[Support] Linuxserver.io - Unifi-Controller

On 9/23/2021 at 10:00 PM, PeteAsking said:

Im trying out version-6.4.54

I just took the plunge. Will report back if anything strange happens.

Something strange happened before I upgraded: the theme went to white (from dark) and it said that some WiFi options I had weren't compatible. I had changed nothing since I last upgraded, so don't know why. Maybe something corrupted in the db (again...)?

So yeah: any problems I face may not actually be due to the upgrade, anyhow.

Ok, so since upgrading (or since the weird error that reset the theme in the dashboard?) I no longer see traffic on my dashboard. Yay. I just love this company...

UniFiNetwork.png

EDIT: Unless it's just changed what's displayed there? It used to show the current bandwidth being used, but maybe it's now meant to show the results of the "traffic identification" option, which I have turned off. I've just turned it on, but it's still not showing anything. I'll give it a few minutes to populate...

Any idea how to just show bandwidth being used again, like it used to?

EDITEDIT: confirming that yes, the dashboard has changed to display the data gathered by the "traffic identification" option. Can also confirm that enabling the traffic management option severely reduces my throughput, so I have once again disabled it.

EDITEDITEDIT: later further testing showed that enabling traffic management doesn't impact my bandwidth: my initial poor results were simply coincidence.

Edited by jademonkee
  • Thanks 1

I just realized I've been running "latest" all the time since it's the default, but I'd rather be on LTS. What's the best way to move to the LTS branch, keeping your configuration? I tried reinstalling and restoring from backup, but that wasn't possible since the backup was done with a newer version of the controller.

38 minutes ago, Ancan said:

I just realized I've been running "latest" all the time since it's the default, but I'd rather be on LTS. What's the best way to move to the LTS branch, keeping your configuration? I tried reinstalling and restoring from backup, but that wasn't possible since the backup was done with a newer version of the controller.

You can't use an older version once you've run a newer version with that config. The best you can do is specify the tag for the version you are currently on, and wait for LTS to catch up. That, or redo your config from scratch with LTS, which is extremely outdated at the moment.

Since that specific exact scenario isn't likely to happen, you are better off using specific tags and keeping up with needed updates whenever you feel like a new tag has been sufficiently tested.

Currently I've personally moved from LTS to 5.14.23-ls76, as I said in the pinned post, but @PeteAsking has had good luck moving to the later tags, I may move up in a month or two.

I recommend you just use the specific tag that latest currently points to, and hold there while keeping an eye on this thread and the unifi forums.

Ok sounds good to me. 5.14.23-ls76 is still in my opinion the absolute best version and only issue with it is the wifi6 devices that have come out from unifi that require a later version than the 5.14 series one. Literally that version is unbreakable in my opinion.

That said, if you dont configure or change settings much or mind the new GUI (although occasional settings can still only be changed in the classic interface still) the last couple of versions have been ok, and currently this linuxserver/unifi-controller:version-6.4.54 seems acceptable. Its similar to the linuxserver/unifi-controller:version-6.2.26 version but contains more bugfixes so if you were using 6.2.26 before then likely 6.4.54 will be an improvement for you.

I would also say it could be a very long wait for a version like 5.14.23 again, so unless you are in an enterprise setting and dont intend to replace any kit for a couple years then you may as well at some point try out the 6 series. Its getting better slowly which is great because a while back upgrading seemed to be a nightmare undertaking where you could end up with no working kit post upgrade. I did like the widgets etc that the previous version had but I am finding that I have learned to live without them on the 6 series anyway and tend to log into the controller a lot less and just use my phone if I want to see a specific client so maybe its a good thing to not be tempted to "improve" (AKA fiddle) around in the controller so often I dont know. Maybe others will find the same sort of thing Im not sure.

Edited by PeteAsking
  • Thanks 1

I have an issue with the latest version... (wasn't aware that I always used the latest version ☹️ )

error: HTTP Status 404 – Not Found

It always worked fine, till latest update...

Should I wait for a new update or do I have to reinstall the docker container and this reconfigure my unifi system?

I mean we are pretty helpful on this thread I feel, but you do actually have to take the time to inform us of a little more about the setup and whats going on. We might know more about the unifi software than you do but we are also totally ignorant about your specific setup or settings so unless you tell us we cant really do much. I mean you dont even tell us if you stopped and started the docker again or anything so we are totally blind as to what step/stage you are at along with anything that might be different to the rest of us.

P

36 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

I mean we are pretty helpful on this thread I feel, but you do actually have to take the time to inform us of a little more about the setup and whats going on. We might know more about the unifi software than you do but we are also totally ignorant about your specific setup or settings so unless you tell us we cant really do much. I mean you dont even tell us if you stopped and started the docker again or anything so we are totally blind as to what step/stage you are at along with anything that might be different to the rest of us.

P

Hi Peteasking,

Thank you for your reply, sorry for not providing much information.

It's just that I never had an issue to log into the unifi controller, it started a couple of days ago after the latest update I guess.

System information: Unraid 6.9.2

Docker Unifi controller in bridge with standard settings, latest

Domain name: unifi.mdeneve.be 

nginxproxymanager (others domains, for example nextcloud, are running) 

I'll include the log files from server and mongodb....there are some errors....

Steps that I already did:

- restarting the container

- reinstalled docker unifi controller

- I already took a backup when it wasn't working, restore appdata is not an option

Thank you in advance for having a look. Appreciate the work you guys do.

Ritmjunk

mongod.log server.log

Edited by Ritmjunk

Hi, if I may request the benefit of group wisdom, as a new UniFi user, who's just getting started with a budget setup to test the waters - which version/tag would you recommend when setting up a new network consisting of a USG and 2 x AC LR Access Points?

I'm afraid I'm currently bereft of existing knowledge on the subject... does the USG even support the 6.x version of the app, or am I restricted to the 5.9.x version? TIA

23 minutes ago, flexage said:

which version/tag would you recommend when setting up a new network consisting of a USG and 2 x AC LR Access Points?

This sums it up nicely for the moment. I'm still running 5.14 because I don't have any wifi6 equipment yet.

On 10/6/2021 at 4:20 PM, PeteAsking said:

5.14.23-ls76 is still in my opinion the absolute best version and only issue with it is the wifi6 devices that have come out from unifi that require a later version than the 5.14 series one. Literally that version is unbreakable in my opinion.

28 minutes ago, flexage said:

does the USG even support the 6.x version of the app, or am I restricted to the 5.9.x version? TIA

No clue, I only run wifi stuff.

On 10/11/2021 at 9:40 PM, flexage said:

Hi, if I may request the benefit of group wisdom, as a new UniFi user, who's just getting started with a budget setup to test the waters - which version/tag would you recommend when setting up a new network consisting of a USG and 2 x AC LR Access Points?

I'm afraid I'm currently bereft of existing knowledge on the subject... does the USG even support the 6.x version of the app, or am I restricted to the 5.9.x version? TIA

FWIW I have this same setup and am running the latest v6.4.54. Note however, that the front page on this version is pretty useless for the USG now, as I have a 500mbps internet connection, which is too fast for deep packet inspection to work without causing a bottleneck, and the front page now shows DPI info rather than current bandwidth usage. It can't currently be changed, either, so it just sits there being useless. Curiously, the Android app still shows bandwidth, so I now have to use that to see if something is eating my bandwidth.

So, up until recently, 6 was fine. But if you have a fast internet connection and want useful info on the front screen, then stick with the version previous to v6.4.54, as it has bandwidth rather than DPI on the dashboard. Don't go any further back than that, though, as they start to get real flaky.

As it's a new setup, I'd prob go to 6, as you're going to have to jump to that version sooner or later anyway, but the version recommended by JonathanM is perfectly fine, too.

EDIT: I later found out that traffic analysis doesn't negatively effect bandwidth on my connection, so do ignore any above advice not to enable it.

Edited by jademonkee
Correcting incorrect info
13 hours ago, Ritmjunk said:

Hi Peteasking,

Thank you for your reply, sorry for not providing much information.

It's just that I never had an issue to log into the unifi controller, it started a couple of days ago after the latest update I guess.

System information: Unraid 6.9.2

Docker Unifi controller in bridge with standard settings, latest

Domain name: unifi.mdeneve.be 

nginxproxymanager (others domains, for example nextcloud, are running) 

I'll include the log files from server and mongodb....there are some errors....

Steps that I already did:

- restarting the container

- reinstalled docker unifi controller

- I already took a backup when it wasn't working, restore appdata is not an option

Thank you in advance for having a look. Appreciate the work you guys do.

Ritmjunk

mongod.log 1.38 MB · 0 downloads server.log 4.27 MB · 0 downloads

I found the solution myself. I think the mongodb was totally screwed up....from what I understand from the logs.

- tried to repair the database without luck

Steps to the solution:

- stopped the container

- copied unify-controller folder from appdata (there's a folder with configuration backups from the unifi controller, xxxx.unf)

- removed the container

- delete unifi controller folder in appdata

- reinstalled unifi-controller docker

- access the web gui from unifi and restored from the backup file xxxx.unf

- access to the controller with no issues

Should anyone run into this issue, this solution worked for me.

Ritmjunk 

Edited by Ritmjunk
4 hours ago, jademonkee said:

FWIW I have this same setup and am running the latest v6.4.54. Note however, that the front page on this version is pretty useless for the USG now, as I have a 500mbps internet connection, which is too fast for deep packet inspection to work without causing a bottleneck, and the front page now shows DPI info rather than current bandwidth usage. It can't currently be changed, either, so it just sits there being useless. Curiously, the Android app still shows bandwidth, so I now have to use that to see if something is eating my bandwidth.

So, up until recently, 6 was fine. But if you have a fast internet connection and want useful info on the front screen, then stick with the version previous to v6.4.54, as it has bandwidth rather than DPI on the dashboard. Don't go any further back than that, though, as they start to get real flaky.

As it's a new setup, I'd prob go to 6, as you're going to have to jump to that version sooner or later anyway, but the version recommended by JonathanM is perfectly fine, too.

Thanks for the good info my dude, reassuring to know that it works with the hardware, I have just had a gigabit line switched on - so will be keeping DPI disabled (I had gleaned enough to know the usg wasn't beefy enough to handle this).

Will give the 6.x version a go, since this is a fresh network I can experiment a bit without much consequence.

Thanks for the tip around the current bandwidth and the android app, very useful stuff to know.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, flexage said:

Thanks for the good info my dude, reassuring to know that it works with the hardware, I have just had a gigabit line switched on - so will be keeping DPI disabled (I had gleaned enough to know the usg wasn't beefy enough to handle this).

Will give the 6.x version a go, since this is a fresh network I can experiment a bit without much consequence.

Thanks for the tip around the current bandwidth and the android app, very useful stuff to know.

One thing I should probably also mention is to make sure that you don't use the (default) 'latest' tag in the docker image, but instead explicitly state a version (even if it's the latest one). That way you can check the Unifi forums (or here) to see if there's any bugs in a new version before upgrading to it, but still receive updates to the Docker image itself.

As such, for the current latest version use this tag in the Docker 'Repository' value on the 'edit' page:

linuxserver/unifi-controller:version-6.4.54

If you have already installed the Docker using the 'latest' tag, don't fret: just change the 'repository' value to the above, and you'll be fine. Note that if you have a 'latest' tag, you shouldn't try and downgrade to an earlier version: you're best off nuking the install and starting from scratch if you want to downgrade (just coz configs often change between versions).

Info on tags here:

https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/unifi-controller/tags

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, jademonkee said:

One thing I should probably also mention is to make sure that you don't use the (default) 'latest' tag in the docker image, but instead explicitly state a version (even if it's the latest one). 

Thanks man, I've installed using the version tag as you suggested 👍🏻

Much appreciated

10 hours ago, jademonkee said:

FWIW I have this same setup and am running the latest v6.4.54. Note however, that the front page on this version is pretty useless for the USG now, as I have a 500mbps internet connection,

Huh I have thanksgiving and everyone seems to fix their problems in this thread without me. Guess I should do that more often.

Regards to @jademonkee - not suggesting you dont know what you are doing but when you enable DPI what speeds do you get (and can you confirm QOS(smartqueues) is off, IDS/IPS is off and hardware offload is enabled)? Because other people get good speeds even with only dpi on. Just asking.

Edited by PeteAsking
14 hours ago, PeteAsking said:

Huh I have thanksgiving and everyone seems to fix their problems in this thread without me. Guess I should do that more often.

Regards to @jademonkee - not suggesting you dont know what you are doing but when you enable DPI what speeds do you get (and can you confirm QOS(smartqueues) is off, IDS/IPS is off and hardware offload is enabled)? Because other people get good speeds even with only dpi on. Just asking.

To be honest, it wasn't a particularly rigorous test...

I turned it on, and set a Linux ISO to download over Usenet. It was about half the usual speed (~20MB/s vs ~40MB/s). By the time I'd turned it back on, that download had finished. So I grabbed a different ISO and tried that and it was fast again. I took it that, as I'd previously disabled it, this must be why.

HOWEVER, sometimes different downloads connect to different (slower) Usenet servers, so it's not unusual for my downloads to occasionally be significantly slower.

I shall try it again today to see if it does really impact me as much as I thought.

To answer your Qs:

QoS is off

Threat management/IDS/IPS is off

Hardware offloading is enabled (as is 'Hardware offload scheduler' whatever that is)

UPDATE: I've enabled Traffic Identification and this time it didn't negatively affect my downloads. Last time must have been a coincidence.

Thanks for the headsup!

Edited by jademonkee
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, jademonkee said:

To be honest, it wasn't a particularly rigorous test...

I turned it on, and set a Linux ISO to download over Usenet. It was about half the usual speed (~20MB/s vs ~40MB/s). By the time I'd turned it back on, that download had finished. So I grabbed a different ISO and tried that and it was fast again. I took it that, as I'd previously disabled it, this must be why.

HOWEVER, sometimes different downloads connect to different (slower) Usenet servers, so it's not unusual for my downloads to occasionally be significantly slower.

I shall try it again today to see if it does really impact me as much as I thought.

To answer your Qs:

QoS is off

Threat management/IDS/IPS is off

Hardware offloading is enabled (as is 'Hardware offload scheduler' whatever that is)

UPDATE: I've enabled Traffic Identification and this time it didn't negatively affect my downloads. Last time must have been a coincidence.

Thanks for the headsup!

Downloading Linux Iso's from Usenet is a noble pastime 👌🏻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1