[Support] Linuxserver.io - Unifi-Controller

I switched back to the 5.9 version from 5.10 not even because of the above error i encountered, also because the already adopted AP AC Pro in 5.10 lost randomly the adoption and because of this 

I also had to restore a backup of the Unifi appdata. Rewerting back to 5.9 wasn't possible. After that the AP won`t adopt. I had to remove it from the controller and had to reset it to default via ssh and trigger a new adoption. Before that I switched to "host" and after back to "bridge". Everything is working fine now. 👍

So, I'm new to this docker.  I've been using the controller through a Windows 10 VM... but I love the idea of having it as a docker instead.  

As someone else suggested, the only way I could get the controller to adopt my AP's (they were in the adopting/disconnecting loop) was to switch it from bridge to host... which then adopted them immediately, then put it back in bridge mode (the docker that is).

What's the biggest differences between bridge and host?  What harm would it cause if I left it in host mode?

Also, and perhaps it has nothing to do with the docker, but figured I'd ask anyways.  I'm having issues with just this docker's web gui being accessible when using a subdomain with port forwarding on my router.  

If I type in my static ip:randomport (I've assigned this port on my router to forward to the unraid server's ip:unifi web gui port... it loads the web gui no issue, but when I set up a sub domain on godaddy (with https) to forward to my static ip:randomport... it says it can not connect.  What would cause it to be accessible when typing in my static IP, but when I use a sub domain to forward to it, it's no longer accessible?

I have a lot of subdomains being forwarded to different dockers on my unraid server, and they have no issue.  I only have an issue when I try to access unifi via my sub domain forwarding.

• Like 1

Congrats on moving forward with this new container and giving everyone what they wanted whether they wanted to stay on older versions or leap ahead to current released versions.  I've already moved on to other container providers, but happy to see you guys take critique and release a better product that should please everyone.

A security question: should we remove UDP 10001 (which is used for AP discovery) if we're not planning on adding new APs, with or without the app's help. 

I have no idea if this port is necessary for UniFI or if it was "fixed" by Ubiquiti, but there was a ruckus in the last few weeks about having this port exposed and I never found an answer or solution or how I should setup my network.

45 minutes ago, FattyMoBookyButt said:

A security question: should we remove UDP 10001 (which is used for AP discovery) if we're not planning on adding new APs, with or without the app's help. 

I have no idea if this port is necessary for UniFI or if it was "fixed" by Ubiquiti, but there was a ruckus in the last few weeks about having this port exposed and I never found an answer or solution or how I should setup my network.

As I understood it, it was the devices that was exploited, so doesn't matter what you set in the unifi controller. 

Hello everybody!

Yesterday I did the latest update for the Unifi Controller according to the instructions described here. Through the updates, my USG3P was patched to the current firmware.

Since then, the port forwardings no longer seem to work. Two ports (80 and 443) were forwarded to a letsencrypt docker responsible for a Nextcloud container. The whole thing went wonderfully until yesterday's update.

According to CLI and WebGUI, all rules are in place, but the cloud is beyond reach. Also other port forwardings to a test network and a Minecraft server do not work. Thus, I exclude a mistake in the Docker containers.

Does anyone have a similar or even the same problem and a solution for it?

The whole thing runs on the current Relase version of Unraid (6.6.6).

Grettings

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

Edited by Gorosch
2 hours ago, Gorosch said:

Hello everybody!

Yesterday I did the latest update for the Unifi Controller according to the instructions described here. Through the updates, my USG3P was patched to the current firmware.

Since then, the port forwardings no longer seem to work. Two ports (80 and 443) were forwarded to a letsencrypt docker responsible for a Nextcloud container. The whole thing went wonderfully until yesterday's update.

According to CLI and WebGUI, all rules are in place, but the cloud is beyond reach. Also other port forwardings to a test network and a Minecraft server do not work. Thus, I exclude a mistake in the Docker containers.

Does anyone have a similar or even the same problem and a solution for it?

The whole thing runs on the current Relase version of Unraid (6.6.6).

Grettings

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

I would seek support from unifi directly. No one within the team will be able to test as we don't have any USG's.

Huge thanks to CHBMB, this in a nice upgrade to the container.  No issues migrating from unifi:unstable > unifi-controller:5.9 > unifi-controller:latest
Appreciated, but I didn't work on the container. It was thelamer.

I just did the template and the support posts.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

General question for this container.

Will you be posting a notify in this thread or in the 1st post signifying which actual version number will be installed with the specific tags, or is that going to be on us to go research it?

For example, right now LTS is 5.6.40, which is running nicely for my needs right now. When that tag migrates, will we be alerted somewhere in this thread?

26 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

General question for this container.

Will you be posting a notify in this thread or in the 1st post signifying which actual version number will be installed with the specific tags, or is that going to be on us to go research it?

For example, right now LTS is 5.6.40, which is running nicely for my needs right now. When that tag migrates, will we be alerted somewhere in this thread?

I don't think you have to worry about which version it is, as there will be a hundred posts asking when our image will get updated to it 😆

I don't think we have any intention to post specific versions here. I do think the specific version will be available on the tag page on dockerhub. 

The new buildsystem will build the new version when it's available and (as far as I know) tag the specific version. 

13 minutes ago, r6xual said:

This is going to sound completely ridiculous, but i cant even seem to find any unifi containers in the app search in unraid. I even search for apps by linuxserver and see nothing relating to unifi. What might I be doing wrong?

If you select the “New Apps” category you don't even need to search. It’s right in the middle.

SafariScreenSnapz156.thumb.jpg.dc43c50b2b515aeedb38d937df6d4d47.jpg

10 minutes ago, r6xual said:

I did not know you could / needed to update the plugin. Thank you thank you!

IMO, all plugins should be kept up to date (there's the AutoUpdate plugin to help you with this).

But, even if you choose not to do that, now that you're on a current version of CA (btw, the issue was that you're version was looking at a different URL for how to populate the apps), you will know whenever you go into the apps tab if it needs an update or not.

Please ignore my initial message or learn from this ....

Error message below is for linuxserver unifi container (linuxserver/unifi:unstable) and not the linuxserve unifi-controller container (linuxserver/unifi-controller:latest).

Migrating from unifi docker to unifi-controller docker was easy:

1. within the old controller Settings->Maintenance->Download backup

2. shutdown linuxserver/unifi:unstable

3. install the linuxserver/unifi-controller:5.9

4. after launching the new container restore from backup

5. stop container and change from linuxserver/unifi-controller:5.9 to linuxserver/unifi-controller:latest

6. done + facepalm!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Swiched from unstable to latest with error message:

"We do not support upgrading from 5.9.29."

Screen Shot 2019-02-23 at 4.00.50 PM.png

Edited by soana
Error referenced unifi container not unifi-controller container

So I am a brand new Unifi user, only receiving my AP's this week, very excited. Fresh install of this container and selected Latest so it's 5.10.17. Unboxed my new AC Pro and Lite but neither will complete the firmware update and adoption, been at this for a couple of days now! From what I've read people are recommending putting the docker into host mode from bridge during adoption, done this. Also factory reset my AP's a few times by holding in the reset for 10 seconds. SSH to the AP and ran the set-inform command..... still stuck in 'Adoption Failed (update required)' mode... haven't even bother to unbox the USG or PoE switch if this is how hard getting started is....

When I run set-inform on the AP I get this following msg;

Adoption request sent to 'http://192.168.1.5:8080/inform'.

1. please adopt it on the controller

2. issue the set-inform command again

3. <inform_url> will be saved after device is successfully managed

As far as I know, I can't do anything on the controller end to adopt to met point 1 above? I this right or is there something I should do at the controller after running this command?

Any suggestions for where I can go from here? What can I try next to get an AP to update it's f/w and be adopted successfully? I'm seriously thinking about buying a Cloud Key but tbh, I've already sunk a fair bit into this kit to get nowhere so rather hesitant to spend more just to get something to work....

Edited by andyjayh
So I am a brand new Unifi user, only receiving my AP's this week, very excited. Fresh install of this container and selected Latest so it's 5.10.17. Unboxed my new AC Pro and Lite but neither will complete the firmware update and adoption, been at this for a couple of days now! From what I've read people are recommending putting the docker into host mode from bridge during adoption, done this. Also factory reset my AP's a few times by holding in the reset for 10 seconds. SSH to the AP and ran the set-inform command..... still stuck in 'Adoption Failed (update required)' mode... haven't even bother to unbox the USG or PoE switch if this is how hard getting started is....

3. will be saved after device is successfully managed

As far as I know, I can't do anything on the controller end to adopt to met point 1 above? I this right or is there something I should do at the controller after running this command?

Any suggestions for where I can go from here? What can I try next to get an AP to update it's f/w and be adopted successfully? I'm seriously thinking about buying a Cloud Key but tbh, I've already sunk a fair bit into this kit to get nowhere so rather hesitant to spend more just to get something to work....
Is unifi the only docker that's running on port 8080?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, FestivusOz said:

Hi team

Silly question but how do I back up my old instance of the Unifi controller before migrating. Do i do this within the controller or make a backup of my appdata foler?

Also with this new docker can i easily move to 5.9.x then back to 5.8.x if there are issues?

Cheers 

FestivusOz

You can do both appdata and backup within unifi. 

I don't think you can downgrade without also restoring a backup from the same version. 

17 hours ago, andyjayh said:

3. <inform_url> will be saved after device is successfully managed

Ok, fixed my own problem so thought I would report back in case it helps others. The issue laid with the firmware upgrade, this would not complete via the docker. I don't know if there is any communication issue with the docker itself in the upgrade prices but it was the same for both AP's and the PoE switch. I found the process for upgrading the f/w via SSH directly on the devices, as soon as this was completed the adoption process worked immediately, although I did have the docker in Host mode. Once adopted, I switched the docker back to Bridge mode and everything has been good since.

So three days of head scratching and it all came down to the f/w on the devices and the upgrade process that was causing me all the trouble. I guess most people won't come across this set of variables but as I was new to the Ubiquiti family with a fresh install and factory fresh devices, it caught me out.

1 hour ago, andyjayh said:

Ok, fixed my own problem so thought I would report back in case it helps others. The issue laid with the firmware upgrade, this would not complete via the docker. I don't know if there is any communication issue with the docker itself in the upgrade prices but it was the same for both AP's and the PoE switch. I found the process for upgrading the f/w via SSH directly on the devices, as soon as this was completed the adoption process worked immediately, although I did have the docker in Host mode. Once adopted, I switched the docker back to Bridge mode and everything has been good since.

So three days of head scratching and it all came down to the f/w on the devices and the upgrade process that was causing me all the trouble. I guess most people won't come across this set of variables but as I was new to the Ubiquiti family with a fresh install and factory fresh devices, it caught me out.

Hi,  Noticed that you have the Unifi AC Pro. Did you update to 5.10? Any Issues?  The post at the top of this page complains of adoption issues. Wondering if you have the same.