[Support] Linuxserver.io - Unifi-Controller

• 2 weeks later...

If I am currently running 5.9 can I upgrade to the latest or would I need to rebuild from scratch? What would the process be? Can I just stop the docker and switch to the latest repository and restart or would I need to create a backup and import?

I guess I'm not sure on the best way to go about accomplishing this.

54 minutes ago, local.bin said:

I missed the memo about LTS but will use it in future

LTS is way back at version 5.6.  There is not anything wrong with that but it is lagging far behind in features.

Version 5.13 has been running very stable for me and others for several months.  I use a version-specific repository tag to stay on that version (rather than :latest) while the issues with 5.14/6.0 get sorted.

Here is my repository:  linuxserver/unifi-controller:5.13.32-ls71

Edited by Hoopster
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

LTS is way back at version 5.6.  There is not anything wrong with that but it is lagging far behind in features.

Version 5.13 has been running very stable for me for several months.  I use a version-specific repository tag to stay on that version (rather than :latest) while the issues with 5.14/6.0 get sorted.

Here is my repository:  linuxserver/unifi-controller:5.13.32-ls71

Thanks for that, appreciated.

I found it out as LTS wouldn't allow a backup restore so had to pin the version at the last v5 on docker.

Backup restored but cannot get my two access points to adopt, so no wifi and that adds extra pressure on me from the household :)

I've pinned at linuxserver/unifi-controller:5.14.23-ls76

Edited by local.bin
2 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Have you tried setting controller IP address to unRAID address and overriding the inform host?

image.png.d26db9ce9a52f041dead5eee6a1d8a63.png

Yes, tried, as well as set-inform via ssh ... doing some more checking as to why its stopped working overnight.

Edit: Resolved by waiting for disconnection and then forgetting device....without forgetting it would not adopt, now provisioning. Thanks for your help.

Edited by local.bin
3 hours ago, local.bin said:

Edit: Resolved by waiting for disconnection and then forgetting device

I had a problem (I think switch related) a while ago that resulted from connecting a laptop directly to my UniFi switch.  When I did this, the APs would reset and go into a never-ending adoption loop.  The only way I could get them to become re-adopted was just what you said; catch them in disconnected state before the adoption loop started again and then forget them in the controller.  After this, they adopted again no problem and I have not connected that laptop directly to the switch again.

The only way I can connect that laptop (actually happens with two of them, both Lenovos by the way) to the switch without causing the AP problem is to connect them first to a small 5-port desktop switch which is then connected to the UniFi switch.

Also just letting you guys know that 5.14 dropped support for some very old AP's like the first gen LR AP etc, so if anyone has old devices you might want to check the comparability list (and/or stay on 5.13).

I will probs upgrade to 5.14 when they stop releasing a new version every 6 days because that generally means people have stopped moaning on the forums over there (and finding problems).

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, blaine07 said:

What exactly was or wasn’t wrong?

blaine07 I'm not sure.

I didn't change any settings (haven't in at least 30+ days). Update to 6.0.20 went fine, although there was a dialogue about "some network settings are not compatible with this version (but couldn't find anything specific that was marked as not supported, and I'm not doing anything that would be unsupported or sneaky). Then the 6.0.22 update killed all connections to my WiFi devices.

Some details:

• 2 VLANs
  • 2 Wireless networks with 3 SSIDs (one for computers, and two for the IoT VLAN so they stay on the appropriate AP)
  • Basic routing and firewall rules for IoT setup
  • Ethernet connected devices were not affected at all. Full throughput, fully accessible, no errors / issues

Rolled it back in Docker to 5.14.23-ls76, uploaded my backup from that version and all is right in the world again

Any suggestions on how to avoid this would be appreciated; I can upload screenshots but like I said I'm back on 5.14 for the foreseeable future 

• Like 1

I've just been on unifi's chat support because my new AP was stuck in a disconnected / adopting loop.

They got me to SSH into the AP (default un/pw is ubnt/ubnt) and run the "info" command. This returns the url that the devices use to communicate with the controller. By default, it's:

http://unifi:8080/inform

as shown in the response from the info command.

As another docker is using 8080 (everything seems to want this port!), I changed the "Port used for device and controller communication." port to 28080, so I had to run this command to let my brand new new AP know where the controller is:

set-inform http://<unraid_ip>:28080/inform

Leaving this here in case someone else has this issue.

15 hours ago, jj_uk said:

I've just been on unifi's chat support because my new AP was stuck in a disconnected / adopting loop.

They got me to SSH into the AP (default un/pw is ubnt/ubnt) and run the "info" command. This returns the url that the devices use to communicate with the controller. By default, it's:

http://unifi:8080/inform

as shown in the response from the info command.

As another docker is using 8080 (everything seems to want this port!), I changed the "Port used for device and controller communication." port to 28080, so I had to run this command to let my brand new new AP know where the controller is:

set-inform http://<unraid_ip>:28080/inform

Leaving this here in case someone else has this issue.

If you would have read the readme on GitHub, you would have found this information in the application setup part 😉

18 hours ago, jj_uk said:

If my inform url needs to be http://192.168.1.123:456/inform,

What should I set Settings > Controller > Controller Settings > "Controller Hostname/IP" to so that newly plugged in APs are auto-adopted ?

Also, this IP, 192.168.1.123, if you have setup the docker correctly should be the same as your unraid IP. So I assume your unraid is running on 192.168.1.123.

7 hours ago, jj_uk said:

Yes it is. Thanks. How does the controller know the port is 456 ? 

Sorry I did not see you had altered the port for some dark reason. If you do this you break the automatic ability of the AP to get adopted and it will only ever work by ssh to the ap and doing a set-inform http://192.168.1.123:456/inform

my recommendation would be to give the port the AP expects back to the unifi docker instead of having to waste time doing this.