[Support] Linuxserver.io - Unifi-Controller

Like someone mentioned there seems to be a weird logging issue.

I have backed up my config from my UDM pro, installed the Docker image but then after restoring the backup I can no longer log in.

"Invalid username and pass". I am using the exact local user and pass that my UDM Pro is using

I deleted and recreated the container few times.

Not sure what the issue is.

Can anyone point me to what am I doing wrong?

Thank you

Edited by rainfactor
  • 2 months later...

UniFi Network Application 7.3.83 has received multiple patches over the last 3 months and should be considered the "best" latest version for anyone who does not require a legacy version such as 5.14.23-ls76 or 6.5.x for older hardware.

So if you are on tag 7.2.95 you could upgrade to this 7.3.83 tag safely I imagine.

Current situation:

Legacy systems: 5.14.23-ls76 or 6.5.55 versions seem fine. (AKA "old old old stable" or "old old stable").

Wifi6/New Deployments: 7.2.95 or 7.3.83 tags are fine. (AKA "old stable" or "stable").

Do not use tag: "latest" unless you are an alpha tester who fixes their own problems.

Posting this info because of the upcoming next release (7.4.x) AKA "alpha"

Kind regards
Pete

• Like 5
11 hours ago, PeteAsking said:

UniFi Network Application 7.3.83 has received multiple patches over the last 3 months and should be considered the "best" latest version for anyone who does not require a legacy version such as 5.14.23-ls76 or 6.5.x for older hardware.

I've been on this for a week or 2, mostly because patch notes said it was supposed to help some L3 switch issues I was seeing (which did improve).
Have had no issues so far

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, a_n_d_y said:

I went from 5.14.23 to 7.1.68 a while back and only had to make some adjustments to the AP Groups, so I can confirm that worked in my situation.

I've upgraded to 7.3.83 since then.

Hope that helps.

It should be safe but some old devices could stop working if you have any in your environment. There have been many posts about various old devices in this thread and how they have issues. You should review that unless all your devices are on the newer side. 

8 hours ago, a_n_d_y said:

I went from 5.14.23 to 7.1.68 a while back and only had to make some adjustments to the AP Groups, so I can confirm that worked in my situation.

I've upgraded to 7.3.83 since then.

Hope that helps.

Can you post yr equipment if old and ‘unsupported’ that works.

• 3 weeks later...

7.4.156 was released to official 14 hours ago. I have an upgrade to this version scheduled for 13/06/2023 (13 days time - will post an update 48h later) if anyone is wanting to wait along for the test at this time where I will check the forums for issues and then update if it seems all clear.

Otherwise if you choose to update then you are on your own and just tell us what happened.

Kind regards

Pete

Edited by PeteAsking
  • Thanks 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Im not able to recommend 7.4.156 for business use. I already had some issues, nothing deal breaking but mostly vlan issues that the upgrade seemed to alter settings around and I had some trouble setting back. Also seems like how its done has changed slightly. I would expect some issues in more complex environments, and mine is quite simple just a handful of vlans that run through an opnsense firewall.

I would guess for business you should review the new features and see if there is anything you have to have, and then plan correctly if you update. If you dont need anything then 7.3.83 is still very capable and the last good version without issues.

For home users you can go ahead and update to 7.4.156 most likely but take a backup of the docker first so you can just stop it and paste back the old copy if something goes wrong. Its hard to put an exact finger on it but this version seems either a little rushed or has a lot of changes. I imagine the version after this one will be better if they just do bugfixes (this is a guess I have no actual idea).

Up to you if you update, but I personally would leave this as a home update only and thats what I intend to do myself. Certainly at the very lease do not update without a full backup that you know you can roll back to. If you upgrade and all is fine then it should be no issue once you get past that so I expect success upgrades to cause little to no problem after the updates done. If you are unlucky might be a bit of fiddling needing after to get things back to normal.

Good luck :)

• Thanks 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 3:30 PM, PeteAsking said:

Just to reiterate. If you run tag: latest you will 100% have an issue at some point. Just use the tag of the latest version (by specifying the number) if you want the latest version. You are then in control as to when you move to the next version. No surprises and if people are complaining you can wait it out.

How do you check / change the tag you're using without uninstalling / reinstalling from CA?  Or is that the recommended method?

11 minutes ago, JimmyOdcu said:

How do you check / change the tag you're using without uninstalling / reinstalling from CA?  Or is that the recommended method?

You can check what tag you are using by going to the docker tab and clicking on the name of the docker. The tag will be shown on the repository field.

IMG_2473.jpeg.3ce6579203ea76284c73d45ed2df01b6.jpeg

If you change the tag the associated version will install when you click “apply”.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, vw-kombi said:

I have a UAP-AP-LITE and UAP-AP-LR - both version 2.

I also have a USG router.

They dont make it easy to find out where I can upgrade too.

Can anyone on similar hardware let me know what is safe to use.

I think you are supposed to be on 5.14.23-ls76. Hopefully someone else can confirm. 

i thought if you had a usg router you didnt use this docker though. Could be wrong as I dont own one. 

Edited by PeteAsking

Hhmm.  Been using this docker forever.  Upgraded loads of times with no issues until the last time late last year when I found out about all this support stuff.  I’m on 7.3.76…… been on it for a while.  Only thing I really want ant is cos I have to flip to the old interface to ‘forget’ dhcp reservations so ip addresses can be reused.

On 7/13/2023 at 10:16 PM, PeteAsking said:

i thought if you had a usg router you didnt use this docker though

With the USG, the controller needs to run somewhere (like this docker container) as it is not built in..  The Dream Router has the controller built in and cannot be controlled by an external controller.

• Like 1
On 7/14/2023 at 10:24 AM, vw-kombi said:

I have a UAP-AP-LITE and UAP-AP-LR - both version 2.

I also have a USG router.

They dont make it easy to find out where I can upgrade too.

Can anyone on similar hardware let me know what is safe to use.

Just posting that yesterday I went up to 7.3.83 tag.  No issue in the upgrade and I messged around with a few settings and all is working fine.  Each update on the AP's throws an error about an uplink cant be removed or something like that - I dont have any uplinks so now sure what it is meaning.  Everything is working to date........

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible within this docker container to run early access versions like 7.5.169?

I have an open ticket about the topolgy of my network because it shows my switch is uplinked from an AP, which it is clearly not.

They have suggested to run the early access version, so just asking if its possible, if not, all good

Cheers