[Support] Linuxserver.io - Unifi-Controller

4 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

It's a piece of cake. 

Just put 'linuxserver/unifi-controller:5.14.23-ls76' in the repository field of the container then save and the docker container will restart and download that specific version.

Will that not mess up my database or will it auto update accordingly as this is a supported update path?

Cheers

If you make this change then won't you permanently stay on that version until you change the repository field info?  But I guess maybe that is ok for now.

There may be folks wanting to stay on Controller versions for a while as a lot of hardware will become deprecated in March 2021, like my four UAPs, unless you stick to old controller versions.  I appear to be on 5.12.35 which appears to be about a year old.

1 hour ago, johnieutah said:

Will that not mess up my database or will it auto update accordingly as this is a supported update path?

Since you are upgrading, any database conversion, if necessary, will take place in the upgrade.  This is not a big leap from 5.12 to 5.14.  I don't think there were major database upgrades between those two.

Going up to 6.xx or downgrading from 6.xx to 5.xx is a bigger step and will involve some db changes.  If you were going from LTS (5.6), to 5.14, there would be some necessary interim steps as outlined earlier in this thread.

• Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, wayner said:

If you make this change then won't you permanently stay on that version until you change the repository field info?

Yes.  But until 6.xx becomes more stable, that is a good idea.  The only reason to go to version 6 right now is for the one model of WiFi 6 AP that requires the 6.x controller.  The first new WiFi 6 AP just required 5.14.

Changing the tag to :latest will upgrade to 6.xx when it is more stable.

• Like 1

I mean put it this way. Everyone on the 5.14 version is happy and dont have issues.

Everyone on older versions are missing features but may or may not be happy with that depending on their hardware.

Most people who moved to 6 have issues.

That is the current situation. Pick your poison. Until unifi code something better its not going to change. Likely this is the status for the next 6 months or so.

Edited by PeteAsking

I just got a Unifi Flex Mini and the quick start guide says controller v5.12.5 and newer is required in order to adopt it.

I am currently on tag 5.10.26-ls32. Should I upgrade to latest of v5.10 (5.10.27-ls32) before moving to latest of v5.11 (5.11.50-ls40) and then latest of v5.12 (5.12.72-ls61), so on and so forth until v5.14 (5.14.23-ls76)?

Update: just realised 5.10.27-ls32 is not a valid one, will try the next latest version.

Edited by CyberMew
add actual tags

Updated fine until 5.12.72 and shortly after updating and open the dashboard it took down the network. Completely dead. Any ideas why? Do I need to update my USG firmware in order to use the later controller version? Why can a controller update take down a network oh my goodness... 

Update: turned off and on USG and now it’s blinking white light. The LAN port is still not lighted up, same as before the restart. 

Update 2: steady blue light now. Still no go. 

Edited by CyberMew
53 minutes ago, CyberMew said:

Updated fine until 5.12.72 and shortly after updating and open the dashboard it took down the network. Completely dead. Any ideas why? Do I need to update my USG firmware in order to use the later controller version? Why can a controller update take down a network oh my goodness... 

Welcome to the wonderful world of unifi software updates 😉

I’ve read completely through this topic and my installation went without a hitch. Almost too easy. I was running on a Raspberry Pi and wanted to move to a docker.

Made a backup on my Pi then shut it down.

Installed the docker but my backup was more current than the docker so had to go with the :latest repository which is 6.0.41

Changed my IP to Custom: br0 and used the Ip that the Raspberry was using.

Started the docker and everything came up!

Went ahead in the Controller Configuration and set Override Host Inform just in case.

You guys made it painless! Thank you!

One question though. I have a simple home network but after reading through this topic and the issues, I’d like to slow down on grabbing the latest and greatest update. How can I change my repository setting to remain where I’m at until the LTS repository catches up to me?

I’ve seen in the thread people mentioning various extensions:

linuxserver/unifi-controller:5.13.32-ls71

linuxserver/unifi-controller:5.14.23-ls76

Does the (ls71, ls76) signify anything?

Thanks again…

1 hour ago, MyMonyPit said:

One question though. I have a simple home network but after reading through this topic and the issues, I’d like to slow down on grabbing the latest and greatest update. How can I change my repository setting to remain where I’m at until the LTS repository catches up to me?

I understand exactly what you are trying to do, unfortunately I don't think it's going to work the way you want it to, because I doubt the LTS repository is going to land on any of the currently available 6.x builds, there are just too many issues right now. The best you can hope to do is put in the tag of the image you are currently using instead of latest, and keep watching as things progress until there is a later version that you deem to be worth trying to update.

Look on the docker hub page linked in the first post at the tags tab, there you will find the current list of available images.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2020 at 4:44 AM, jj_uk said:

Ssh into the AP and type 'info'.

If the inform url is wrong, use 'set-inform http://unraidip:8080/inform'

Assuming the unraid controller port is 8080.

The fix above worked great for me. Thank you for the post. I'm not sure if I did something wrong in the setup of the container?

I looks like the Controller gave the wrong IP to the AP. It had my container IP 172.x.x.x not the correct 192.168.x.x of the unRaid server.

Should the Unifi container be a Bridge or a Host under Network?

EDIT: I was poking around the Unifi software and saw the below settings for "overide inform host"  is this related? (see below image)

image.png.df4b7e6ed8b11347b8dc09789ccd61ab.png

Edited by jay010101
25 minutes ago, jay010101 said:

The fix above worked great for me. Thank you for the post. I'm not sure if I did something wrong in the setup of the container?

I looks like the Controller gave the wrong IP to the AP. It had my container IP 172.x.x.x not the correct 192.168.x.x of the unRaid server.

Should the Unifi container be a Bridge or a Host under Network?

EDIT: I was poking around the Unifi software and saw the below settings for "overide inform host"  is this related? (see below image)

image.png.df4b7e6ed8b11347b8dc09789ccd61ab.png

It should be Bridge network, and you have already found the correct application setting to fix AP auto-adoption when running inside a Docker container (in Bridge mode).

Set Controller Hostname/IP to the IP of your Unraid server, then tick the box next to "Override infrom host with controller hostname/IP"

See https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-unifi-controller/#application-setup for more details, especially this:

Application Setup

The webui is at https://ip:8443, setup with the first run wizard.

For Unifi to adopt other devices, e.g. an Access Point, it is required to change the inform ip address. Because Unifi runs inside Docker by default it uses an ip address not accessable by other devices. To change this go to Settings > Controller > Controller Settings and set the Controller Hostname/IP to an ip address accessable by other devices.

Edited by Jorgen
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Jokerigno said:

No, but I prefer to access from outside using VPN. Different choice for same result.

95% of the UAP's under my management are outside this specific LAN, so I choose easier access over setting up a large number of router based VPN's. I guess technically I could keep the management interface portion closed, but like you said, it's a choice. I just passed through all the ports needed for the UAP's to talk to the controller and also the ports needed to manage the controller and guest portal.

I figure if UNIFI publishes a list of ports to open, they are fairly confident it's ok to open them given proper password protocols.

https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/218506997-UniFi-Ports-Used

I've been on the :Latest  for quite some time.  I'm currently on 6.0.36.0.  I'm seeing issues with my device roaming.  Clients are not roaming from AP to AP like they should and are staying stuck, wifi disconnecting entirely and then reconnecting to the next AP, etc.  Seems to have really been noticeable after the latest firmware update.  I don't have any Wifi6 AP's so Im considering downgrading the controller version.  Can I downgrade from the ver 6 chain to 5.14 ? 

11 hours ago, allischalmersman said:

I've been on the :Latest  for quite some time.  I'm currently on 6.0.36.0.  I'm seeing issues with my device roaming.  Clients are not roaming from AP to AP like they should and are staying stuck, wifi disconnecting entirely and then reconnecting to the next AP, etc.  Seems to have really been noticeable after the latest firmware update.  I don't have any Wifi6 AP's so Im considering downgrading the controller version.  Can I downgrade from the ver 6 chain to 5.14 ? 

Im afraid there is no official downgrade path.

Now that many of us use the 5.14.23-ls76 image, how are we going to deal with this? If nobody pulls this image at least once every 6 months it will be deleted. Maybe some of us should use a script to delete the image and pull it down again every 6 months. I know I will forget to do this manually so it has to be a script. I don't know when it will be "safe" to upgrade to a newer version since I don't really follow this thread that much. Anyhow, most of us know that using latest will be asking for trouble so most of us will be using a tagged image. 

39 minutes ago, strike said:

Now that many of us use the 5.14.23-ls76 image, how are we going to deal with this? If nobody pulls this image at least once every 6 months it will be deleted. Maybe some of us should use a script to delete the image and pull it down again every 6 months. I know I will forget to do this manually so it has to be a script. I don't know when it will be "safe" to upgrade to a newer version since I don't really follow this thread that much. Anyhow, most of us know that using latest will be asking for trouble so most of us will be using a tagged image. 

Honestly, the best answer is for lsio to start rolling a custom build with a consistent tag, that has base OS security updates as necessary but keeps 5.14.23 version of the Unifi software. I know this is extra work, but since unifi can't be bothered to do proper releases with testing and such, we need a container image that stays as current as possible while holding at whatever unifi app version that is deemed worthy by a majority of actual users. Continuing to use a container with an outdated base OS layer could become an issue, especially since some people can't seem to figure out how to properly run this in bridge mode which keeps port exposure to the minimum functionality required.

Currently we have LTS and Latest as rolling upgraded base OS, where LTS is currently holding at 5.6.42 and Latest tracks new unifi releases. I propose adding another, "Community_Stable" build which tracks the consensus for unifi version and keeps the base OS layers updated. When a newer version is deemed worthy, and can be migrated to without breaking things, the app version can roll from 5.14.23 to the new community blessed version. When that change is about to happen you could then specify the last 5.14.23 build tag and hold there if you wanted.

I recently went through the process of moving from LTS to 5.14.23, and it was a little stressful, as it wasn't clearly documented what minor versions you needed to use to get from A to B. Hopefully we can work to eliminate that sort of thing going forward.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

I recently went through the process of moving from LTS to 5.14.23, and it was a little stressful, as it wasn't clearly documented what minor versions you needed to use to get from A to B. Hopefully we can work to eliminate that sort of thing going forward.

Yeah, I did the same following your steps, thanks for posting that btw :) I agree with the rest of your post too, there should be a "Community_Stable" image.

Edited by strike