[Support] Linuxserver.io - Unifi-Controller

1 minute ago, Hoopster said:

Thanks guys, I turned off DPI and now the UniFi WebUI is no longer accessible!  😀

That was not the issue anyway.  I restarted the container and it started at 509MB and has already risen to 723MB in 10 minutes.

See if it stabilises around there? Mine grew quickly to start with but now it's fluctuating between 716 and 722 so I'm going to keep it like this for a few days and see what happens.

Not good that it killed the webui though

5 minutes ago, geekypenguin said:

Nope, don't know what it would do when the caps reached.

Also, don't know how to...

Try setting one, I have one set.

Edit your docker and click advanced view. Under Extra Parameters: enter this (example):

--memory=4G

This will limit the docker to seeing it has 4GB of RAM (you can set a logical value of your preference but thats what I am using).

Screenshot at 2020-06-17 16-02-52.png

Edited by PeteAsking
10 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

Have you all set a memory limit on the docker (those with issues) or not?

No, but, I will give it a try.  My server has 64GB RAM and I will limit the container to 4G.

Since I have CA appdata backup running weekly, it restarts the container once a week anyway which resets it back to 509GB and climbing.  The highest RAM utilization I saw was about 1.7GB after 6 days so it grows fast initially and then slows down after a while.

I am already over 800GB memory utilization. 

Limiting RAM and restarting container now.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, geekypenguin said:

I was thinking around 1.5GB as its always been around 1.3GB when I reset it every day

Normally some free memory is required to be seen by a docker even if it does not make use of it at all times, so that seems a bit low. For example Windows 10 works boots and only uses 1.7GB on my system but if I pull all the ram out and only give it 2GB it isnt very happy. It needs a bit of overhead to shuffle things around. It might need a bit extra to do a bit of cleanup to its memory and then might drop down for example but if you restrict it so much it is barely able to operate you may experience some negative effects. Its ultimately up to you of course.

1 minute ago, PeteAsking said:

Normally some free memory is required to be seen by a docker even if it does not make use of it at all times, so that seems a bit low. For example Windows 10 works boots and only uses 1.7GB on my system but if I pull all the ram out and only give it 2GB it isnt very happy. It needs a bit of overhead to shuffle things around. It might need a bit extra to do a bit of cleanup to its memory and then might drop down for example but if you restrict it so much it is barely able to operate you may experience some negative effects. Its ultimately up to you of course.

Yeah I get that. Longer term I'll set it higher, I was more meaning for testing to see what it does when it "runs out" of ram.

It's not really a workable solution for me to put a cap on the memory of it's going to start causing networking issues and I'll stick with the daily Cron that restarts the docker instead.

I'm hoping the DPI has fixed it though as memory has actually gone down in the last hour

• Like 1
17 hours ago, geekypenguin said:

Yeah I get that. Longer term I'll set it higher, I was more meaning for testing to see what it does when it "runs out" of ram.

It's not really a workable solution for me to put a cap on the memory of it's going to start causing networking issues and I'll stick with the daily Cron that restarts the docker instead.

I'm hoping the DPI has fixed it though as memory has actually gone down in the last hour

Any luck on the Memory numbers without DPI enabled?

Also what are you using as your Cron job (or User Script) to restart the docker daily, I might have to look at that myself.

8 minutes ago, geekypenguin said:

Currently up to 765MB so it has grown but would usually be over 1.5GB by now with 31 hours up-time. I'm keeping the DPI off on mine as it's clearly helping but I think it's too soon to call the issue fixed for version 5.13.29

And I'm just using a user script:

docker restart unifi

Turn on dpi and see what happens. Is the docker limited to 4gb still?

Limiting the UniFi container to 4GB RAM seems to have helped somewhat although it is still too early to tell what the long-term affect will be.

Initially, things were looking good as RAM utilization began at around 607MB after docker was restarted and then increased to a little less than 800MB. It then seemed to hit a plateau and actually started going DOWN after a few hours.  It got down to around 700MB and then started climbing again.

RAM utilization is currently at 980MB but appears to be holding steady after 19 hours uptime.

All of this is with DPI enabled.  Disabling it seemed to have no affect on RAM utilization one way or another.

My biggest problem now is that the WebUI fails to open.  (Had to restart the container to be able to open the WebUI).  I am back at square one with the container having restarted.  After a few minutes memory utilization has increased from 607MB to 750MB.

I'll keep an eye on it for a few days and watch memory utilization and UI access issues.

• Like 1

Is there a way I can roll back the last latest 5.13.29 to 5.12 easily? My fault for running latest, but it reprovisioned my nanohd, then isolated it. I've forgot it but now it gets it a loop between adopting and disconnected, wired and wirelessly.

I have a backup at that 5.12, just unsure how to actually run that version now. All help appreciated...

Yes you stop the docker, rename the current unifi folder to like unifiold or something and give the backed up one the name the current one had, then set the tag to be the 5.12 version you ran before by checking the tags on the github repo and then start the docker at the end of all this. I believe that should work fine but dont sue me if it doesnt. 

if you need more detail on one of the above steps let me know. 

Edited by PeteAsking
  • Thanks 1

Hey all, something changed recently with my Unifi controller, I assume there was an update that broke my settings. I have two unraid systems running in two different locations in two different states. on both setups I have unifi controller running, with the same settings. This setup has been working perfectly for more than a year. I last accessed my unifi controller last month and it was fine, last night I tried to access my local unraid unifi controller and got a 

"502 Bad Gateway

nginx/1.18.0"  using my letsencrypt/duckdns address.

I get 

This site can’t be reached

192.168.1.2 refused to connect.

Try:

Checking the connection

Checking the proxy and the firewall

ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

When I try to open webui from my docker page.

I tried my remote unraid server in another state and got the same response trying to reach that controller.

I am sure that this is something silly that I am just not seeing. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Chas

After fusing with this all day, it could possibly considered better but not yet right. Now when I attempt to access the controller either through the Docker/webui or the letsencrypt/duckdns i get the same thing;

Unifi controller is starting up...

please wait a moment

But nothing ever happens

Chas

I was able to get the controller working again by.

1. renaming the app data folder unifi-controllerd

2. Removing the unifi docker

3. reinstalling the unfi docker

4. restoring a backup from unifi-controllerd

The only problem is that when I tried to install the LTS Tag, I could not restore my backup because it was a newer version. I was forced to install the latest tag.

I'm looking now to see if I can change tags

Chas

• Like 1