[Support] Linuxserver.io - Unifi-Controller

16 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/unifi-controller/tags

You can just copy/paste the tag numbers.

Thank you!

I see multiple tags for 7.1.66.  Am I correct to assume that the tags without the -ls### would check for updates?  So if I just want to stay on a specific version, I would use linuxserver/unifi-controller:7.1.66-ls157 instead of linuxserver/unifi-controller:7.1.66?

Just now, mifronte said:

Thank you!

I see multiple tags for 7.1.66.  Am I correct to assume that the tags without the -ls### would check for updates?  So if I just want to stay on a specific version, I would use linuxserver/unifi-controller:7.1.66-ls157 instead of linuxserver/unifi-controller:7.1.66?

Right. I believe it will only install updates for that version number though.

Successfully upgraded Unifi Controller from 5.14.23-ls76 to 7.1.66 by changing the repository field to linuxserver/unifi-controller:7.1.66.

All six sites with Unifi AP AC Pro and Lite  devices are now running firmware 6.0.15 (upgraded from 4.0.54) prior to upgrading the controller software to 7.1.66.  Looks like everything is running smoothly, let's hope things remain stable.  If so, I should be set for another 3 years🤞

Not a big fan of the screen real estate waste of the new GUI.  I prefer the more condense view so I can display more columns without having to scroll horizontally.  Another peeve is now it is harder to determine which site I am looking at since the site name is no longer displayed.

Thanks for all the help.

Edited by mifronte
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, mifronte said:

Successfully upgraded Unifi Controller from 5.14.23-ls76 to 7.1.66 by changing the repository field to linuxserver/unifi-controller:7.1.66.

All six sites with Unifi AP AC Pro and Lite  devices are now running firmware 6.0.15 (upgraded from 4.0.54) prior to upgrading the controller software to 7.1.66.  Looks like everything is running smoothly, let's hope things remain stable.  If so, I should be set for another 3 years🤞

Not a big fan of the screen real estate waste of the new GUI.  I prefer the more condense view so I can display more columns without having to scroll horizontally.  Another peeve is now it is harder to determine which site I am looking at since the site name is no longer displayed.

Thanks for all the help.

Yeah and the graphs are real pretty. Too bad they don’t include a timeline so they would actually be useful. 😏😁

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2022 at 5:28 AM, jademonkee said:

FYI just upgraded to v7.1.68 as it didn't seem to have many changes. No issues upgrading. Will report back if anything goes haywire.

Same just changed my tag now to 7.1.68 and also no issues. Seems like unifi is clear sailing these days...

I did notice there is now a firmware update for my pros but havent done that yet. However it seems like all the releases of late have been super safe and havent heard of anyone complaining. When I think back to the old version, and now to this new version that we all had to progress to, I do struggle to think of any real benefit. The old system seemed to work fine and have the same sort of options. The only clear benefit is the later versions support their newer AP's. Unsure why we had to all move to the new version though to be honest. I dont think anyone had a problem with how the old versions looked or worked.

I guess what I am asking is, did we actually win or gain anything here or what was the reason Unifi wanted to redesign everything? For us or them?

Edited by PeteAsking
14 hours ago, PeteAsking said:

I guess what I am asking is, did we actually win or gain anything here or what was the reason Unifi wanted to redesign everything? For us or them?

I fear that in the future they'll neuter the ability to run the app from Docker to force us to buy their hardware (Cloudkey or UDM).

EDIT: especially with this in the release notes for 7.2.91:

Remove Override Inform Host field for cloud console.

Edited by jademonkee
Added extra info
On 7/29/2022 at 12:49 AM, jademonkee said:

I fear that in the future they'll neuter the ability to run the app from Docker to force us to buy their hardware (Cloudkey or UDM).

Ubiquiti has been hinting at that for a while and it has been mentioned as a possibility by users in the Ubiquiti forums.  I think it is just a matter of time.  I guess I will stay on controller version 7.1.66 for a while and see where things go.

Even staying on an older version of the controller may not be a long-term solution if you want to upgrade hardware in the future.  At some point, new hardware and even firmware for existing hardware may require a version of the controller that does not support Docker. 

• Like 1

I noticed recently that this unifi-controller docker is filling up my appdata folder (and thus my cache drive) with seemingly garbage 100MB log files. I basically have the same issue that someone described here:

Does someone have a fix on how to stop this from occuring? Was this a bug re-introduced in a recent docker update?

D

Hi everybody!

I have a bit weird trouble with unifi-controller docker app.

Every time I update an app or restart it, I need physically reattach it (by unplugging and plugging back eth wire).

If I don't do this co unifi-controller still sees AP (Unifi AP AC LR) but all the time it stays in "Adopting" mode.

Any ideas on what's wrong in the setup and there I should look to fix?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok my raid is completely maxed out. This docker container is taking up 5.1 TB of space and I don't know how to get rid of it. Because my drives are maxed out this docker container won't load anymore and I get a 404 error so I cannot make any changes like “override inform host” as someone suggested above. How do I free up space in this docker container?

24 minutes ago, BrunoVic said:

Ok my raid is completely maxed out. This docker container is taking up 5.1 TB of space and I don't know how to get rid of it. Because my drives are maxed out this docker container won't load anymore and I get a 404 error so I cannot make any changes like “override inform host” as someone suggested above. How do I free up space in this docker container?

Are you potentially having the same issue I did here? Where 100MB wiredtiger log files just continue to accumulate and fill it all up? I'd recommend you dig through the appdata folder and see if you see them.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/78060-support-linuxserverio-unifi-controller/?do=findComment&comment=1154741

I had to blow away my entire container, deleted the appdata folder, reinstall it, and then restore from an old backup to get it working again.

If you are indeed having the same issue, I'd be really curious to hear from others on why this seems to suddenly happen to people. It's literally a drive and server killer.

Edited by Magic815
1 hour ago, Magic815 said:

Are you potentially having the same issue I did here? Where 100MB wiredtiger log files just continue to accumulate and fill it all up? I'd recommend you dig through the appdata folder and see if you see them.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/78060-support-linuxserverio-unifi-controller/?do=findComment&comment=1154741

I had to blow away my entire container, deleted the appdata folder, reinstall it, and then restore from an old backup to get it working again.

If you are indeed having the same issue, I'd be really curious to hear from others on why this seems to suddenly happen to people. It's literally a drive and server killer.

Yes I see those in the data folder under unifi. Can I just delete those files? How can I back things up?

Hi,

I'm trying to get my unraid up and running. Doing so I'm having trouble with the unifi-controller (docker container). I do have a backup of the 'old' controller (ubuntu-server) and wanted to import that to the unifi-controller running at the unraid-server.

It seems that there is no way I do get access to the backup-file. I do have copies of this file at the boot-device, smb-share, appdata/unifi-controller and /tmp of the unraid-server. No way to select it when setting up the unifi-controller.

Used 'docker cp...' to copy the file inside the container. No errors were shown but there is also no file shown while trying to select the backup-file to restore it.

What is it that I'm missing or doing wrong? Where is it, that the backup-file has to go, to be selectable? Do I have to change permissions of the file?

Kind regards,

Tom

1 hour ago, DerTom said:

Hi,

I'm trying to get my unraid up and running. Doing so I'm having trouble with the unifi-controller (docker container). I do have a backup of the 'old' controller (ubuntu-server) and wanted to import that to the unifi-controller running at the unraid-server.

It seems that there is no way I do get access to the backup-file. I do have copies of this file at the boot-device, smb-share, appdata/unifi-controller and /tmp of the unraid-server. No way to select it when setting up the unifi-controller.

Used 'docker cp...' to copy the file inside the container. No errors were shown but there is also no file shown while trying to select the backup-file to restore it.

What is it that I'm missing or doing wrong? Where is it, that the backup-file has to go, to be selectable? Do I have to change permissions of the file?

Kind regards,

Tom

Found magic... just remember which PC you're working at...:D

Now it's getting the devices adopted.

• 2 weeks later...