[Support] Linuxserver.io - Unifi-Controller

1 hour ago, PeteAsking said:

I have had no issues and its working as expected.

In your travels through the interwebs, have you run across anyone who has upgraded straight from 5.14.23-ls76 to this current release? Do you have reason to believe that there may be specific intermediate steps that may need to happen for a smooth database upgrade? I know you personally went through a few intermediate versions, but I was hoping to avoid that if possible.

Thanks for being our test pilot, I really appreciate your willingness to "take one for the team" if needed with this whole years long saga.

• Like 1

I think the version is totally upgradable from 5.14 without an issue. I see people on the forums who have done it without any issue at all even though I havent done it myself. Obviously with docker its very easy to just take a copy of the docker files and put it back if anything goes wrong anyway so would recommend just stopping it, copying down the docker files, then upgrading. It does take longer to start up when doing the upgrade as it is updating some files and the database so maybe you have to just give it 5 minutes or so to complete the first time you move to the newer version. And obviously the cosmetic changes are still there which some people dont like but main issue is if you have wifi6 devices (or intend to buy them), you cant escape upgrading.

When all is said and done, 5.14 was a really amazing and stable version with a nice interface so the best one can ever hope is to equal it in a future version. Its going to be a while to we see that same level again so just temper your expectations a little if you upgrade (ie the new interface isnt as nice and wotnot but at the same time its certainly usable in a production environment from what I can tell).

• Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

@PeteAsking, are you planning on static tagging to unifi-controller:version-6.2.26 or are you going to roll the dice on latest?

Yes exactly I always tag because running latest is just too risky. Currently my tag reads in full as:

linuxserver/unifi-controller:version-6.2.26

I dont see a benefit to not tagging a version. You get any fixes to it and are not surprised one day by a bad upgrade. And if the version turns out to be a good stable one then you can just sit on it for a while. Its honestly required sysadmin for the unifi docker at this point :)

• Upvote 1
On 8/14/2021 at 7:06 AM, Abigel said:

Hi

I want to connect my AP to the controller but he can't find it.

I used set-inform http://IP-from-controller:8080/inform but it doesn't worked :(

AP: U6-Lite-BZ.5.60.9

Controller: LTS

I saw this message a few days ago and didnt know how to respond so just waited to see if anyone else would.

Im guessing nobody will.

You see the issue is that you have provided too little information for anyone to actually help you. While we might know more that you do collectively and easily be able to solve a problem like this on our own, you invariably know more about your current setup and the steps you have taken to get to this point. We are totally reliant on you to actually give us information. If you fail to do this, then helping you is impossible. For all we know you have a complex setup with VLANS etc. But right now we are totally in the dark.

So can you actually write up a detailed scenario and problem, with steps you took to resolve so far so we can check we agree with what you have done up until this point?

Pete

2 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Does 5.6.42 even recognize a U6-Lite?

@Abigel My guess is that this is the problem.  The LTS version of the controller does not support the WiFi 6 access points.  I have a U6-Lite as well as a few AC APs and am running controller version 5.14.23 with no issues.  You will need to update your controller to a version that supports the U6-Lite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FYI I decided to upgrade to v6.2.26 using the docker tag:

I also updated the firmware of my two AP AC LR to v5.43.38 (from v4), although one of them kept failing, and I had to 'cache' it in the controller before the upgrade worked successfully (Settings > Maintenance > Cache). The other (slightly newer hardware) updated fine the first time (before I'd cached the firmware), however.

I also had to change my guest network authentication to explicitly use a password, and then re-enter what used to be the "WPA2" password (I don't use a portal, it's just an isolated network I use for untrusted devices).

I also changed the Internet > WAN > Advanced > DHCP to point to my pihole DHCP server (don't know if I had to, but there was no value in that box) as well as Network > LAN > Advanced > DHCP UniFi Controller to point to my pihole DHCP sever, too, just in case that was needed as well.
Aside from the firmware update hiccup, everything seems to be working well. I can't really see anything missing from the 'new' interface, and am enjoying its layout. I am generally a 'set and forget' user, though, so power users may find the new interface lacking.

I'll report back if anything breaks.

Thanks for taking the initial plunge @PeteAsking!

Edited by jademonkee
clarification
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, jademonkee said:

FYI I decided to upgrade to v6.2.26 using the docker tag:

Another bit of anecdata. I had been on :latest until it broke during an update a few weeks ago (6.2.24? something like that) and I rolled backed to a named versioned tag that would let the container start. Yesterday I bumped to 6.2.26 and the container started and has been working correctly. No firmware update for my USG3 / already running 4.4.55 with an uptime of 48 days.

No problems with migration, everything appears to be working.

On 8/17/2021 at 3:30 PM, PeteAsking said:

Just to reiterate. If you run tag: latest you will 100% have an issue at some point. Just use the tag of the latest version if you want the latest version. You are then in control as to when you move to the next version. No surprises and if people are complaining you can wait it out.

Yup, I got the memo, had to learn at some point. 🙂

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

I've just noticed today tat I can't reach the Web UI of my Unifi controller any more. 

No idea what's going on, but it just times out. When I try to ping the ip (including port) on the network it says there is no host. pinging the main ip of the server still works, as expected. 

Things I've tried: 

Updating the container.

Restarting the container

Changing tag to LTS and updating. 

No dice on any of these. Does anyone have any idea what the issue may be? 

EDIT: I also CAN'T reach the web UI of my Syncthing container, but I CAN reach the UI of Plex and Netdata, so the issue is obviously not across the board. 

EDIT2: Attached diagnostics

old-hen-diagnostics-20210902-1033.zip

Edited by toptable
On 2/20/2019 at 6:02 PM, spencers said:

Had some issues moving from the old linuxserver unifi image to this new controller image--devices were stuck and wouldn't adopt. I fixed this by changing the docker image network from bridge to host; now each connect without a hitch.

Thank you! You're an absolute legend changing from bridge to host fixed my adoption issue, it connected up instantly after switching!

On 9/2/2021 at 11:27 AM, toptable said:

Hello, 

I've just noticed today tat I can't reach the Web UI of my Unifi controller any more. 

No idea what's going on, but it just times out. When I try to ping the ip (including port) on the network it says there is no host. pinging the main ip of the server still works, as expected. 

Things I've tried: 

Updating the container.

Restarting the container

Changing tag to LTS and updating. 

No dice on any of these. Does anyone have any idea what the issue may be? 

EDIT: I also CAN'T reach the web UI of my Syncthing container, but I CAN reach the UI of Plex and Netdata, so the issue is obviously not across the board. 

EDIT2: Attached diagnostics

old-hen-diagnostics-20210902-1033.zip 111.07 kB · 0 downloads

Same here, tried everything. Anyone any tips?

Just after posting this my container started working again. I switched to older versions, then back to latest and forced an update using "advanced settings" in Docker page on Unraid. Then restarted, didn't work. Opened a console in the Docker, tried to find logs and checked processes. Then posted my post above and when I went back I thought let's give the Web UI one more try and it worked! 

Sorry, no real solution here, but you might try forcing an update using "Advanced View". Click on "Basic View" in the upper right corner and then scroll to the docker and click "force update".

On 8/16/2021 at 2:36 PM, PeteAsking said:

I saw this message a few days ago and didnt know how to respond so just waited to see if anyone else would.

Im guessing nobody will.

You see the issue is that you have provided too little information for anyone to actually help you. While we might know more that you do collectively and easily be able to solve a problem like this on our own, you invariably know more about your current setup and the steps you have taken to get to this point. We are totally reliant on you to actually give us information. If you fail to do this, then helping you is impossible. For all we know you have a complex setup with VLANS etc. But right now we are totally in the dark.

So can you actually write up a detailed scenario and problem, with steps you took to resolve so far so we can check we agree with what you have done up until this point?

Pete

Thank you
but I sent the device back because I was a bit overwhelmed with it

For the life of me I cannot get the Unifi Controller web UI to respond. I've tried 5.7, 5.8, 5.9, LTS... I've even deleted my Docker img and started everything from scratch. I've updated to the latest Unraid 6.9.2. Nothing works and I have no idea what I'm missing. 

EDIT:

In 5.9, the web UI responds but I get "UniFi Controller is starting up... Please wait a moment". Refreshing after several minutes reveals the same message.

Edited by kazanjig
15 minutes ago, kazanjig said:

For the life of me I cannot get the Unifi Controller web UI to respond. I've tried 5.7, 5.8, 5.9, LTS... I've even deleted my Docker img and started everything from scratch. I've updated to the latest Unraid 6.9.2. Nothing works and I have no idea what I'm missing. 

EDIT:

In 5.9, the web UI responds but I get "UniFi Controller is starting up... Please wait a moment". Refreshing after several minutes reveals the same message.

Post your docker run command.https://forums.unraid.net/topic/57181-docker-faq/?do=findComment&comment=564345

So, I think it's actually a cache issue. My syslog is getting flooded with "shfs: cache disk full" and I believe that's causing the whole system to hang. I'm not currently using the server -- it was unstable and would only stay up for a couple days before crashing so I'm trying to 'rebuild' it. There is a bunch of data stored on it but no shares actively being used, no Dockers or VMs running. There's a bunch of stuff on my cache from previous Docker installs that I'll likely need to regain access to. I've attached my diagnostics. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ursus-diagnostics-20210908-1046.zip

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2021 at 12:41 PM, nxtiak said:

Mine I can't reach. Restarting the docker I can connect to it and do stuff, then later when I try, it's dead. Been like this for a couple weeks now. Also today my Dashboard got reset, went back to default Wi-Fi metrics only. ARGH.

Try the 2GB docker option spoken about in the thread multiple times.