[Support] Linuxserver.io - Unifi-Controller

Hi All,

Just an update since I upgraded to 6.0.45 and 4.3.24.11355. I said I would report my findings.

So far everything has been semi ok. By this I mean that since upgrading to these versions my AP's do work but the CPU utilization on them is always at a constant 75%. They are always just doing "something" since the update and cpu is always near max. The memory is fine, but I dont think this was ever a problem before this version or was like that before.

That said, everything does work, so not sure what to make of that. I havent gained any benefit, except this strange CPU usage. So I dont know what to make of this update.

If anyone else wants to try and let me know what happens for them that would be helpful.

Pete

• Thanks 1
On 2/25/2020 at 8:21 AM, axipher said:

Cayde-IoT is another network 10.4.1.0/24 that I also have tagged with VLAN 5 on certain ports for my Phillips Hue and Wink Hub

How are you doing the vlans? I'm trying to configure a U6-Lite with a 16 port poe lite switch with this docker as the controller and a pfsense router vm running on the server where I define the vlans. But this is not working as the vlan wifi does not get internet.

9 hours ago, bschaeff18 said:

How are you doing the vlans? I'm trying to configure a U6-Lite with a 16 port poe lite switch with this docker as the controller and a pfsense router vm running on the server where I define the vlans. But this is not working as the vlan wifi does not get internet.

I know the recent controller version 6 broke some things, I think the new setup I have now has a Network that has a VLAN associated with it and then a wireless network SSID configured that uses that configured network, I have my Guest network shown for the wireless example, but "3_Guest" is set up similar to "5_IoT_Cloud_Access".  If I connect my phone to my "Cayde-Guest" SSID that is connected to network "3_Guest" on VLAN 10, I only get internet access and can't access other devices or my Chromecasts in the network.  Similarly, if I configure a port to be only the "3_Guest" or "5_IoT_Cloud_Access" networks and plug in my laptop to that port, I also get only internet access.

image.thumb.png.7ed7373f023fc2f4c9137d216d76eddb.png

image.png.19f94bd4d228da9247e3981756c1b3d7.png

As for wired devices, I have the ports on my switch that I'm plugging IOT devices configured to only have the IOT network with a VLAN tagged to that port

So that my Philips Hue Bridge for example is plugged in to a port that only has my IOT network turned on for it:

image.png.de90bc22ea1d2efa3179485e8217c771.png

• Like 1
2 hours ago, quietas said:

Will this be updated to be stable enough to work with the new v6 needed for the Unifi 6 lite?

Well, you should ask Ubiquiti that question.  If you need a 6.x.x version of the UniFi controller because it is required for certain APs, only Ubiquiti can control that.  The authors of this container simply package into a docker container what Ubiquiti produces and the stability of the underlying product is not in their control.

If you are really asking the same question that has been asked dozens of times in this forum; "when will this container be update to the newly released version X?", again that is a question for Ubiquiti.  Whenever version X hits the public UniFi Controller download page, this container will pull that version with the :latest tag.  It often takes them a week or two between release of version X and it hitting the public download page.

If you are looking for something later than 6.0.45, Ubiquiti has not made that available on their download site.

1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

Well, you should ask Ubiquiti that question.  If you need a 6.x.x version of the UniFi controller because it is required for certain APs, only Ubiquiti can control that.  The authors of this container simply package into a docker container what Ubiquiti produces and the stability of the underlying product is not in their control.

If you are really asking the same question that has been asked dozens of times in this forum; "when will this container be update to the newly released version X?", again that is a question for Ubiquiti.  Whenever version X hits the public UniFi Controller download page, this container will pull that version with the :latest tag.  It often takes them a week or two between release of version X and it hitting the public download page.

If you are looking for something later than 6.0.45, Ubiquiti has not made that available on their download site.

Let me rephrase. I understand that this docker is just repackaging the released files from Ubiquiti. This support thread has many people saying current 6.x versions are unstable, not to use them, and to stick with 5.x or 5.y... The second post says not to use the :latest tag as it is often broken or buggy. 

I wanted to know if there is an accepted version 6.0.34 or greater which is considered stable enough to be used?

I ask because I used a Cloud Key Gen2 with the current firmware and seemingly had no issues. Not a huge amount of time on it, but it seemed to work fine.

Edited by quietas
4 minutes ago, quietas said:

I wanted to know if there is an accepted version 6.0.34 or greater which is considered stable enough to be used?

A few posts up you will see that @PeteAsking went ahead and tried 6.0.45 which is what now gets installed with the latest tag and he reported his findings. Most 6.x.x versions before that caused all sorts of problems. 

6.0.45 seems to be "OK" and is better than its predecessors but is not yet receiving glowing reviews here or in the Ubiqiuiti forums. 6.0.45 may work for you.

I have used it for a week and wouldnt recommend it. Im waiting for the next update to hopefully move to and fix my cpu issue but I can only wait in hope for it to come out, and then be an improvement. No guarantees Im afraid. I saw there is a new firmware for my APs also now so probably I will update that at the same time a new controller version comes out and just hope it is better than this version. It sucks because once you upgrade moving back is a struggle.

12 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

@axiphermy unifi switch runs at around 60 degrees celsius. Seems nuts to me. What temperature does your one run at?

I have a 16-port 150W PoE Ubiquiti switch as well as an 8-port 60W PoE Ubiquiti switch.  The 16-port has always run very hot.  In the Summer it could get up in the low-to-mid 70s and the fans would kick on high.  They are LOUD!  These things do run hot.

I got so sick of it that I made a modification to the switch.  I removed the passive heatsink on the switch CPU and installed a Zalman CNPS 2X heatsink and fan on it as per the instructions in this link.

It has been many, many months since the fans kicked on and the switch in now silent and relatively cool (for this switch).  Current temp is 47C and on a warm day it can get up into the mid to high 50s if the switch is getting a workout.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, PeteAsking said:

@axiphermy unifi switch runs at around 60 degrees celsius. Seems nuts to me. What temperature does your one run at?

My US-48-G1 runs ay 60 C in my rack alongside a mining rigs and my UnRaid rig in 4U cases. I have a 90 mm fan running at low speed just blowing air across the top of the switch and my USG-3.  Without the fan running, it gets up to almost 70 C though, but hovers around there.

It is hot to touch at that level and if it does get to 75 C, the internal fan does come on for 10 minutes or so as the fan is only configured for full on or full off at 75 C.  The internal fan is pretty loud though, people have come up with commands to turn it on, but no speed control and it turns itself off after the temp is below 75 C for a certain amount of time.

There is a large discussion thread on it on the Unifi Forum, I don't have that link handy though.  The general consensus was that people aren't happy with the hot temperatures of their 48-port non-POE switches.  I'm not sure what the safe temperatures of the chips being used in the Switch are and if running at 60 - 70 C is actually detrimental for long term reliability or not.

Personally I prefer my electronics to be at most warm to the touch on the cases in case a cable sits against it or my hand grazes by it while working on something else so I installed the extra fan.

Once the warranty runs out on my switch, I'll likely open it up and swap in a couple Noctua fans with a low noise adapter spliced in to some constant 12 V in the switch somewhere.  I'll try to remember to post a link to that here if I do it.

• Like 1

I bought some extremely small 5v USB fans (0.75w each - they came in a pack of 5) from Amazon overnight and just duct taped 2 of them (so one can fail) to the one side of the switch, and made sure all the holes were covered on that side of the switch with duct tape so air has to pass through the fans. I mounted them so they pull air out rather than blow into the device (dust reasons) and after an hour the temperature dropped from 58C to 42C. It was a pretty simple fix that doesn't void the warranty since once you remove them unifi cant know anything was stuck to the switch and the unit is much cooler to the touch so probably everyone should do it.

7 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

It was a pretty simple fix that doesn't void the warranty

My 1-year warranty was long-since expired when I opened it up and slapped the fan/heatsink on the CPU.  I have had the switch for three years.

Ubiquiti's warranty has some pretty strange conditions as well.  A "one-year warranty" is not a one-year warranty to the end user.  It is one year from when the equipment was shipped to the authorized reseller/distributor.  If they shipped the switch to Newegg, for example in June, and I bought the switch in December, I only get a warranty in actual use for six months.  For all I know, the warranty was expired on the switch when I bought it.

If you buy direct from Ubiquiti, you get two years from delivery.  Hmmm, from whom do they want you to purchase equipment?

Here's the verbiage:

"The “Warranty Period” means (a) for Products purchased by the customer directly from UBIQUITI’S Webstores, two years after the date of delivery of such Product to such customer and (b) for Products purchased from an authorized UBIQUITI distributor or reseller, one year after the date of shipment of such Product to such authorized distributor or reseller."

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

Next time one of you guys can upgrade and take one for the team

I opt out! 😁

I received just today a new U6-Lite access point which I added to my site.  Fortunately, it only needs controller version 5.14.3 or above.  It adopted and provisioned without issues and I upgraded the firmware to the latest available for it (5.43.23.12533).

I am glad I did not get a WiFi 6 AP that requires the 6.x.x controller.  I want my network to actually function!

Any feedback on this?

"Are you sure you want to upgrade from 4.3.24.11355 to 4.3.28.11361?"

From what I'm reading here

https://community.ui.com/releases/UAP-Firmware-4-3-28/a02af414-6665-4c57-ac03-6e4dac8317e1

I'm very hesitant to pull the trigger, however I saw similar gripes on the thread for what I'm currently using.

https://community.ui.com/releases/UAP-Firmware-4-3-24-11355/36d1d2c3-dc75-4f5d-88d9-fb8dda5169ab

Anybody running the newer firmware with 0 issues?

9 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Any feedback on this?

"Are you sure you want to upgrade from 4.3.24.11355 to 4.3.28.11361?"

From what I'm reading here

https://community.ui.com/releases/UAP-Firmware-4-3-28/a02af414-6665-4c57-ac03-6e4dac8317e1

I'm very hesitant to pull the trigger, however I saw similar gripes on the thread for what I'm currently using.

https://community.ui.com/releases/UAP-Firmware-4-3-24-11355/36d1d2c3-dc75-4f5d-88d9-fb8dda5169ab

Anybody running the newer firmware with 0 issues?

I upgraded my 2x AP AC LR to 4.3.28.11361 last Thursday. Had 0 issues so far.

32 minutes ago, wayner said:

but I read that linuxserver.io will not longer be building dockers for unRAID

You read that a particular member of the ls.io team has decided to no longer build docker containers for unRAID.  His previous containers have been removed and are no longer supported.

You did not read that ls.io in general is no longer supporting unRAID.

• Like 1

Maybe I read too much into this, but that occured last November when unRAID incorporated Nvidia drivers into the core OS. Here is a quote from CHBMB: (in this thread: https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/unraid-os-version-690-beta35-available-r1125/?tab=comments#comment-11340&searchlight=1)

I am very officially retiring from any form of Unraid development.

And also:

You'll be pleased to know I will no longer be producing any custom "unofficial" builds for all the things you've not wanted to pick up and support for the last 10 years.  A bit like unassigned devices and @dlandon, hell that should have been incorporated half a decade ago.  In fact, I won't be doing anything here from this point on.  

Nearly 5 years of DVB and nearly 2 years of Nvidia.  You're welcome to them.

DVB is all yours now as well.

Good Luck.