[Support] Linuxserver.io - Unifi-Controller

Hey guys, I have a problem with the unifi controller that I cannot figure out and fix on my own. I had the latest branch container running.

The whole thing started with an UAP AC Mesh that was connected using mesh to a wired UAP becoming disconnected and when power-cycled not being able to get connected again.

I then wired that UAP AC Mesh to the subnet where the controller and all unifi components are wired. A reset and even a factory reset resulted in the UAP AC Mesh being shown as "Adopting" in the controller but not making any progress.

I then realized that UDP port 10001 was not showing in the docker port mappings and experimented with removing port mappings from the Controller container, but after starting the containers the mappings still were there. I could not find an explanation for the UDP 10001 mapping being missing (also after re-installation) or removed mappings still being shown.

So I re-installed the container from scratch with default mappings. After that the container would start, but the UI would _not_ work any more.

So I tried the branches 5.9 and 5.8 but none of that worked. Also restarting Docker or the server would not help! Its saying "UniFi Controller is starting up... Please wait a moment"

So now I am stuck with a non-working cointainer! (I do have a backup the the "latest" appdata, but my appdata backup folder got somehow wiped - of course when it is needed. But the are:

unifi-controller/data/backup/5.14.23.unf
unifi-controller/data/backup/6.0.20.unf
unifi-controller/data/backup/6.0.22.unf) So I guess I should be able to roll back to 5.14.23.

The UAP AC Mesh (default login) shows: Status:      Unknown[11] (http://"controller-ip":8080/inform) which looks fine

Any help is welcome!

Edited by b0m541
  • 2 weeks later...

Just letting everyone know I been on this image:

5.14.23-ls76

Last updated24 days agobylinuxserverci

for 2 weeks, zero issues and all working great. Its pretty up to date and no changes in almost a month from unifi.

I see 6.0.24 is released and looks like people are having less issues with v6 now... so most likely major bugs been fixed with it but will probs hold off myself until another 2-3 months have passed to ensure its super stable.

So far staying a version behind has worked pretty well for me so far and honestly no clue what features are actually missing from 6.14, or what you are actually gaining by going to 6 so no real rush to change either.

Stay safe :)

P

4.3.21.11325 firmware update has a lot of complaints, especially apple devices.

Would stay on 4.3.20.11298 if you dont have any issues. For some reason this is another pushed update by Unifi, went from RC to stable in 12 hours. Bizarre, same sort of thing happened with v6 so obviously some quality control issues at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.  Currently using 5.9.29 Stable Release.  I have 3 SSIDs, each using different VLANS.  I am also using Sophos XG Firewall, v18. I have enabled VLAN function.  When you connect to each SSID, I do get different subnets, and each VLAN has it's own firewall rule.  

I got this working.  My problem is, every day or 2 days, my APs gets discconected from the controller, and goes adopting loop once again.  Since I'm using docker, and maybe because VLAN, the 2 APs don't see the Unifi Docker controller immediately.  I have to ssh into it, and do set-inform http://......  

I think the important question is, why does it disconnect from the controller?  If it doesn't disconnect, I don't have to re-adopt.  The most I've gone without disconnecting from the controller is 2 days.  I don't know where to begin checking.  

2 hours ago, jang430 said:

Hi.  Currently using 5.9.29 Stable Release.  I have 3 SSIDs, each using different VLANS.  I am also using Sophos XG Firewall, v18. I have enabled VLAN function.  When you connect to each SSID, I do get different subnets, and each VLAN has it's own firewall rule.  

I got this working.  My problem is, every day or 2 days, my APs gets discconected from the controller, and goes adopting loop once again.  Since I'm using docker, and maybe because VLAN, the 2 APs don't see the Unifi Docker controller immediately.  I have to ssh into it, and do set-inform http://......  

I think the important question is, why does it disconnect from the controller?  If it doesn't disconnect, I don't have to re-adopt.  The most I've gone without disconnecting from the controller is 2 days.  I don't know where to begin checking.  

If you cant complete the command

ping unifi

from each site then this could be one possible reason. You should ensure dns allows this to resolve.   

Also 8085 is not the default port. You should change that to the default if you are wanting to minimise issues in your setup. 

the default the units will check for is:

http://unifi:8080/inform

so that should resolve and work if you dont want problems. 

Edited by PeteAsking

No. The name ‘unifi’ is what the AP’s etc look for by default so you should have an A record in your local DNS server that translates unifi to the ip of the controller or alternatively add that to the local hosts file of the device(s). 

This is the default hard coded inform url they look for:

http://unifi:8080/inform

that should be resolvable as in the event of any issues the devices will try that inform url. 

You can change your Sabnzbd docker to use a different port so unifi can have the correct port back. Its more important and unifi dont really support changing the port very well/many people have issues. 

Edited by PeteAsking

Maybe it has also to do something with the network type bridge. The Docker is running in 172. network. After I reset port allocation back to 8080 and forgot the AP, the status switch to "Managed by other". When I hit plus button for adopting the AP I saw that the Inform URL was http://172.13.x.y:8080/inform.

But the AP itself is not on the bridged network. So I went to Settings / Controller and changed following setting:

Controller Hostname/IP: 10.0.0.x

(+) Override inform host with controller hostname/IP

The apdopting URL changed to http://10.0.0.x:8080/inform

Let's see if this changes helped. Will report back in some days.

5 hours ago, PeteAsking said:

What is your local DNS server you are using? You can also add it to hosts file of AP instead.

I don't have one.  I use a Sophos XG firewall.  After your instructions, I will have to do research to get it up and running.

What does this mean?

"But the AP itself is not on the bridged network."  Is mine considered to be on a bridged network?  I mentioned above I've setup VLAN on my Cisco Switch, so that each SSID is on it's own subnet.

Edited by jang430
11 hours ago, jang430 said:

I don't have one.  I use a Sophos XG firewall.  After your instructions, I will have to do research to get it up and running.

What does this mean?

"But the AP itself is not on the bridged network."  Is mine considered to be on a bridged network?  I mentioned above I've setup VLAN on my Cisco Switch, so that each SSID is on it's own subnet.

In his case he had to check here:

image.png.f36b71d4f59f2e2019eeb7683d33c516.png

Would be great if you could also check your inform IP on the controller is set correctly.

Apologies if this has been addressed, I saw notes around page 8 of others having issues using custom ports, but I couldn't find a solution.  It's unfortunate that so much of this thread is standard UniFi controller support over container support.

Anyway, I have been unsuccessful using custom ports for this container as well.  I have configured the docker properly, but the defaults are still used.  If I go into the container and look as the system.properties file, the port options are all commented out, so I'm not sure how the UniFi controller is supposed to know to use the custom ports.

Thanks,

James

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jang430 said:

@PeteAsking

Mine says image.thumb.png.76fd9d825c3089d990b7f86331efdd80.png

I just noticed there is a space between IP and colon ":" Will this explain why it doesn't reconnect when disconnected?  But I believe this doesn't explain why AP keeps on disconnecting from controller.  Will read on it this weekend, how to create local DNS.  Will also change ports 8080.

Not too sure if that is valid even without a space. You can only put an IP address on its own (that is how I have always used it ) or a FQDN. As @jzawacki mentioned above, the docker has no method to support changing the port so any attempt to change the port to a non default one will not work. The docker has to run on the default port, regardless of if that is convenient for you or not.

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, jzawacki said:

Apologies if this has been addressed, I saw notes around page 8 of others having issues using custom ports, but I couldn't find a solution.  It's unfortunate that so much of this thread is standard UniFi controller support over container support.

Anyway, I have been unsuccessful using custom ports for this container as well.  I have configured the docker properly, but the defaults are still used.  If I go into the container and look as the system.properties file, the port options are all commented out, so I'm not sure how the UniFi controller is supposed to know to use the custom ports.

Thanks,

James

You don't change the port inside the container, you change the host side. That is what port mapping is about.

Please supply the docker run command.