxyvpn container to VPN_OUTPUT_PORTS, but still negative. I did discover that my prowlarr container can talk to my flaresolverr container, so at least two containers can talk to each other, but other containers still can't talk to each other, even though they're all using the same binhex-privoxy container network and all localhost references. Still at a loss to figure out why there's no communication.

I tried leaving the binhex-privoxyvpn container on debug and tailing the log, but didn't see anything where it was blocking any traffic. Some containers are just timing out when trying to talk to each other over the binhex-privoxy container network in 6.10.3, where it was working fine in 6.9.4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, just facing a problem with PrivoxyVPN that appeared out of the blue.

Using Spaceinvader One's video here, I set up MeTube to use PrivoxyVPN when downloading stuff.

The system has been working great for a year now.

Today, I tried to download another video but MeTube said it cannot connect.

I removed and reinstalled both MeTube and Privoxy but still nothing.

I am using Mullvad and I created new config files to try, again with no result.

I understand that if I open PrivoxyVPN's console and type:

curl ipconfig.io

this should show me the public IP address as acquired by Mullvad, but the command times out after a while with the error:

curl: (28) Failed to connect to ipconfig.io port 80 after 214681 ms: Connection timed out

This tells me there is no connection to Mullvan VPN, which is the reason why MeTube won't connect.

Here are the logs:

2022-10-16 10:50:36,011 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
--------------------

2022-10-16 10:50:36,015 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[info] Attempting to bring WireGuard interface 'up'...

2022-10-16 10:50:36,032 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
Warning: `/config/wireguard/wg0.conf' is world accessible

2022-10-16 10:50:36,045 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
[#] ip link add wg0 type wireguard

2022-10-16 10:50:36,047 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
[#] wg setconf wg0 /dev/fd/63

2022-10-16 10:50:36,049 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
[#] ip -4 address add 10.67.14.202/32 dev wg0

2022-10-16 10:50:36,056 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
[#] ip link set mtu 1420 up dev wg0

2022-10-16 10:50:36,059 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
[#] resolvconf -a wg0 -m 0 -x

2022-10-16 10:50:36,087 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
[#] wg set wg0 fwmark 51820

2022-10-16 10:50:36,088 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
[#] ip -4 route add 0.0.0.0/0 dev wg0 table 51820

2022-10-16 10:50:36,090 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
[#] ip -4 rule add not fwmark 51820 table 51820

2022-10-16 10:50:36,091 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
[#] ip -4 rule add table main suppress_prefixlength 0

2022-10-16 10:50:36,097 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
[#] sysctl -q net.ipv4.conf.all.src_valid_mark=1

2022-10-16 10:50:36,098 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
[#] iptables-restore -n

2022-10-16 10:50:36,101 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
[#] '/root/wireguardup.sh'

2022-10-16 10:50:37,216 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[info] Application does not require external IP address, skipping external IP address detection

2022-10-16 10:50:37,217 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[info] Application does not require port forwarding or VPN provider is != pia, skipping incoming port assignment

2022-10-16 10:50:37,218 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[info] WireGuard interface 'up'

2022-10-16 10:50:37,284 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] Privoxy not running

2022-10-16 10:50:37,286 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] Attempting to start Privoxy...

2022-10-16 10:50:38,293 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] Privoxy process started
[info] Waiting for Privoxy process to start listening on port 8118...

2022-10-16 10:50:38,300 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] Privoxy process listening on port 8118

Has something changed? Is there a way to resolve this please?

Edited by morethanenough
Added logs
Just now, morethanenough said:

10.13.88.8 (my PC, if that's what you mean)

ok then it looks like your LAN_NETWORK is correct too, can you fire up chrome and configure it to use the proxy, this will then prove connectivity is working from the container to your machine.