[SOLVED] Alternative to Plex


rmp5s

20 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

I got the Plex Docker container set up and, as illustrated here and here (bottom of the page), Plex is basically useless on the Shield TV.  

 

Is anyone running anything else?  I need an alternative.  Having to restart every video ever 10 minutes or so is unacceptable.

Link to post
3 minutes ago, binhex said:

Don't forget jellyfin

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
 

Meh, the whole reason that Emby went closed source was the lead Jellyfin dev forked it to bypass some nag screens.  We want quality software, I think devs should be rewarded for their efforts.  Whilst I love opensource software, I didn't like the way the whole Emby to Jellyfin fork thing went down.  Hence I continue to recommend Emby.

Link to post

Initial Emby impressions:

Very...basic.  SUPER simple interface.  Nowhere NEAR as "pretty" as Plex...

Simple enough setup.

I have to pay SIX BUCKS A MONTH to use my HD Homerun...seriously...

I hate how we live in the age of "subscription all the things".

Still getting some wonky behavior on a few video files, but I think that might just be the files.

 

I'll give it a few days and see how it goes.  I'm definitely not subscribing to anything, but if it works a lot better, I might try to see if they have a prepay option that's reasonable.

Link to post
21 hours ago, Zonediver said:

If Plex is not running properly on Shield TV, why dont you use a Raspberry with RasPlex?

I use three Raspberrys since 2016 without any problems...

The last thing I need is MORE devices...lol

21 hours ago, BetaQuasi said:

FWIW, I use the linuxserver Plex docker with a Shield TV/Plex client I bought last year.. no issues in 12+ months of using it, including after updates etc.

Hmm...I'm using Binhex because everything I have is Binhex.  Maybe I'll give that one a shot.

 

Not really a fan of Emby.

Link to post
15 hours ago, rmp5s said:

The last thing I need is MORE devices...lol

Hmm...I'm using Binhex because everything I have is Binhex.  Maybe I'll give that one a shot.

 

Not really a fan of Emby.

I didnt mean, you should use an "additional" device... use the Raspberry "instead" of this Nvidia crap... and like BetaQuasi mentioned, use the Plex Docker from linuxserver.to - i am using it too and it works without any problems 😉

Edited by Zonediver
Link to post
On 2/18/2019 at 6:06 AM, Zonediver said:

I didnt mean, you should use an "additional" device... use the Raspberry "instead" of this Nvidia crap... and like BetaQuasi mentioned, use the Plex Docker from linuxserver.to - i am using it too and it works without any problems 😉

Alright, cool.  I'll give the linuxserver container a try.  Thanks.

Link to post
1 hour ago, rmp5s said:

Alright, cool.  I'll give the linuxserver container a try.  Thanks.

Which Plex container had you been using? I use Plex's official container and don't have any issues. We are not running any Shields though. A Fire TV 4K Stick, Fire TV 4K, and 2 Fire TV Sticks. Only the 2 older Fire TV Sticks don't play recorded MPEG2 very well. They don't deinterlace 1080i and decode MPEG2 in software. The more powerful Fire TV devices natively decode MPEG2 in hardware so they work the best. The only device I have Plex issues with is actually the 4K Stick. It has issues with playback freezing occasionally but otherwise works really well.

Link to post
51 minutes ago, Taddeusz said:

Which Plex container had you been using? I use Plex's official container and don't have any issues. We are not running any Shields though. A Fire TV 4K Stick, Fire TV 4K, and 2 Fire TV Sticks. Only the 2 older Fire TV Sticks don't play recorded MPEG2 very well. They don't deinterlace 1080i and decode MPEG2 in software. The more powerful Fire TV devices natively decode MPEG2 in hardware so they work the best. The only device I have Plex issues with is actually the 4K Stick. It has issues with playback freezing occasionally but otherwise works really well.

I've been using Binhex's container.  I know the Shield TV is MORE than powerful enough to do it and I know my network is plenty fast enough.  That's why, when I get the "your connection is not fast enough" error, I know it's BS.  Plus, if I hit back and then play again, it plays perfectly...sometimes to the end of the show, even!

Link to post
9 minutes ago, rmp5s said:

I've been using Binhex's container.  I know the Shield TV is MORE than powerful enough to do it and I know my network is plenty fast enough.  That's why, when I get the "your connection is not fast enough" error, I know it's BS.  Plus, if I hit back and then play again, it plays perfectly...sometimes to the end of the show, even!

I’ve not used Binhex’s Plex container. Is it kept up to date with the latest version of Plex?

 

The Shield is the most powerful Android TV device there is. I don’t know why it would have issues.

Link to post

It may be that using other containers isn't going to address your issue.  See the below link from nVidia.  Looks like we're waiting on a new Plex client as well as a new Shield firmware to fully fix it.  Suspect it's specific use cases that are affected - all my files are .mkv and uncompressed, and I'm connected via ethernet and have no issues.

 

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1091469/shield-tv/shield-plex-playback-issues-on-7-2/post/5987072/#5987072

 

Link to post
10 hours ago, Taddeusz said:

Is it kept up to date with the latest version of Plex?

Yes very much so I have run this docker from the beginning flawlessly I too do not have an Nvidia shield so no help here but I would also question the value of changing containers but who knows until you try

Link to post

Yea, from what I understand, this is caused by the way Plex does audio/video sync.  Due to the wonky wireless drivers the nVidia Shield TV has, it gets out of sync and throws the error.  When I heard about this, I did a test:  I pinged the Shield TV from a laptop on the same wireless AP and, no joke, the response time varied WILDLY...everything from 2 or 3ms all the way up to over a hundred!  It's all OVER the place!!

 

image.png.657de6b3c64fa1eea93145d879ee900f.png

 

So, I'm just going to try cabling it and see if that fixes it.  It should, in theory.

 

9 hours ago, BetaQuasi said:

It may be that using other containers isn't going to address your issue.  See the below link from nVidia.  Looks like we're waiting on a new Plex client as well as a new Shield firmware to fully fix it.  Suspect it's specific use cases that are affected - all my files are .mkv and uncompressed, and I'm connected via ethernet and have no issues.

 

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1091469/shield-tv/shield-plex-playback-issues-on-7-2/post/5987072/#5987072

 

I don't think the issue I'm having has to do with filetype or compression or anything as I have the issue with all different kinds of files.  Including mkv.  I think having it cabled is what makes the biggest difference.

Link to post
  • rmp5s changed the title to [SOLVED] Alternative to Plex

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.