[Support] Linuxserver.io - Unifi-Controller

I hate to ask, but I've had a devil of a time getting this container to work.  I can never get the webgui to load (UniFi Controller is starting up... sometimes, other times won't connect).  Can anyone provide any guidance?

Trying to accomplish:

-Clean install (no previous config info/folders/etc)

-Running the container on a separate vlan/subnet (eg br0.XX with own net stack/ip).  IP address has access to WAN so I don't think it's the container downloading from the 'net that's the issue.

>Also tried 'all' the net options, host, bridge, no joy with any of these either

-Tried various versions (eg unifi-control:LTS, 5.9, 5.10.24-ls21, etc)

Tried the competing unifi controller container, which does work, but the latest 6 controller doesn't support wifi vlans yet (that I can tell) and that's a cornerstone of my network, so I need LTS or something else that still includes vlan support.

Still no joy.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT

Found it.  Turns out unifi-controller, for whatever reason, really, really doesn't like docker running from remote storage (I have docker.img and /appdata stashed on another server via NFS).  My guess is probably mongoDB doesn't like the NFS bottleneck?  Although I've had zoneminder (you would think plenty DB heavy) running over NFS like this for ages with no issues, dunno.

Edited by ThreeFN
  • Thanks 1
On 3/7/2019 at 3:51 PM, sreknob said:

Big thanks as usual to the team!

For those having adoption issues, I vaguely remember having issues before about that.

In case you don't already have custom IP in controller settings, you might want to make sure that you have set the IP under settings.

I had a issue where the controller was trying to set-inform with my private docker IP (172.17..1.X) instead.

See screenshot below, checking "Override inform host with controller hostname/IP" and entering the IP of your server above that.

image.thumb.png.00cd202d1cfe106ab60271aa68e4bdd3.png

Huuuuge thanks to you for writing this, I ran across this while trying to figure out why my Unifi devices were stuck in some adoption loop since my last update of this docker. These settings were set to default so they never were able to start provisioning properly.

Thanks again!

15 hours ago, ThreeFN said:

I hate to ask, but I've had a devil of a time getting this container to work.  I can never get the webgui to load (UniFi Controller is starting up... sometimes, other times won't connect).  Can anyone provide any guidance?

Trying to accomplish:

-Clean install (no previous config info/folders/etc)

-Running the container on a separate vlan/subnet (eg br0.XX with own net stack/ip).  IP address has access to WAN so I don't think it's the container downloading from the 'net that's the issue.

>Also tried 'all' the net options, host, bridge, no joy with any of these either

-Tried various versions (eg unifi-control:LTS, 5.9, 5.10.24-ls21, etc)

Tried the competing unifi controller container, which does work, but the latest 6 controller doesn't support wifi vlans yet (that I can tell) and that's a cornerstone of my network, so I need LTS or something else that still includes vlan support.

Still no joy.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT

Found it.  Turns out unifi-controller, for whatever reason, really, really doesn't like docker running from remote storage (I have docker.img and /appdata stashed on another server via NFS).  My guess is probably mongoDB doesn't like the NFS bottleneck?  Although I've had zoneminder (you would think plenty DB heavy) running over NFS like this for ages with no issues, dunno.

We don't reccomend using any remote filesystems for the appdata folder. They should be on local filesystem.

bit confused.

I have just installed the Unifi Controller on my Unraid server with no issues, and I was then able to log in.

after a lot of reading, ' as I understand it' is that after a while the controller will discovered my Unifi devices that I have on my network.

Wireless AP-AC-LR

UVC G3 Camera which is in Standalone mode

and in time I will be looking at the Doorbell system, but first I would like to get the two above items working first

is there something I have done wrong ?

6 hours ago, chris_netsmart said:

Wireless AP-AC-LR

UVC G3 Camera which is in Standalone mode

and in time I will be looking at the Doorbell system, but first I would like to get the two above items working first

is there something I have done wrong ?

The access point should be able to be adopted and controlled by this controller.  The cameras and doorbell are not controlled by this controller.  This is only for switches, access points and gateways/routers in the UniFi line.

For cameras and video doorbells you need UniFi Video software.

I have two AP-AC-LRs in my home network and this controller sees them as well as my two switches, in-wall access point and USG gateway/router.

You may need to SSH into the AP and run the set-inform command with the IP address of the controller to get adoption kick started (e.g. set-inform http://ip-of-controller:8080/inform). 

Also, as mentioned many times in this thread (look above a few posts), make sure you have the override inform host setting in the controller set to the IP address of the host (unRAID server) if running the docker container in host/bridge mode or to the IP address of the container if you have assigned it its own IP address on a br0.x network.

thanks for replying

You may need to SSH into the AP and run the set-inform command with the IP address of the controller to get adoption kick started (e.g. set-inform http://ip-of-controller:8080/inform). 

I have done as advise and I am awaiting for my controller to discover it.

Also, as mentioned many times in this thread (look above a few posts), make sure you have the override inform host setting in the controller set to the IP address of the host (unRAID server) if running the docker container in host/bridge mode or to the IP address of the container if you have assigned it its own IP address on a br0.x network.

I must confess, that I did skim through a few of the old posts, and I might have seen the above advice and as I was skimming I am not surprise that it didn't register.

I have gone through and set the following,  hopefully it will discover

image.png.246b51c715cd66d2d176a834b5217801.png

For cameras and video doorbells you need UniFi Video software.

I will go and install the docker.

Edited by chris_netsmart
1 minute ago, drdebian said:

I wouldn't dare try, it says it may break at any time... not something I want for managing my network...

Personally, I have stayed on the 5.14.23 version of the controller while the 6.x.x line matures some more. 

I thought you were wanting a 6.0.x version and thinking there was no way to install it with this container (which :latest will do).  Not wanting to install it is probably a wise decision.

On 11/22/2020 at 7:26 AM, oskarom said:

Huuuuge thanks to you for writing this, I ran across this while trying to figure out why my Unifi devices were stuck in some adoption loop since my last update of this docker. These settings were set to default so they never were able to start provisioning properly.

Thanks again!

Thanks for dragging that link to the top.  I was having the same issue....That fixed me up!

On 11/28/2020 at 11:46 AM, Hoopster said:

Personally, I have stayed on the 5.14.23 version of the controller while the 6.x.x line matures some more. 

I thought you were wanting a 6.0.x version and thinking there was no way to install it with this container (which :latest will do).  Not wanting to install it is probably a wise decision.

Hey @Hoopster. I've been running into a lot of random issues with my wifi lately, and I wonder if it may be due to me being on the 6.x version. To you knowledge, am I able to roll-back to 5.14.23, regardless of what AP firmware I'm running (likely latest as well)? I have a backup in the Unifi controller from late August, and an overall appdata backup from September, but truth be told I have no clue what version I was on at that time... looking at the linuxserver github, I think they didn't start rolling 6.x until mid-September, so perhaps I could find a good backup...

12 hours ago, kaiguy said:

To you knowledge, am I able to roll-back to 5.14.23, regardless of what AP firmware I'm running (likely latest as well)?

From a firmware compatibility standpoint, yes, going back to 5.14.23 is no issue as I am running the latest firmware on all devices with 5.14.23.

I don't know if there were major database changes between 5.14 and the 6.0.x controller versions as I have never made the leap; however, it does sound like you have a suitable backup if that is needed.

Lots of WiFi issues were reported with initial release of the 6.0.x controller so a roll back to 5.14.23 may fix your problem.

• 2 weeks later...

@sage2050

I guess try running the 5 version with tag linuxserver/unifi-controller:5.14.23-ls76

As it has been mentioned many times in this thread, it really is the best version available currently, and does everything and more than the current 6 release. There is no benefit, unless you are wanting to help unifi over on their forums find issues and fix them, to using anything else. For a business deploying the controller for a client, I cant imagine using the 6 release. Sounds like a nightmare.

Pete

Edited by PeteAsking
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, PeteAsking said:

@sage2050

I guess try running the 5 version with tag linuxserver/unifi-controller:5.14.23-ls76

As it has been mentioned many times in this thread, it really is the best version available currently, and does everything and more than the current 6 release. There is no benefit, unless you are wanting to help unifi over on their forums find issues and fix them, to using anything else. For a business deploying the controller for a client, I cant imagine using the 6 release. Sounds like a nightmare.

Pete

unsurprisingly this version worked right away. Thanks!

1 hour ago, PeteAsking said:

@sage2050

Pete

I am looking at upgrading to this very version... at the moment I am running 5.12.35 BUT this is from the linuxserver/unifi-controller:latest tag. I am not sure how to easily change tags without breaking everything... or is it easier than I think?

Any help appreciated. Cheers

4 minutes ago, johnieutah said:

I am not sure how to easily change tags without breaking everything... or is it easier than I think?

It's a piece of cake. 

Just put 'linuxserver/unifi-controller:5.14.23-ls76' in the repository field of the container then save and the docker container will restart and download that specific version.