[Support] Linuxserver.io - Unifi-Controller

1 minute ago, Hoopster said:

You read that a particular member of the ls.io team has decided to no longer build docker containers for unRAID.  His previous containers have been removed and are no longer supported.

You did not read that ls.io in general is no longer supporting unRAID.

Ok, thanks. I did read too much into that then.  My mistake.

19 minutes ago, wayner said:

Maybe I read too much into this, but that occured last November when unRAID incorporated Nvidia drivers into the core OS. Here is a quote from CHBMB: (in this thread: https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/unraid-os-version-690-beta35-available-r1125/?tab=comments#comment-11340&searchlight=1)

And also:

Wow, didn't know all that. Definitely concerning to me. I'm rebuilding my system next week and will have to take this into consideration as i'm also looking at proxmox/truenas combo.

7 minutes ago, ffhelllskjdje said:

Wow, didn't know all that. Definitely concerning to me. I'm rebuilding my system next week and will have to take this into consideration as i'm also looking at proxmox/truenas combo

There are other options for the functionality lost when those docker containers were pulled.  They are fully supported and provide the same functionality.

Of course, the choice is yours which way you go, but this ls.io container (unifi controller) and their many others for unRAID are fully supported by the ls.io team.

10 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

There are other options for the functionality lost when those docker containers were pulled.  They are fully supported and provide the same functionality.

Of course, the choice is yours which way you go, but this ls.io container (unifi controller) and their many others for unRAID are fully supported by the ls.io team.

Perhaps. but it looks like neither @chbmb nor @linuxserver.io have been active since the blowup according to their last visited date on their profiles. 

I know they are still updating the containers (i had a few updates today). No judgement either way from me...just interesting all around.

11 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

3 hours ago, Hoopster said:

You read that a particular member of the ls.io team has decided to no longer build docker containers for unRAID.  His previous containers have been removed and are no longer supported.

You did not read that ls.io in general is no longer supporting unRAID.

And that is not true either. We only pulled the plug for the Nvidia and dvb builds. That's all.

@wayner
Containers doesn't need to be built for unraid. You can use all containers from docker hub.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ffhelllskjdje said:

Perhaps. but it looks like neither @chbmb nor @linuxserver.io have been active since the blowup according to their last visited date on their profiles. 

I know they are still updating the containers (i had a few updates today). No judgement either way from me...just interesting all around.

We don't use the linuxserver account for support. It's only there to start support threads.

There are still some of us lurking around here, but for fast support, our discord server is the best place to get support. Or our discourse forum, but that one is not so busy.

chbmb will not be back here.

• Like 1
On 1/19/2021 at 10:17 PM, mifronte said:

I'm on LTS (5.6) and would like to go to 5.14.  This is a very long thread, can you point to or summarize the interim steps needed?  I will go back and look for the actual posts, but this would serve as a cross reference to make sure I got everything correct.  Thanks.

Update:

So to go from LTS (5.6)  I would change the Repository as follows:

Upgrade from LTS (5.6) to 5.10.24-ls21

Currently: linuxserver/unifi-controller:LTS

Change to:  linuxserver/unifi-controller:5.10.24-ls21

Then upgrade from 5.10.24-ls21 to 5.14.23-ls26

change Repository field to linuxserver/unifi-controller:5.14.23-ls76

Does that sound right?

I just went through this process to upgrade from LTS (5.6) to 5.14 and wanted to share my experience.

One gotcha I ran into is that 5.10.24 supports device firmware 4.0.9 or later only.  My APs (a mix of AP-AC-LR and AP-AC-Pro) were all on firmware 3.9.xxx.  After upgrading the container to 5.10, the controller was unable to show any information about these APs.  Even worse, 5.10 is unable to upgrade 3.9 devices, and it migrates the Unifi database in appdata to a new format.  So you can't update the firmware or roll back easily to 5.6.

I could have updated the firmware on my AP's by SSH into each AP, but I didn't want to risk running into any more gotchas and problems from Ubiquity.  I had made a backup of my appdata before moving to 5.10 and I restored it.  It is the first time I have ever needed to restore the appdata in many years of running unRAID, but I am very appreciative of the developers of Community Applications Backup / Restore Appdata plugin.  After restoring the original appdata, I changed the container back to 5.6 and used the 5.6 controller to upgrde the device firmware on the APs. 

I was not sure what firmware version was best to move to on the APs.  I went with 4.0.80 based on several comments in Ubiquity forums, but many also seem to like 4.3.20.  Might need to revisit this again.

Once the firmware was updated, the migration to 5.10 and then to 5.14 went smoothly, and the APs appear to be working well.

• Thanks 2

Im still stuck on this latest 6 version and no update in sight. The wifi is defiantly slower. I used to be able to push 400Mbps now only 250Mbps. i mean not the end of the world but irritating when i had a better time of it before. Its like if I hadnt seen such riches before I would have been happy being poor but now Im stuck on 6 and feel I have had something taken away from me with the "slower" 250Mbps. Not sure why is slower even because the AP only shows 30% utilization when I am doing a speedtest, no discernible problems etc. its like it just wont go over doing 30%, like it decides thats all the client could need no point trying any harder. I mean I do get it - that is all one really needs per client but it didnt do that before so why do it now??

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 2:27 PM, jonathanm said:

Success, so far, I'm running 5.14.23-ls76 now.

So, to summarize, to those who wish to move from LTS (5.6.42) to 5.14.23-ls76, you must first use 5.10.24-ls21 to upgrade the database.

At no point did I change anything in the template EXCEPT the repository tag. Everything seems to be working seamlessly. I do keep backups, so I wasn't too stressed about breaking things beyond repair.

I suppose I may start rolling upgrades to some of my sites after business hours. People get irritated when I take down wifi unnecessarily. 🤣

Thanks for this. Been a little busy so it took me a while but finally got a little time to upgrade.

I tried to update my docker and I appear to have broken my Unifi docker and I need some help getting back.

I am not sure what version I was running but when I look in my appdate folder autobackups they are named like this:  
autobackup_5.12.35_20210301_0000_1614556801716.unf

When I look at the docker install it shows:

latest - The most recent build version of the Controller software, regardless of release train.
LTS - The most recent Long Term Support release.
5.9 - The most recent 5.9.x release.
5.8 - The most recent 5.8.x release.
5.7 - The most recent 5.7.x release.

If I try to install 5.9 and go to the web UI I get a dialog to install the backup I get a message that I can't install this backup as it is from a newer version.  Can I install version 5.12?  If not then what version can I install that are after 5.12 but are stable?  And can I manually specify the version in the repository name, as in linuxserver/unifi-controller:5.12 ? But when I do that it says command failed.  

How do I get back and what version do I move to? And how do I specify the version that I want as 5.9 works, but 5.12 does not.

19 minutes ago, wayner said:

How do I get back and what version do I move to? And how do I specify the version that I want as 5.9 works, but 5.12 does not.

To try different versions, use this page as reference.

https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/unifi-controller/tags?page=1&ordering=last_updated

For instance, if you wanted to try a 5.12 pull, you would search that page for 5.12, and pick one of the amd64 builds, the latest being

linuxserver/unifi-controller:5.12.72-ls61

You need to specify which build exactly, there is no build labeled 5.12, they all have more characters in the tag.

Thanks Jonathan.  I am back up now.  There has been a lot of discussion on the stability of various versions.  any quick recommendation as to which is the most stable version.  I have some older UAPs which have just become unsupported.  I will want to pick a version and stick with it for a while as I believe that I won't be able to upgrade my controller and continuing using those UAPs.

10 hours ago, wayner said:

Thanks Jonathan.  I am back up now.  There has been a lot of discussion on the stability of various versions.  any quick recommendation as to which is the most stable version.  I have some older UAPs which have just become unsupported.  I will want to pick a version and stick with it for a while as I believe that I won't be able to upgrade my controller and continuing using those UAPs.

I use linuxserver/unifi-controller:5.14.23-ls76 and I chose it because it's considered stable by most.

unifi-controller:5.14.23-ls76 for sure is the best by far. Im still struggling on on the 6.0.45 version. The moment I find/am able to actually be allowed to upgrade to a stable well working 6 version I will tell everyone. I check every single day for one. Im hopeful its close because they actually released an RC version which means they might actually be taking an active interest in quality control so if that hope is true maybe it wont be long now until a good 6 version comes out. It could be any day now if we are lucky.

Thanks folks.  Anyone know the last version that is supposed to work with the older hardware?

FYI - I am referring to this announcement which says:

These UniFi AP models will continue to be supported by network controllers that have not upgraded to versions released past the obsoletion date (March 1, 2021). These AP models will still remain visible in controllers that are upgraded beyond the obsoletion date, but they will no longer be configurable.

We are now past that date so presumably this means that any version that is released from this day forward will not support the old APs.

I have 3 or 4 of the older UAPs that I will eventually replace, but I don't want to spend the cash right away. 

Edited by wayner
typo
16 hours ago, wayner said:

Thanks folks.  Anyone know the last version that is supposed to work with the older hardware?

FYI - I am referring to this announcement which says:

We are now past that date so presumably this means that any version that is released from this day forward will not support the old APs.

I have 3 or 4 of the older UAPs that I will eventually replace, but I don't want to spend the cash right away. 

I am guessing 5.11.50-ls40. Maybe take a backup in case that is wrong. Probably that version though.