[Support] Linuxserver.io - Unifi-Controller


Recommended Posts

On 12/14/2020 at 9:35 PM, wayner said:

If you make this change then won't you permanently stay on that version until you change the repository field info?  But I guess maybe that is ok for now.

 

There may be folks wanting to stay on Controller versions for a while as a lot of hardware will become deprecated in March 2021, like my four UAPs, unless you stick to old controller versions.  I appear to be on 5.12.35 which appears to be about a year old.

Thanks for the info.

 

So basically, although I am currently using the "latest" repository, because I haven't upgraded in a year since initial installation and am now on an outdated version, changing the repository tag is enough?

 

Am I right in thinking we should not be updating the application through unifi itself but rather through the docker repo?

 

Cheers!

Link to comment
1 hour ago, johnieutah said:

Am I right in thinking we should not be updating the application through unifi itself but rather through the docker repo?

Yes.  Update through the Docker tab in unRAID and not in the UniFi application.  You can update firmware through the UniFi app, but you should not update the app itself that way.

 

If you update with the :latest tag you will end up with a version 6 release of UniFi with which most still have issue.  You should use a version-specific tag such as :5.14.23-ls76 instead.

Link to comment

My Unifi Controller just fell over for the first time.

It just dropped off from the mobile app (I was using it at the time). If I restart the docker and login, the dashboard comes up, but then if I click anything it's just a spinny circle and nothing happens.

It's v6.0.43

I've never had this happen before, but reading the thread most people say that v6 is trash at the moment. Is this, then, par for the course? I installed swag and setup a reverse proxy with my own domain for Nextcloud two days ago, which means I have now opened up ports 80 and 443 on my router, and am feeling particularly jumpy about that. Am I being paranoid associating the two? Like, have I opened up my server to script kiddies now? Or is swag and Docker secure enough that I don't really have to worry (ie my controller falling over for the first time is just a coincidence)?

 

If it is just the Docker, in terms of a fix, is there a 'clear cache and restart' equivalent I can do to it? It's been rock solid for years now - never had it crash before. I don't know what has happened to have it so reliably die on me after every restart.

And if I decide to downgrade to v5, do I have to nuke the whole install and start over? 

 

Thanks for your help (and reassurance haha).

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Most likely the fact you got updated to the 6 and its a total nightmare at the moment. As has been mentioned many times do not use v6 in production. if you do you must be ok being a beta tester with things falling over at any moment.

 

Use 5.14.23-ls76 which is the version everyone who uses, never complains about. Hoopster posts about that version every page or so, but somehow people still miss that this is the version to use.

 

No clue on downgrading, I dont think its possible but also never tried.

 

P

Link to comment

Thanks for the insight - yeah, it seems that I'm now just another of the many 'why did you even ship this?' Unifi customers :P

 

8 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Pretty sure it's a nuke and pave situation. How many pieces are you controlling?

It's only my house, so two APs, no USG (I use an Edgerouter), and some dumb switches.

I just wish I could access the UI so I could note down the channel (and other) settings I used. Ah well, will just be another weekend IT project.

 

One final thing: the latest firmware for the APs stopped my Chromecasts from working, so I jumped up to a RC version last week (4.3.26.11358) by manually upgrading the APs. Will downgrading the controller to v5 cause any issues? Will I also have to downgrade the AP firmware to an earlier version, or does v5 work fine with the latest (I could see no mention of a minimum controller ver req on the beta page, but just thought I'd double check: https://community.ui.com/releases/UAP-Firmware-4-3-26-11358/e05cd041-ea54-460c-85f4-7f3fd97261e8

 

Thanks again for your help!

Link to comment

Ok, I nuked the install, and have set everything back up again, but am having trouble receiving IP addresses.

Worth noting first that I made some changes to my SSIDs: previously I had two different wireless networks in Unifi: 5G and 2G. Now I have one configured, and have the checkmark for 'combine 2G and 5G' disabled, so I have two SSIDs, but only one entry in the list of WiFi networks for it (I think I'd previously used WLAN groups for the 5G vs 2G networks, but can't remember why I did that, so didn't bother this time).

So anyway, I now have to re-authenticate every device in my house, as I previously had the 5G SSID with a 5G suffix, and now only the 2G network has a suffix.

So I've set everything up, including changing the controller hostname/IP to my server's IP and checking the "override inform host" option.

I thought it may be related to the APs not being able to find the DHCP on my Edgerouter. So I popped over to the "Networks" section and changed the Gateway IP/Subnet to match my network/gateway (192.168.200.1/24). I then disabled the DHCP option below that.

But my devices just won't receive an IP address.

I have also tried it with the DHCP options matching those on my Edgerouter. No joy.

I have also set (in the DHCP section of the Edgerouter interface) the IP address of my server for the "Unifi Controller" option, if that does or doesn't do anything (never really sure why there was an option for that in the Edgerouter firmware, but figure it must offer some benefit...).

Any ideas?

 

EDIT: OMGGGG a full reboot of my entire network - including modem, router, switch, my server, and every device connected - seems to have fixed it. Dunno why, but I'm super glad (as is my wife) that WiFi is back. Now to go re-authenticate every device to my new SSID!

Edited by jademonkee
It's working now lol
Link to comment
On 1/3/2021 at 6:05 AM, jonathanm said:

Honestly, the best answer is for lsio to start rolling a custom build with a consistent tag, that has base OS security updates as necessary but keeps 5.14.23 version of the Unifi software. I know this is extra work, but since unifi can't be bothered to do proper releases with testing and such, we need a container image that stays as current as possible while holding at whatever unifi app version that is deemed worthy by a majority of actual users. Continuing to use a container with an outdated base OS layer could become an issue, especially since some people can't seem to figure out how to properly run this in bridge mode which keeps port exposure to the minimum functionality required.

 

Currently we have LTS and Latest as rolling upgraded base OS, where LTS is currently holding at 5.6.42 and Latest tracks new unifi releases. I propose adding another, "Community_Stable" build which tracks the consensus for unifi version and keeps the base OS layers updated. When a newer version is deemed worthy, and can be migrated to without breaking things, the app version can roll from 5.14.23 to the new community blessed version. When that change is about to happen you could then specify the last 5.14.23 build tag and hold there if you wanted.

 

I recently went through the process of moving from LTS to 5.14.23, and it was a little stressful, as it wasn't clearly documented what minor versions you needed to use to get from A to B. Hopefully we can work to eliminate that sort of thing going forward.

 

 

What is lsio's response to this? I'll ping @saarg since he seems to be the most active lsio member here these days.

Link to comment
7 hours ago, jademonkee said:

Ok, I nuked the install, and have set everything back up again, but am having trouble receiving IP addresses.

Worth noting first that I made some changes to my SSIDs: previously I had two different wireless networks in Unifi: 5G and 2G. Now I have one configured, and have the checkmark for 'combine 2G and 5G' disabled, so I have two SSIDs, but only one entry in the list of WiFi networks for it (I think I'd previously used WLAN groups for the 5G vs 2G networks, but can't remember why I did that, so didn't bother this time).

So anyway, I now have to re-authenticate every device in my house, as I previously had the 5G SSID with a 5G suffix, and now only the 2G network has a suffix.

So I've set everything up, including changing the controller hostname/IP to my server's IP and checking the "override inform host" option.

I thought it may be related to the APs not being able to find the DHCP on my Edgerouter. So I popped over to the "Networks" section and changed the Gateway IP/Subnet to match my network/gateway (192.168.200.1/24). I then disabled the DHCP option below that.

But my devices just won't receive an IP address.

I have also tried it with the DHCP options matching those on my Edgerouter. No joy.

I have also set (in the DHCP section of the Edgerouter interface) the IP address of my server for the "Unifi Controller" option, if that does or doesn't do anything (never really sure why there was an option for that in the Edgerouter firmware, but figure it must offer some benefit...).

Any ideas?

 

EDIT: OMGGGG a full reboot of my entire network - including modem, router, switch, my server, and every device connected - seems to have fixed it. Dunno why, but I'm super glad (as is my wife) that WiFi is back. Now to go re-authenticate every device to my new SSID!

You can always review the support page to see what issues people are having with a particular firmware. Here is the link.

https://community.ui.com/releases

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, strike said:

What is lsio's response to this? I'll ping @saarg since he seems to be the most active lsio member here these days.

That is not something we have even considered and will probably not happen. We do have the LTS tag.

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, saarg said:

That is not something we have even considered and will probably not happen. We do have the LTS tag.

Well, the LTS is outdated and latest is too bleeding edge so there should be a middle ground. But I understand that will involve more work and that is probably why you won't do it.  

Link to comment
1 minute ago, j0nnymoe said:

To be fair, it doesn't even need to be a pull, doing a check update on the image should keep it live.

According to the article the image will be deleted if it hasn't been pushed or pulled for six month. Will a check for update do a pull?

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, strike said:

According to the article the image will be deleted if it hasn't been pushed or pulled for six month. Will a check for update do a pull?

As far as I know, the way unraid does update checks, it counts as a pull.

Link to comment
On 1/6/2021 at 9:29 PM, Hoopster said:

Yes.  Update through the Docker tab in unRAID and not in the UniFi application.  You can update firmware through the UniFi app, but you should not update the app itself that way.

 

If you update with the :latest tag you will end up with a version 6 release of UniFi with which most still have issue.  You should use a version-specific tag such as :5.14.23-ls76 instead.

Thanks this worked great.

 

A final question regarding device firmware updates. Are these normally ok to update or is caution advised as well?

Link to comment
14 minutes ago, johnieutah said:

A final question regarding device firmware updates. Are these normally ok to update or is caution advised as well?

I have updated firmware on my USG, two switches and three APs many times through the UniFi app with no problems; however, I don't usually do it immediately after a new firmware shows up.  I usually wait a couple of weeks to see what feedback is in the Ubiquiti forums. 

 

I have three devices with pending updates right now that I have chosen not to update yet as current firmware is working well.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

I have three devices with pending updates right now that I have chosen not to update yet as current firmware is working well.

I see your 3 and raise you my 21.

 

I manage a whole raft of sites, I'm not about to upgrade without good reason.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
I see your 3 and raise you my 21.
 
I manage a whole raft of sites, I'm not about to upgrade without good reason.

Firmware updates are with Unifi lol. I’m in same boat; APs on super old version lol. Every time I think about updating j Google version and it’s Russian Roulette lol.
Link to comment

Agree with everyone else here. Just read the forums, on unifis site. Honestly they seem to release updates that dont contain new features but to fix problems and in doing so break something else so basically when you have a setup working take care to do updates slowly and when they work make a note in case you need to roll back of that firmware number. Im 1 behind at the moment and quite happy with what I have.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.