[Support] Linuxserver.io - Unifi-Controller

Sometime very late last night/early this morning, the UniFi docker container hit the 2GB RAM limit I had set for the container.  The result was that it kept running and did something to reduce RAM usage. 

When I went to bed last night, the container was at 1.97 GB RAM usage.  When I checked it this morning, all was well and RAM usage was at 1.02GB.  It has since increased to 1.11GB.  The container was not restarted and never crashed according to logs.

Having a RAM limit set on this container is very useful; otherwise, it would probably continue to use RAM until system RAM is gone or the container is restarted though an update or appdata backup.  In either instance, with weekly updates and/or backups, somewhere around 2GB utilization is what I saw before the container was restarted and RAM utilization reset.

The RAM limit on the container seems to cause it to "clean out" RAM it is not really using when it hits the limit.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Sometime very late last night/early this morning, the UniFi docker container hit the 2GB RAM limit I had set for the container.  The result was that it kept running and did something to reduce RAM usage. 

When I went to bed last night, the container was at 1.97 GB RAM usage.  When I checked it this morning, all was well and RAM usage was at 1.02GB.  It has since increased to 1.11GB.  The container was not restarted and never crashed according to logs.

Having a RAM limit set on this container is very useful; otherwise, it would probably continue to use RAM until system RAM is gone or the container is restarted though an update or appdata backup.  In either instance, with weekly updates and/or backups, somewhere around 2GB utilization is what I saw before the container was restarted and RAM utilization reset.

The RAM limit on the container seems to cause it to "clean out" RAM it is not really using when it hits the limit.

This makes sense. Please can you try the changes I suggested, they should cause it to clean up the DB before having to wait until the ram limit is reached which is less desirable as if it happens during a busy period then performance will be degraded during that time for several cpu cycles (ie 10-60 seconds) as opposed to constant smaller cleaning throughout the day that will have a minimal impact on the vm. 

Edited by PeteAsking
  • 2 weeks later...

After the last update of the Unifi-controller, the Unifi docker icon disappeared and won't reload. when I tried right click the icon and copy image location it gave me the following link:

http://unraid/state/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/images/linuxserver-unifi-controller-latest-icon.png?1594624274

if you visit this link you will receive a message saying the following:

the image "http://unraid/state/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/images/linuxserver-unifi-controller-latest-icon.png?1594624274" can not be displayed because it contains errors

any idea why this is happening?

P.S all other docker images are showing just fine.

Thank you

Edited:

Simply remove the docker container and reinstall it, that solved my problem.

Edited by Bashar

Ok well regarding the 'memory leak' I have provided 2 potential ways to mitigate this (1 - set limit on docker, and 2 - modify the system.properties in order to prevent the database growing without running any cleanup operations). Between these 2 fixes there shouldnt be any further issues. Im on the latest version and works fine. A 2GB limit seems sufficient for the docker image, although 4GB is what Unifi themselves allocate their controllers so if you have the RAM to spare, I would use 4GB if possible. If you feel 2, or 4 GB is too much memory for a docker, well thats just how unifi coded it.

Hey guys! I'm a newbie with using the unifi controller, but wanted to update mine, right now I'm using the 5.9 tag, and wanted to upgrade to the LTS tag, as I saw above that 5.11 was pushed on it, and I'm a big believer in the "set it and forget it" mentality, I changed the tag in the docker container and it all worked perfectly, but once trying to go in, I was greeted with the error message "we do not support upgrading from 5.9.xyz", did I forget a step, or do I need to restart from a blank slate? I reverted back to the 5.9 tag and it works like before.

Browsing the unifi forum I found that people recommend pushing a certain command in the cloudkey once SSH'd into it, but I'm unsure if it would be the same for the docker container version of the controller and wanted to make sure before bricking it! :)

Thanks a lot!

20 hours ago, Antoine Rincent said:

Hey guys! I'm a newbie with using the unifi controller, but wanted to update mine, right now I'm using the 5.9 tag, and wanted to upgrade to the LTS tag, as I saw above that 5.11 was pushed on it, and I'm a big believer in the "set it and forget it" mentality, I changed the tag in the docker container and it all worked perfectly, but once trying to go in, I was greeted with the error message "we do not support upgrading from 5.9.xyz", did I forget a step, or do I need to restart from a blank slate? I reverted back to the 5.9 tag and it works like before.

Browsing the unifi forum I found that people recommend pushing a certain command in the cloudkey once SSH'd into it, but I'm unsure if it would be the same for the docker container version of the controller and wanted to make sure before bricking it! :)

Thanks a lot!

Dont know but if you backup the entire unifi folder in your appdata you can always revert even if you break it.

On 7/18/2020 at 4:55 PM, Antoine Rincent said:

Thanks a lot!

Did you ever  figure out how to upgrade to LTS? Looking to do the same and I'm having the same issue as you.

After downgrading back to 5.9 it worked well, but since I wanted the newer features I just used the latest tag, and tried to downgrade to LTS from there, but it wouldn't work either, if you find a good way to do so, please say so, but for now I'm running on the latest version :)

Going to latest right away worked flawlessly, just had to change the tag in the docker container settings and bam, that was it, what I meant is that the downgrades aren't working perfectly, but no matter, latest works fine for me, except for the memory leak but it isn't too bad an issue for my installation :)

17 hours ago, Antoine Rincent said:

Going to latest right away worked flawlessly, just had to change the tag in the docker container settings and bam, that was it, what I meant is that the downgrades aren't working perfectly, but no matter, latest works fine for me, except for the memory leak but it isn't too bad an issue for my installation :)

I already posted above how to alleviate the issue of the 'memory leak'.

First of all much Thanx to the linuxserver crew for all their hard work on this and all the other dockers and the community at large. I seem to have read myself crazy, there is a lot here in this thread. I just need a little nudge here. All I wanted to do was migrate to the server from the laptop. I have the newer unifi-controller Docker sw loaded on the unraid server. I am having issues when trying to adopt all three devices USG, USW and a AC Pro ap.

So what I have done:

• moved to the LTS docker (why is it still at 5.6.42? and how do I get more current?) . As I understood it, if i selected the 5.9 version that's as far as I could go and never further and with the LTS version it would change with the stable releases and perhaps not the "latest".
  • the controller docker  is loaded as a custom:br0 with a IP address 192.168.1.2xx. (its running now, didn't change the default options other than the custom:br0 ip address)

• In the controller sw, added  the Controller Hostname/IP = 192.168.1.1 (the ip of the current UGS) and checked the two boxes "Override inform host with...." and "Make Controller dis..." .

Any Help would be greatly appreciated. 

Michael

thanks to all I got it! found the issue pilot error (knew it was just had to find it

Edited by mikeyw
figured it out

• the controller docker  is loaded as a custom:br0 with a IP address 192.168.1.2xx. (its running now, didn't change the default options other than the custom:br0 ip address)
  • In the controller sw, added  the Controller Hostname/IP = 192.168.1.1 (the ip of the current UGS) and checked the two boxes "Override inform host with...." and "Make Controller dis..." .
  • Any Help would be greatly appreciated. 

Michael

I think the Controller Hostname/IP setting should be set to the custom:br0 IP of the docker container. It should be the IP that the other devices need to use to connect to the controller.
    But I’m not sure you need to set that at all when using a custom network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a novice in Unraid and just brought to Unifi APs so I need load to the Unifi Controller and wanted to create and use the docker version in lieu of Windows.  Been playing it it a for about an hour and have hit a couple of speed bumps right out of the gate :

1) installation failed giving the following error related to port 8080/8443.  I do have other dockers using 8080.

415608738_Unificontrollerinstallerror.thumb.png.6d859be7d062ace90abeaabd42ac499a.png1924604402_Dockerallocation.png.4920836442e0ec4045c6b2f9b61ee92d.png

I am there a simple fix.  Probably related the docker will only open in host mode.  

2) Any special handling instructions for folks using Pfsense?   Unlocked port (NAT) etc?

31 minutes ago, holtdw01 said:

installation failed giving the following error related to port 8080/8443.  I do have other dockers using 8080.

... Probably related the docker will only open in host mode. 

I don't use this but I just loaded the template and it looks like it is supposed to run in bridge mode. And of course you can't run multiple things on the same port so you will have to remap one or the other.

On 7/31/2020 at 11:22 AM, holtdw01 said:

I am a novice in Unraid and just brought to Unifi APs so I need load to the Unifi Controller and wanted to create and use the docker version in lieu of Windows.  Been playing it it a for about an hour and have hit a couple of speed bumps right out of the gate :

1) installation failed giving the following error related to port 8080/8443.  I do have other dockers using 8080.

I am there a simple fix.  Probably related the docker will only open in host mode.  

2) Any special handling instructions for folks using Pfsense?   Unlocked port (NAT) etc?

1.)

You could change port(s) on the other docker containers.

I use a custom eth0 / br0 interface. This will put the container on its own IP, so it'll avoid port conflicts.

I think you need to enable bridging if its not enabled by default. Settings > Network Settings > Enable Bridging

Then that option should be available when editing the container.

Custom interfaces are isolated from the host and other custom interfaces, so if you set it up this way and you need them to communicate with each other, this might be of some help:

• 2 weeks later...
    21 hours ago, vanstinator said:

It would be nice to have an option to run EA controller versions. I picked up a new wifi 6 AP to play around with from the store but it requires 5.14 which doesn't seem to be released as stable yet so at the moment completely stuck. Current plan is to fork the image myself for the time being.

Darn.  I am stuck on the same boat.  Picked up (2) 6AP to replace my older AP.  Read that it requires controller running 5.14 :(

4 hours ago, titon said:

Darn.  I am stuck on the same boat.  Picked up (2) 6AP to replace my older AP.  Read that it requires controller running 5.14 :(

What a shitshow unifi is regarding software... I can't believe they sell hardware that needs beta software.

We are just releasing what is pushed to their Ubuntu repo, so you will have to wait until they push it.