[Support] Linuxserver.io - Unifi-Controller

5 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

The best solution I have so far is to tag the .11 version I mentioned earlier as it does not have a memory leak and is only one iteration behind, so contains most features. There is no downgrade path though. I am using this .11 version and it works great though.

Thanks, I'll look into what involved in changing back to .11. I'm not totally adverse to wiping my config as I want to make some big changes anyway. I'm on 5.12.72 at the mo

22 hours ago, geekypenguin said:

Thanks, I'll look into what involved in changing back to .11. I'm not totally adverse to wiping my config as I want to make some big changes anyway. I'm on 5.12.72 at the mo

Please provide feedback so others can know your mileage and what happened.

I "solved" my issue with the WebUI. After reading some of the latest posts regarding the memory leak issues I decided to install a fresh container. After shutting down my old container I renamed the appdata folder. Then I changed the container repository from linuxserver/unifi-controller:LTS to linuxserver/unifi-controller:5.11.50-ls40 (as proposed) and installed my new container. Now I could reach the WebUI! I then restored a backup from a year ago (2019-05), yes a year ago. And first everything was good, I signed in with my usual user/pass, started looking around (no changes made!) and suddenly I lost connection to the WebUI. I could not get it back. I fail to see the logic here. A new fresh container and a backup from a year ago, well before my issues started. First working, then not. Anyway, I removed the appdata folder and started from a clean install again. This time I did all, or at least all necessary, config manually to get my wifi back online. Now it has been working for at least 24h.

Hopefully this helps you other guys having this issue... maybe you are more lucky with your backup, if you have any. :)

Thanks for mentioning 5.11 is also working for you. it does have almost all features of 5.12 so hopefully this can tide us all over until the mem leak is fixed and this is no longer an issue.

I believe that if you upgrade from LTS to 5.11 then the correct procedure would have been to not rename the appdata container folder but simply change the tag. Obviously taking a backup of the folder beforehand would have been good as you did, but changing the tag should allow an upgrade without needing to restore a backup.

Sorry you had to scratch it and begin again, unifi is very troublesome sometimes. Thats why when you find a good version its nice to sit on that for a long while until another good version is found then sit on that one. Im waiting for 5.13 then will save a backup of this appdata and try out an upgrade and if its stable will let everyone know. If not will also mention it here.

P

• Like 1

So I haven't found the information in this post (Not saying it's not there, though. There's a lot of pages!)

For some reason, the user name and password I put in for the initial setup isn't working, so I am effectively locked out of my controller. Am I able to delete the config folder or just stop it, uninstall it and reinstall it? Also, if I do that, wireless will still work, right? Seems like it would, but I'm just making sure. I'd be trying to do this on the wireless, and the last thing I need is ANOTHER D'oh moment. I have enough of those in a day.

Version is 6.8.3, Docker version is current LTS

The wireless will work without the controller running. I believe its possible to have cloud sync'd the login credentials but personally I dont know much about how that works. Not sure if you did that either.

One thing you will lose if you blank the docker image and reset it to a clean install is the ssh credentials to login to the wifi device, if you have not made a backup of that password, then the only way to connect the wifi AP back to the new controller setup would be to reset each wifi ap one at a time using the reset button behind the AP. That would set the AP back to defaults with the default ubnt/ubnt password combination (and lose all the config on it).

Edited by PeteAsking

Hi! Might be a dumb question, but how do you upgrade to 5.11? In the docker documentation I only see it going up to 5.9 or latest, do you simply change the name of the repository to linuxserver/unifi-controller:5.11 ? Also, will doing only this and reloading the docker container be sufficient to update the controller, or is there more to do too afterwards? I'm a huge newbie to docker and unifi so sorry again if these are stupid questions! Thanks!

3 hours ago, Antoine Rincent said:

how do you upgrade to 5.11?

You cannot install a 5.11.xx version of the controller through the standard repository tags (LTS, 5.7, 5.8. 5.9 and latest).  The latest tag skips all the way to the current "stable" version which is 5.12.72.  I can't tell you what the current LTS version is as I have never used that tag.

do you simply change the name of the repository to linuxserver/unifi-controller:5.11 ?

No, that will not work. In this post on the prior page, @PeteAsking reports being able to install 5.11 with a 5.11 version-specific tag.  You can give that a try.

Also, will doing only this and reloading the docker container be sufficient to update the controller, or is there more to do too afterwards?

Just edit the docker container with the appropriate tag.  When you click Save, it will download and install the specified version and start the docker container automatically.  If all works well, you just start the WebUI and you will find yourself logging into the appropriate controller version.

Edited by Hoopster
2 hours ago, Hoopster said:

You cannot install a 5.11.xx version of the controller through the standard repository tags (LTS, 5.1, 5.8. 5.9 and latest).  The latest tag skips all the way to the current "stable" version which is 5.12.72.  I can't tell you what the current LTS version is as I have never used that tag.

Just for completeness, the LTS is currently 5.6.42, which has been extremely stable for me. I'm dreading being forced to change eventually, I have too many sites that I support with it. Right now I have 7 different physical locations with 15 access points of various flavors and configurations.

12 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Just for completeness, the LTS is currently 5.6.42, which has been extremely stable for me. I'm dreading being forced to change eventually, I have too many sites that I support with it. Right now I have 7 different physical locations with 15 access points of various flavors and configurations.

Shit... We just pushed 5.11 for the LTS tag 😝

19 hours ago, jonathanm said:

You can lookup a tag for example here is the 5.6.42 version:

https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/unifi-controller/tags?page=1&name=5.6.42

Then you can change the tag of your docker to 5.6.42-ls76 for example and that would prevent it ever updating and you could stay like that forever.

P

29 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

You can lookup a tag for example here is the 5.6.42 version:

https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/unifi-controller/tags?page=1&name=5.6.42

Then you can change the tag of your docker to 5.6.42-ls76 for example and that would prevent it ever updating and you could stay like that forever.

P

Yeah, I wish. Unfortunately the reality of things is that once Unifi moves on, so must I. Otherwise eventually I'm not going to be able to support the newer radios as they are released. It's wishful thinking to believe I can stay on this release forever, but I can always dream.

I'm just hoping that when LTS moves, it's to a tried and true version rather than opening a can of worms. At least that's the idea behind LTS, something you can rely on to stay working for the Long Term.

52 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

updated to 5.13 today so will let it run a few days then report back if there is a memory leak

5.13 definitely still has a memory leak. 

I updated yesterday.  The container starts with a little less than 600MB memory utilization.  After 21 hours, the container was using 1.32GB and still climbing.

1 minute ago, geekypenguin said:

I'm on 5.13.29, uptime of 13 hours so far, and it's gone from 660ish to now being 720ish MB used.

I have also turned off the deep packet inspection (beta) to see if that's the cause. It's still growing but would be at 1.3GB after 24 hours so we'll see how we go.

Thats strange that I dont have mine growing. I dont have a unifi gateway so maybe the people where it grows all have gateways and use things like dpi etc like you ?

Just now, PeteAsking said:

Thats strange that I dont have mine growing. I dont have a unifi gateway so maybe the people where it grows all have gateways and use things like dpi etc like you ?

That's what I'm wondering, is it a problem with the USG rather than the controller.

I don't remember turning on DPI but I must have done, and being a Beta feature I wouldn't be surprised if this was having issues.

Anyone know when DPI was added to unifi? Was it after 5.11?

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, geekypenguin said:

That's what I'm wondering, is it a problem with the USG rather than the controller.

I don't remember turning on DPI but I must have done, and being a Beta feature I wouldn't be surprised if this was having issues.

Anyone know when DPI was added to unifi? Was it after 5.11?

DPI is on for my USG and has been for quite a while.  It does not show as beta for me.  It has been in the UI for longer than just 5.11.  I am going to turn it off and restart the docker container to see if that has any impact of growing memory utilization.  However, I only noticed the memory leaks beginning with 5.11 and DPI was on before that.

image.png.96cb073983268dbee5f91b85b05e76fd.png