[Support] Linuxserver.io - Unifi-Controller

19 hours ago, daniel187 said:

Getting "unifi a java exception has occurred java virtual machine" on latest update. Downgraded to last and all good.

Looks like another release was just pushed JUST a few minutes ago (a few minutes after I updated and saw this error as well) and seems to have resolved it.

Any idea how to fix this?  Just updated my Unifi Controller docker and now get this error in the log file:

Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: com/ubnt/ace/Launcher has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 55.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:756)
        at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:473)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:74)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:369)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:363)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:362)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:418)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:352)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:351)
        at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(LauncherHelper.java:601)

My "Docker Hub URL" was set to:  https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/unifi-controller/

11 minutes ago, Jig said:

Any idea how to fix this?  Just updated my Unifi Controller docker and now get this error in the log file:

Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: com/ubnt/ace/Launcher has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 55.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:756)
        at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:473)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:74)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:369)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:363)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:362)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:418)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:352)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:351)
        at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(LauncherHelper.java:601)
11 minutes ago, Jig said:

My "Docker Hub URL" was set to:  https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/unifi-controller/

Ok "fixed" this by deleting the Docker app and reinstalling it.

Not sure if anyone has updated already but looks like the new version tag 7.3.76 has had many changes and you should be taking a backup before upgrading. The 7.2.95 version is excellent and if you are in production I dont see any reason to upgrade from probably the most stable release in ages. It is almost certain that some of the "improvements" are going to be rolled back and there are already 13 pages of comments on the unifi forum for this release.

Since I have no interest in being Unifis beta tester I will simply wait for the next version where no doubt many of the issues will be fixed and not have to deal with wifi issues for 3 weeks while they silently sort out the problems.

TLDR Production = 7.2.95 tag ; alpha testers = 7.3.76 tag and dont tell us on the forum your docker no longer runs since updating to the latest version. Reinstall and reload your config from backup if that happens to you like the rest of us or take a copy of your docker when its turned off etc.

Till next month.

• Thanks 3

On 12/1/2022 at 9:00 AM, nau said:

after update my unifi controller stopped worked due Jawa.

Changed both MEM_LIMIT: and MEM_STARTUP: to default and container started sucessfully.

Same. Looking at the logs I saw:

Invalid maximum heap size: -Xmx2048MM
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

Notice the doubled up "MM" at the end of the heap size. Changing my environment variable to not specify "M" let it fire right up again.

environment
    - MEM_LIMIT=2048M

needs to become

environment
    - MEM_LIMIT=2048

• Like 1

Is anybody else having issues logging into their controller after the last two updates? It will not accept my unifi credentials. They work everywhere else in the Unifi universe.

Edit. Deleted old install, reinstalled, restored from a previous backup. Back up and running now. Weird.

Edited by mfarrar
17 hours ago, klogg said:

Notice the doubled up "MM" at the end of the heap size. Changing my environment variable to not specify "M" let it fire right up again.

environment
    - MEM_LIMIT=2048M

needs to become

environment
    - MEM_LIMIT=2048

Had the same issue, this solution works for me also.  

Thank you for the information!

Edited by Ritmjunk
typo
  • Thanks 1
On 12/6/2022 at 7:35 AM, klogg said:

environment
    - MEM_LIMIT=2048M

needs to become

environment
    - MEM_LIMIT=2048

This fixed the java error for me, thank you.

• Thanks 1

Hi All!

Amazing job linuxserver.io!  🙏

Apologize the question i'm a newbie:

Is it possible to replace my Unifi Dream Machine (192.168.1.1) with this Container and an unifi switch? (i got the container fever!)

How do I map the WAN ETH cable to the container WAN?

And then how do I then connect the Unraid server (192.168.1.3) to the Unifi container (192.168.1.1)?

Thank you so much 🙏

John

Edited by netfox
4 hours ago, netfox said:

Is it possible to replace my Unifi Dream Machine (192.168.1.1) with this Container and an unifi switch? (i have the container fever)

No.  This container is just for the controller software for configuring Unifi devices and networks.  It does not replace a router/firewall. 

I have an all Unifi environment with a Unifi USG Router/Firewall, two Unifi switches and five Unifi access points.  All show up in this instance of the controller running as a Docker container.  However, if you have no Unifi router, it will just not show up in the controller but you can still manage the UnifI switches and access points if you have them.

One of the things I do not like about the Dream Machine is that it must be managed by its built-in controller.  It cannot be adopted into another instance of the Controller (including this docker container).

4 hours ago, netfox said:

How do I map the WAN ETH cable to the container WAN?

You don't.  This is not router/firewall software like pfSense.  It is just a controller for Unifi devices.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I blindly (stupidly) clicked update on this without checking this forum.  They have all been so good for years.

This time though, nothing there, and no adopting of anything.  No restore option to restore.  

Setting a previous version then through an erro saying cant upgrade from 7.3.76 so I guess somehting happened on it.

I am restoring my appdata - but back to 12/12 unfortunately......  Have to look into individual container backup/restores going forward.

31 minutes ago, vw-kombi said:

I blindly (stupidly) clicked update on this without checking this forum.  They have all been so good for years.

This time though, nothing there, and no adopting of anything.  No restore option to restore.  

Setting a previous version then through an erro saying cant upgrade from 7.3.76 so I guess somehting happened on it.

I am restoring my appdata - but back to 12/12 unfortunately......  Have to look into individual container backup/restores going forward.

Further to this, after a restore to 12/12 appdata - my version I am using seems to be 7.3.76 anyway.  It is only what appeared today for install that killed it.  But alas something is not quite right as the USG goes through its adopt cycle, then shows as offline.  All other devices are all good.  

11 minutes ago, vw-kombi said:

Further to this, after a restore to 12/12 appdata - my version I am using seems to be 7.3.76 anyway.  It is only what appeared today for install that killed it.  But alas something is not quite right as the USG goes through its adopt cycle, then shows as offline.  All other devices are all good.  

Further and further to this - 

7.3.76-ls173 is the overnight one that lost all config and nothing showing as adpoted at all - and never seems too.

Rolled back to 7.3.76-ls172 - all working but USG went offline and stayed like that.

Rolled back to 7.3.76-ls171 - and all is happy again.........  - leaving that in the pull request now!!!!!!

Now to re-do a load of FW rules !!!!!

11 minutes ago, vw-kombi said:

Further and further to this - 

7.3.76-ls173 is the overnight one that lost all config and nothing showing as adpoted at all - and never seems too.

Rolled back to 7.3.76-ls172 - all working but USG went offline and stayed like that.

Rolled back to 7.3.76-ls171 - and all is happy again.........  - leaving that in the pull request now!!!!!!

Now to re-do a load of FW rules !!!!!

Restored config from yesterday - no need to re-do the rules.  I am all working again.

10 minutes ago, vw-kombi said:

Restored config from yesterday - no need to re-do the rules.  I am all working again.

Going forward I would advise that you add a tag rather than using "latest" that way you won't have to worry about this happening again. It's a common problem with Unifi updates and sometimes not so easily resolved.

Edit: Disregard. I see in your previous post that you already have.😄

Edited by wgstarks

We need to ban the latest tag or put a disclaimer or something on it to save people from themselves. 'Latest' causes considerable issues for anyone using it and the thread is filled with people asking questions that none of us can really troubleshoot and answer because unifi provide the image, and any issues should really be directed to unifi. When a database doesnt upgrade or devices dont get adopted with a new release, we cant really do all that much about it.

Edited by PeteAsking