[Support] Linuxserver.io - Unifi-Controller

Big thanks as usual to the team!

For those having adoption issues, I vaguely remember having issues before about that.

In case you don't already have custom IP in controller settings, you might want to make sure that you have set the IP under settings.

I had a issue where the controller was trying to set-inform with my private docker IP (172.17..1.X) instead.

See screenshot below, checking "Override inform host with controller hostname/IP" and entering the IP of your server above that.

image.thumb.png.00cd202d1cfe106ab60271aa68e4bdd3.png

Edited by sreknob
screenshot wrong
  • Thanks 2
16 minutes ago, bonienl said:

I have Unifi running on a custom network (br1) and set a fixed IP address, never experienced disconnected or adopting devices after a Unraid upgrade.

It is working very stable for me.

I guess that's what I'm going to have to do too.  I don't like running containers in host mode unless they have dedicated IP.  It's just weird because I had zero issues for years with the old container, and immediately had issues when I switched to the new one.

Installed this few days ago, had adoption issue, switched to host mode and changed ip override and everything is working.

Only question is does this need to run on port 8080 as I already have sabnzbd on 8080. I did put 8081 in the port setting but in the logs it will still trying to connect to 8080.

For now I have moved sabnzbd to 8081.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
Hi there.

Im fairly new to unraid.

Does anyone have a link to a guide or video that might assist me in installing this??

Thanks.
Same as any other docker, once you lunch the webui it's pretty exactly the same as the windows controller.

No guide needed tbf. I am assuming you already have your access points already set up?

Yes I already have a couple of AP Pros and an 8 port POE, used to running this on a windows server.

I pasted the docker link into my sources on unraid but it doesn't generate a template etc, im assuming this isn't the correct way.

My docker experience is limited to so far just installing plex on unraid :P

Yes I already have a couple of AP Pros and an 8 port POE, used to running this on a windows server.

I pasted the docker link into my sources on unraid but it doesn't generate a template etc, im assuming this isn't the correct way.
My docker experience is limited to so far just installing plex on unraid

Download Community Applications plugin, this will add new apps Tab then you can search for any docker you want to install.

• Like 1

I also seem to have had some issues with adoption issues.

This seems to have fixed it for me.

ssh into the AP

run this command

set-inform http://ip-of-controller:8080/inform

I my case I did this

set-inform http://192.168.1.16:8880/inform

As per my system IP

The port being what "Port used for device and controller communication" is set too in my case as 8080 is already in use by another container

No other changes were made to the controller

What I am not sure is why I had to redo this

• Like 1

TLDR Version

My UniFi network became unstable a few days after updating to this container (this was likely coincidental and not related specifically to the container).  Devices which previously remained connected and were stable for over a year started entering a disconnected/adopting loop.  Running set-inform through SSH on affected devices or setting the container to host mode used to fix the problem.  Even these solutions stated failing.

The bottom line appears to be that enabling the 'Override inform host with controller hostname/IP' setting in the controller is required to prevent disconnected/loops or even to successfully adopt new devices.  This has been noted by others recently, but, I never needed this option enabled in the past and with the prior UniFi container.

Related finding:  If adding new devices with old firmware, you must upgrade the firmware on the device BEFORE attempting to adopt the device in the controller.  Even though the UniFi Contoller gives you an Adopt and Upgrade option, this will not work as the new device will get stuck in an adopting loop because of the older firmware and never get to the upgrade phase.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Gory Details

So, I have been through the wringer the last couple of weeks with the UniFi Controller docker container.  After over a year of stability and no issues through many container updates and controller versions, it all started going south on me after updating to the new container.  This could have just been coincidental timing and may have nothing to do specifically with the container.

Everything was good for a few days, but, then I started getting frequent disconnects of devices (sometimes all of them) and adoption/disconnect loops which steadily became more frequent.  Early on I could force re-adoption but, over the weekend both my access points became disconnected as well as one of my switches and nothing I did could get them readopted. Not only that but the access points were non-functional.  I lost all wireless connectivity. I was also unable to SSH into the wireless access points.  It was as if they were not even connected to the network even though the controller "saw" them and was trying to adopt them.

Running set-inform manually via SSH or setting the container to host mode used to be enough to force re-adoption of disconnected devices, but, even that was no longer possible (container had been in host mode for several days) and SSH did not work.

In desperation, I tried the following:

1 - Updated the controller to the 5.10 branch through the docker. This for some reason allowed the disconnected switch to reconnect, but the access points were still dead and constantly cycling through an adopting/disconnected loop.

2 - Restored the controller from a backup from three weeks ago. No change.

3 - Tried to roll back to 5.9.29 through the docker.  Got the message "upgrading to this version is not supported" even though it was an attempted downgrade.  The result of this was that the dead access points now showed up not as adopting/disconnected but as "managed by another device."  At this point, they began functioning again but were not manageable in the controller.  However.  In this state, I was able to "forget" them in the controller.

4 - After forgetting the access points, I was able to SSH into them again and I ran the set-inform command with the controller IP address.  The access points showed up again in the controller and were successfully adopted.

Then I got the bright idea to add another access point (a UAP-AC-IW) to the network.  I have had it sitting around since June and I knew the firmware would be horribly out of date, but, hey, I was already deep into UniFI troubleshooting so, why not?  The device showed up in the controller as "Pending Adoption (update needed)" and there was an "Adopt and Upgrade" button in the controller.  THIS IS BACKWARDS.  In the new controllers, you cannot adopt a device without first upgrading to a minimum supported firmware.  The access point was on firmware 3.7.12 and the current firmware is 4.0.21.  The new access point was stuck in an adopting/disconnect loop because it was unable to be adopted due to older firmware and the controller told it to do things in the wrong order.

I tried several methods to manually update the firmware with no luck.  Kept getting certificate errors through SSH and the Custom Upgrade function of the controller also failed as the device was "busy."

I was finally able to catch the access point in a disconnected state long enough to tell the controller to forget it.  Mostly it stayed stuck on Adopting which prevented anything from being done with the device since it was busy.

Once forgotten.  I was able to disconnect and reconnect it which made it show up again in the controller.  I manually upgraded the firmware through the Custom Upgrade function at which time an Adopt button appeared and I attempted to adopt the access point.  No joy!  It was stuck in this state for a long time.  And since it was stuck adopting (never going to a disconnected state).  There was nothing more I could do.

Since the beginning, I had never needed the option selected in the controller to "Override inform host with controller hostname/IP" but someone else mentioned they had to do that in this UniFi Controller container.  I activated that option, clicked on save and instantly the new access point was adopted.

After all of this, this is where I am now:

1 - I am running version 5.10.19 of the controller.  Not because I want to, but, because downgrading is apparently a PITA.

2 - The container is back to bridge mode and it seems all is well.

3 - Override inform host with controller hostname/IP is selected

4 - All devices (1 USG, 2 switches and 3 access points) are all connected and on the latest versions of firmware

Hopefully, stability has returned to my UniFI world and my experience (I probably made some mistakes which Ubiquiti happily let me make) will be helpful to someone else.

Edited by Hoopster

Hello All

A bit of a novice here. I tried the following:

1. Backing up appdata foler for the old Unifi Linuxserver IO docker (v5.6.40) 

2. Stopping the old docker

3. Installing this new docker v5.7.x branch (getting this error message on the splash screen)

image.thumb.png.0a7c67e601eaa7dde575f496aba5bbb8.png

4. Reinstalled new docker using LTS branch with success (config present devices adopted)

5. Retried pulling the v5.7.x branch and receivedd the same error message by editng the repository parameter in the docker

Please help me with how to upgrade to 5.7.x and above.    

Thanks 

FestivusOz

Hello all, 

A quick update on this. Since this I figured out how to get passed the above. This may help others. 

1. Skipped 5.7.x tree and went to 5.8.x

2. Rather than just changing the tag and pulling 5.8.30 I had:

a. created a backup via the Unifi controller in 5.6.40

b. created a new 5.8.x docker (with new appdata folder) in the Unraid UI

c. Walk through new docker settings in 5.8.30

d. Once in the Unifi UI reesore the backup created

3. To then move to 5.9.x just edit the docker in Unraid GUI, change the tage to "5.9" then pull updated instance  

4. Log in 

All just worked.

Edited by FestivusOz
  • Upvote 1
Hello all, 

A quick update on this. Since this I figured out how to get passed the above. This may help others. 

3. To then move to 5.9.x just edit the docker in Unraid GUI, change the tage to "5.9" then pull updated instance  
4. Log in 

All just worked.
Awesome work

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

On 3/16/2019 at 9:34 AM, FestivusOz said:

Hello all, 

4. Log in 

All just worked.

So would this work for my above question: Is their a easy way to update from LTS/5.6.40 to 5.9?

or is their a easier way to just install new container and point to current config or?

Thanks for this docker.

New to ubiquiti and trying to get this setup a fresh.

I wondered if the docker supported adding ssl certificates anywhere to get my https working with valid certs please?

Thanks in advance.
Why? Set up the docker, configure your devices and then just vpn to your network when your not on lan and use the android or ios app

I wouldn't expose it the external network any other way personally. If that's what you really need then look at cloud key?

1 hour ago, bally12345 said:

Why? Set up the docker, configure your devices and then just vpn to your network when your not on lan and use the android or ios app emoji106.png

I wouldn't expose it the external network any other way personally. If that's what you really need then look at cloud key?

Thanks for the response.

I create LE Certs for my key LAN machines so I have https without self signed certs.

I've created the certs but not sure where to put them so the docker uses them instead of its own.

Not looking to expose to the internet, just use the apps and config without the usual self signed issues.

Hi all, my UniFi docker has just failed for some reason. I rebooted my server and now each time I start my controller I get the following error in the log;

Mar 23 21:35:03 Media kernel: BTRFS warning (device loop2): csum failed root 1796 ino 10101 off 41115648 csum 0xb3cf73fa expected csum 0x293aeffb mirror 1

This morning I got a message from Fix Common Problems that said the Docker image was read only. I stopped Docker and increased the size to see if this was the issue but no avail. Stopped Docker again and ran a scrub;

scrub status for 266b6e65-1004-4619-8039-7a234e50f0f1
scrub started at Sun Mar 24 18:14:34 2019 and finished after 00:00:03
total bytes scrubbed: 3.65GiB with 2 errors
error details: csum=2
corrected errors: 0, uncorrectable errors: 2, unverified errors: 0

All other dockers run fine, only when I start this one I see the csum errors appear in the sys log. The UniFi Controller never starts and all I get is a message saying server starting when I try and connect to the WebUI.

Any pointers?

1 minute ago, andyjayh said:

Hi all, my UniFi docker has just failed for some reason. I rebooted my server and now each time I start my controller I get the following error in the log;

Mar 23 21:35:03 Media kernel: BTRFS warning (device loop2): csum failed root 1796 ino 10101 off 41115648 csum 0xb3cf73fa expected csum 0x293aeffb mirror 1

This morning I got a message from Fix Common Problems that said the Docker image was read only. I stopped Docker and increased the size to see if this was the issue but no avail. Stopped Docker again and ran a scrub;

scrub status for 266b6e65-1004-4619-8039-7a234e50f0f1
scrub started at Sun Mar 24 18:14:34 2019 and finished after 00:00:03
total bytes scrubbed: 3.65GiB with 2 errors
error details: csum=2
corrected errors: 0, uncorrectable errors: 2, unverified errors: 0

All other dockers run fine, only when I start this one I see the csum errors appear in the sys log. The UniFi Controller never starts and all I get is a message saying server starting when I try and connect to the WebUI.

Any pointers?

Not really anything to do with this container though, so better to post it in the correct section of the forum. 

Since your docker image is corrupt, you need to delete it and install your containers again. 

No trouble if you have CA installed. Just install them from previous apps. 

5 minutes ago, saarg said:

Not really anything to do with this container though, so better to post it in the correct section of the forum. 

Since your docker image is corrupt, you need to delete it and install your containers again. 

No trouble if you have CA installed. Just install them from previous apps. 

That's fine, and thanks for the pointer. I was really trying to understand if it was in fact the docker image which was the problem and this just happened to be the only container that become unusable. Right, off to go work out how to restore, I do have CA installed, thankfully.

Hi, just looking for some advice.

Sorry but this isn’t necessarily docker related but related to UniFi and unRaid so thought someone here might be able to shed some light.

I added a USG into my setup and all is working though everything within unRaid can no longer resolve websites;

2019-03-26 19:44:21,890::INFO::[rss:309] Failed to retrieve RSS from https://dognzb.cr/rss.cfm?r=e#s#s#ssss#s#s=9000: <urlopen error [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution>

Gmail smtp no longer works for notifications

sab server test;

[Errno 99] Address not available 
Check for internet or DNS problems

thanks

10 hours ago, miccos said:

Hi, just looking for some advice.

Sorry but this isn’t necessarily docker related but related to UniFi and unRaid so thought someone here might be able to shed some light.

I added a USG into my setup and all is working though everything within unRaid can no longer resolve websites;

2019-03-26 19:44:21,890::INFO::[rss:309] Failed to retrieve RSS from https://dognzb.cr/rss.cfm?r=e#s#s#ssss#s#s=9000: <urlopen error [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution>

Gmail smtp no longer works for notifications

sab server test;

[Errno 99] Address not available 
Check for internet or DNS problems

thanks

Probably a better idea to ask on the unifi forum.