[Support] binhex - PrivoxyVPN

2 minutes ago, mbc0 said:

Thanks binhex, I appreciate it!

I decided to run the docker on my other unRAID server anyway all running as expected! I just need to try and understand if socks is necessary or not! all new to me!! 

Thanks again for making fantastic dockers!!

its only necessary when you need it :-), if you dont know whether you need it, then chances are you dont :-), 

5 minutes ago, mbc0 said:

lol, yes I know what you are saying! 

trouble is, when googling this kind of thing opinions are all over the place!

would love to know your opinion on my friend that runs sonarr, radarr, deluge & streams IPTV would need it or not 😄

sonarr and radarr can safely be pointed at privoxy (http/https proxy), deluge needs to be run via vpn as it leaks over socks proxy.

for streaming IPTV you would need to be either using a socks5 proxy or vpn tunnel as data is not sent over http/https, just make sure whatever IPTV client you have that it does not leak if the socks5 proxy goes down - disclaimer i have very little experience with iptv so double check this statement is correct.

thanks for taking the time for a detailed reply 🙂

sonarr, radarr & windows vm's are running through your privoxy docker, and your delugevpn docker is being used as well so all good there!

I will do some reading regarding the socks5 proxy vs vpn tunnel for IPTV 

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I have installed the Docker and set it up. However, when I try to access the GUI, I get this error : "Invalid header received from client."

I tried to find a solution online, without success.

Any idea ?

With thanks,
G
There is no GUI, you use it by configuring the application(s) to use the proxy IP and port, such as a web browser.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, binhex said:

There is no GUI

Hi binhex,

Thank you very much for clarifying this (I am a rookie with all this).

If I may humbly make a suggestion : would it be a good idea to remove the "http://[IP]:[PORT:8118]/" parameter from "WebUI" line in the docker configuration by default so that unaware people like me don't get confused when they click on the privoxyvpn docker icon and see the option to select "WebUI" while there is in fact no such docker "WebUI" ?

Also, for those wondering about the "Invalid header received from client." message when clicking on "WebUI", the correct way to access privoxy settings from your web browser is to : (i) set your web browser or computer to use a proxy; (ii) enter your privoxyvpn docker container host address and the relevant port in your web browser's or computer's proxy configuration dialogue (default port is 8118); and (iii) go to the following url: http://config.privoxy.org/ (if correctly setup, it will redirect you to local pages allowing you to configure some parameters, even if you are not connected to the internet).

I wish you all a good day.

Regards,

G

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Opawesome said:

I think that would only work if the web browser you are using to connect to the Unraid WebUI is itself setup to route traffic through the prixovy http proxy.

Have you actually visited that link? It tells you if you are not properly connected through privoxy, and gives instructions on how to fix. I think that link is the ideal thing to put there.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Is it possible to put an entire docker or VM through this docker?

I currently have a VM running through it using Internet proxy settings so when I browse the internet I can see that I am running through PIA and I am in another country but through a command prompt on the same windows 10 VM it shows my real IP instead of the PIA one. is it possible to put the whole VM or a docker through privoxy?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello - I was wondering if there's a way to run this app on a subnet different than that of the unraid server?  I know this is not the regular setup, but my home network is setup with VLANs for WIFI and LAN computers. When I set this up to run on the same VLAN as the unraid server (LAN) it works fine, but none of my WIFI clients can connect through it. 

Example: 

My LAN is 192.168.5.0/24.  (unraid box and all LAN clients)

My WIFI is 192.168.10.0/24. (all wifi clients)

The unraid box is running on 192.168.5.9 and any LAN clients can use the proxy with no issues. 

If I change the LAN_NETWORK variable to 192.168.10.0/24 then none of the clients can connect anymore.  

I'm sorry if this is a noob question, but I'm guessing this is because the subnet 192.168.10.0/24 is not setup within the container. 

If there's any way to set this up, please let me know. It would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

8 hours ago, learnin2walk said:

Hello - I was wondering if there's a way to run this app on a subnet different than that of the unraid server?  I know this is not the regular setup, but my home network is setup with VLANs for WIFI and LAN computers. When I set this up to run on the same VLAN as the unraid server (LAN) it works fine, but none of my WIFI clients can connect through it. 

Example: 

My LAN is 192.168.5.0/24.  (unraid box and all LAN clients)

My WIFI is 192.168.10.0/24. (all wifi clients)

The unraid box is running on 192.168.5.9 and any LAN clients can use the proxy with no issues. 

If I change the LAN_NETWORK variable to 192.168.10.0/24 then none of the clients can connect anymore.  

I'm sorry if this is a noob question, but I'm guessing this is because the subnet 192.168.10.0/24 is not setup within the container. 

If there's any way to set this up, please let me know. It would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

set LAN_NETWORK to a value of:-

192.168.10.0/24,192.168.5.0/24

Thanks for this! I was wondering if this would support multiple .ovpn files in the openvpn folder -- and maybe use a random one whenever it connects / timesout? I experienced a server going down and it won't connect until I uploaded another .ovpn file, and I only figured that out after a few days.

52 minutes ago, rsuplido said:

Thanks for this! I was wondering if this would support multiple .ovpn files in the openvpn folder

in a word, no, however if you are using a mainstream vpn provider then they typically have multiple servers for each hostname endpoint, and in this case i have coded it such that it will resolve all server ip's and then randomly re-connect on vpn tunnel drop, if you are using a single ip address for the remote line then that will always bite you sooner or later.

5 minutes ago, binhex said:

in a word, no, however if you are using a mainstream vpn provider then they typically have multiple servers for each hostname endpoint, and in this case i have coded it such that it will resolve all server ip's and then randomly re-connect on vpn tunnel drop, if you are using a single ip address for the remote line then that will always bite you sooner or later.

I use NordVPN and they have one .ovpn for each of their 5220 servers in 59 countries. See all of them here for example: https://nordvpn.com/ovpn/

Thanks.

19 minutes ago, rsuplido said:

I use NordVPN and they have one .ovpn for each of their 5220 servers in 59 countries. See all of them here for example: https://nordvpn.com/ovpn/

Thanks.

that is surprising, ok for now your best bet is to change the remote line in the ovpn file from the ip address to the name of the server you want to connect to, at least in that way if the ip address changes (due to the server going down) then you should pick up the new server without having to change the ovpn file, e.g.:-

remote al10.nordvpn.com 1194

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi @binhex. First off, thanks for all you do.  love your containers, and have been running `binhex-delugevpn` since I moved to unRAID.

I'm hoping to get your opinion on something I've been trying to accomplish.  I use IRC for quite a bit of communication, and using a BNC (like ZNC) has been very useful. I want to connect to the IRC networks over a VPN, but ZNC does not offer proxy support.

To accomplish this, I'm using the `LSIO ZNC` container with a custom network called `container:binhex-privoxyvpn`. I then expose/publish the ZNC port (6501) in the `binhex-privoxyvpn` container, and remove the 6501 port mapping in the ZNC container. This works, as I had hoped. I can hop on any IRC client (as long as I'm on the same network as the unRAID server) and connect to all of my favorite IRC networks/channels (and do so through PIA servers!). The issue is gaining remote access. I'd like to keep ZNC running on my server, but be able to connect remotely.

I tested running ZNC in normal bridge mode with 6501 port mapping exposed/published, and I port forwarded 6501 from my server within my router software. Doing this, I could connect to the ZNC container on my server from remote locations (although the traffic was not protected by PIA VPN/privoxy). However, if I then go back to piping the ZNC traffic through the `binhex-privoxyvpn` container, I can no longer connect and checking open ports shows 6501 as closed. I believe I've narrowed down the issue to this statement in the log `Application does not require port forwarding or VPN provider is != pia, skipping incoming port assignment`.

Can you think of any tips/tricks to getting this to work? Thanks for your time.

Hi @binhex. First off, thanks for all you do.  love your containers, and have been running `binhex-delugevpn` since I moved to unRAID.

I'm hoping to get your opinion on something I've been trying to accomplish.  I use IRC for quite a bit of communication, and using a BNC (like ZNC) has been very useful. I want to connect to the IRC networks over a VPN, but ZNC does not offer proxy support.

To accomplish this, I'm using the `LSIO ZNC` container with a custom network called `container:binhex-privoxyvpn`. I then expose/publish the ZNC port (6501) in the `binhex-privoxyvpn` container, and remove the 6501 port mapping in the ZNC container. This works, as I had hoped. I can hop on any IRC client (as long as I'm on the same network as the unRAID server) and connect to all of my favorite IRC networks/channels (and do so through PIA servers!). The issue is gaining remote access. I'd like to keep ZNC running on my server, but be able to connect remotely.

I tested running ZNC in normal bridge mode with 6501 port mapping exposed/published, and I port forwarded 6501 from my server within my router software. Doing this, I could connect to the ZNC container on my server from remote locations (although the traffic was not protected by PIA VPN/privoxy). However, if I then go back to piping the ZNC traffic through the `binhex-privoxyvpn` container, I can no longer connect and checking open ports shows 6501 as closed. I believe I've narrowed down the issue to this statement in the log `Application does not require port forwarding or VPN provider is != pia, skipping incoming port assignment`.

Can you think of any tips/tricks to getting this to work? Thanks for your time.

Have you thought about using my IRC client hexchat? It has support for socks proxy and thus works with microsocks which is included in privoxyvpn, works a treat!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, binhex said:

Have you thought about using my IRC client hexchat? It has support for socks proxy and thus works with microsocks which is included in privoxyvpn, works a treat!

Oh cool. I didn't see hexchat on your main images page, so I didn't know you had an IRC client! 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this will quite solve my issue. I'd like to use a BNC on my server to be constantly connected to the IRC channels with playback support. Using hexchat, I could connect to my ZNC over a proxy (privoxy), but that doesn't protect my connection to the IRC networks/channels (would only anonymize the connection to my own server).

Ideally I'd like to find a way to have a BNC connect over privoxy, and then use hexchat or another client to connect to the BNC.

Perhaps I'm just not understanding the scope of your hexchat container, though. Thanks for the reply. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

On 11/26/2019 at 2:36 PM, melmurp said:

I'm using a provider that has multiple remote ips (not hostnames) defined in the ovpn file but when the docker spins up it removes them all and inserts the first one at the top of the file so next time it starts only that single entry exist now.

Is this intentional?

Tks!

Could I get some insight into this? I like the idea of having the all in one (privoxy/socks/openvpn) in a single container but defeats the purpose if it removes all the hosts and just hardcodes to the first one.