[Support] Linuxserver.io - Unifi-Controller

On 11/2/2020 at 10:18 AM, PeteAsking said:

6 is starting to look more stable so I have changed my tag to :

linuxserver/unifi-controller:version-6.0.28

And updated my APs to the latest firmware available (4.3.21.11325).

Will update how this goes in a couple weeks. I have noticed some options are missing in the new GUI so if your require every advanced feature possible, I would not yet update. The more general settings are there and most likely the advanced ones will make it in over the next few revisions.

P

Just FYI, I have been stable on this for a little while now and the latest firmware on my AP's.

Im not sure why anyone would upgrade though since 6.0.28 seems to be a downgrade, some features missing in this version, as opposed to the v5 before it. For this reason I cant see any compelling reason to upgrade to it, other than, you like running the latest version and feel like it. Seems pointless. I imagine the featureset will be added back in eventually.

P

On 11/12/2020 at 4:15 PM, PeteAsking said:

Just FYI, I have been stable on this for a little while now and the latest firmware on my AP's.

Im not sure why anyone would upgrade though since 6.0.28 seems to be a downgrade, some features missing in this version, as opposed to the v5 before it. For this reason I cant see any compelling reason to upgrade to it, other than, you like running the latest version and feel like it. Seems pointless. I imagine the featureset will be added back in eventually.

P

What features aren't implemented in 6.x.x.x yet?

15 hours ago, jameson_uk said:

What features aren't implemented in 6.x.x.x yet?

Quite a lot, check their forums, people are having to roll back because of vlanning etc. Actually too many to list here and I dont even know them all. I just noticed basic stuff on the AP's because you cant set some of the advances settings.

On 11/16/2020 at 9:38 PM, PeteAsking said:

Quite a lot, check their forums, people are having to roll back because of vlanning etc. Actually too many to list here and I dont even know them all. I just noticed basic stuff on the AP's because you cant set some of the advances settings.

Finding anything in their forums (or getting an actual answer for that matter) is nigh on impossible.   Guess I will stick with 5.9.29 for now and come back in several months to see if 6 has settled down.   6.x.x.x is needed for some of the new WiFi 6 APs though?

2 hours ago, jameson_uk said:

Guess I will stick with 5.9.29 for now and come back in several months to see if 6 has settled down.

You can enter a specific version tag (e.g. linuxserver/unifi-controller:5.14.23-ls76) in the repository.  I am running 5.14.23 (the latest in the 5.14 line) and it appears to be working great.  No need to stick with a very old 5.9 unless you wish to.  5.14.23 is very stable and is not missing features like the 6.0 releases.

2 hours ago, jameson_uk said:

6.x.x.x is needed for some of the new WiFi 6 APs though?

No, 5.14.3 or higher is needed for WiFi 6 support.

• Like 2

As hoopster says... the "best" version I have currently seen that has all feature-set and all feature-set working correctly is tag 5.14.23-ls76. His tag would be what I would recommend to use in most settings. An alternative is to turn off auto updating of docker apps in settings so it does not auto upgrade, but personally I use the tag method as it allows an update to a specific tagged version if there is a major security vulnerability found etc. while staying on the same version, but having that security update auto applied. This works quite well in most cases, and it also is coincidentally how Ubuntu snaps recommend maintaining a specific version (by use of tagging a snap version then that snap wont update past that version but would continue to receive updates to that version). Docker has a similar methodology.

On this 6 version, I tested, it is clearly not fit for production yet. It is fine on a home network, which is what I use it on, and as badsoden mentioned 2 posts above, seems to work for him also, but there are known issues with it if you make use of multiple WANS/VLans and some other things I notice people complaining about on the unifi forums. I only use it with some wifi AP's at my home so a lot of these issues do not affect me (I dont own a USG or Dream Machine or any of that stuff), so I cant really comment on how severe they are. For basic wifi AP's it seems functional, but I dont see any compelling reason to upgrade, as nothing new was added, and some features dont work or are missing. The only reason I can see for upgrading at all is so that you can feel good that you are running the latest version. Some people feel this is very important. If you feel being on the latest version is super important then the best thing to do is upgrade and report any bugs you find on the unifi forums so that they can get ironed out by the next iteration that is released.

Edited by PeteAsking
10 hours ago, Hoopster said:

You can enter a specific version tag (e.g. linuxserver/unifi-controller:5.14.23-ls76) in the repository.  I am running 5.14.23 (the latest in the 5.14 line) and it appears to be working great.  No need to stick with a very old 5.9 unless you wish to.  5.14.23 is very stable and is not missing features like the 6.0 releases.

Since you have been keeping up with the various versions, do you have a recommended path to get from LTS (5.6.42) to 5.14.23? It's not possible to go directly there, I tried. The mongodb engine complains about upgrading the data files, even though the log says LTS is running mongodb 3.4.24

<attempt to start 5.14.23>

** IMPORTANT: UPGRADE PROBLEM: The data files need to be fully upgraded to version 3.4 before attempting an upgrade to 3.6; see http://dochub.mongodb.org/core/3.6-upgrade-fcv for more details.

<massive snip after reverting to LTS>

MongoDB starting : pid=1100 port=27117 dbpath=/usr/lib/unifi/data/db 64-bit host=f73901575e14
db version v3.4.24

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Since you have been keeping up with the various versions, do you have a recommended path to get from LTS (5.6.42) to 5.14.23? It's not possible to go directly there, I tried. The mongodb engine complains about upgrading the data files, even though the log says LTS is running mongodb 3.4.24

<attempt to start 5.14.23>

** IMPORTANT: UPGRADE PROBLEM: The data files need to be fully upgraded to version 3.4 before attempting an upgrade to 3.6; see http://dochub.mongodb.org/core/3.6-upgrade-fcv for more details.

<massive snip after reverting to LTS>

MongoDB starting : pid=1100 port=27117 dbpath=/usr/lib/unifi/data/db 64-bit host=f73901575e14
db version v3.4.24

Hmmm, according to the 5.14.23 release notes, you should be able to do a direct upgrade from 5.6.42.  You might try changing the tag from LTS to 5.9 to see if that upgrade works.  Then from 5.9 to the 5.14.23 tag.

image.png.9386674f7c67a9d973c466e19b3a08fb.png

• Like 1
12 hours ago, PeteAsking said:

As hoopster says try a 5.9 tag eg:

unifi-controller:5.9

Once that works and seems ok then update again with the next tag: unifi-controller:5.14.23-ls76

Then you should be hopefully good on that version for a long while.

5.9 gives this message

We do not support upgrading from 5.6.42.

5.7 same message.

5 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

5.9 gives this message

Gotta love Ubiquiti.  Supposedly you can upgrade from 5.6.42 straight to 5.14.23, but, no, you can't even get from 5.6 to 5.9.

Maybe try from LTS to 5.7 or 5.8 (other supported LSIO standard distribution tags) and see if you can get to one of them (they are EOL as is 5.9) and then to 5.9 and then to 5.14?

4 hours ago, jonathanm said:

5.9 gives this message

5.7 same message.

This page lists all the specific version tags that can be used with the LSIO Unifi controller.

https://community.ui.com/questions/Upgrade-Path-from-5-6-42-to-ANYthing/04db52a3-f3fb-4eee-aae8-e2afaaf208b8

That thread seems to imply (based on a post from a UI employee, Glenn R) that version 5.10.24 is needed to upgrade from 5.6.42.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

This page lists all the specific version tags that can be used with the LSIO Unifi controller.

https://community.ui.com/questions/Upgrade-Path-from-5-6-42-to-ANYthing/04db52a3-f3fb-4eee-aae8-e2afaaf208b8

That thread seems to imply (based on a post from a UI employee, Glenn R) that version 5.10.24 is needed to upgrade from 5.6.24.

Yeah, that's the tag page I've been working off of. I'll give 5.10.24 a shot. Any guesses on which tag I should try first?

5.10.24-ls21

5.10.24-ls20

5.10.24-ls19

• Like 1
1 minute ago, wgstarks said:

Just out of curiosity, how are you backing up the docker?

I'm not, directly anyway. I keep database backups, which I should be able to apply to a fresh instance. I have all my relevant unifi ports exposed on a subdomain, so it's easy to spin up another unifi controller on whatever is handy and point the port forwards to the appropriate ip and internal ports.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

Success, so far, I'm running 5.14.23-ls76 now.

👍 Ubiquiti did not make it easy but I am glad you got there. 

I went from LTS to 5.14 one step at a time  (5.6, 5.7, 5.8, 5.9. 5.10....) as they were released while waiting a while for a stable version in each branch.  I guess that helped me avoid the big leap problem of which interim step to take to get there.

• Like 1