do you guys recommend running VM win 10 for everyday computer

comet424

I have a question..  I have a unraid for my server 

but I wanted to know does anyone recommend or not to run your everyday computer  in a VM with video card pass through..  as I wanted 2 OS's running same time but I not sure if its worth it..  to run  or just to simply  just have windows run mainly  on a computer..

for those have done it any pros and cons    

how long you been running that... and when you mean your server is that your server  and running VMS where you VNC to it... or did you mean your Desktop PC running 3 VMS with 3 Monitors running  3 keyboards and mice... 

as I have on my server  running windows server for hosting my websites and stuff.. and dabbled with win 10 and trying to get win 98 but cant seem to get win 98 to work

but I trying to do or think of my desktop PC  running like 2 monitors 2 keyboards 

but I hear ya  on the hardware issue take it all down...  I like idea I just not sure.. and then do you run a 1TB SSD and split the OS to 3 or 2 

what I want is to have 2 vms video card pass through so I can play network games with my son..  when he visits.   and that be like 2 win10  and 2 win98s  so we can flip back and forth to play network games..  off 1 computer...    and also be my daily computer... so that's the idea   but had issues 1 win98   and 2nd  video card pass through issues with buit in video card and my gigabyte one.. so I wasn't able to practice really  didn't work right

35 minutes ago, comet424 said:

how long you been running that...

2 years

35 minutes ago, comet424 said:

and when you mean your server is that your server  and running VMS where you VNC to it... or did you mean your Desktop PC running 3 VMS with 3 Monitors running  3 keyboards and mice... 

I'm referring to my server, which in this case is a z400, with 3 virtual machines each using it's own GPU to a monitor, each with their own usb/mouse/keyboard. I'm on it right now.

36 minutes ago, comet424 said:

as I have on my server  running windows server for hosting my websites and stuff.. and dabbled with win 10 and trying to get win 98 but cant seem to get win 98 to work

forget 98. win 10 only really, and macOS, and linux.

37 minutes ago, comet424 said:

but I trying to do or think of my desktop PC  running like 2 monitors 2 keyboards 

but I hear ya  on the hardware issue take it all down...  I like idea I just not sure.. and then do you run a 1TB SSD and split the OS to 3 or 2 

I have each OS on it's own SSD. You can run them on the same 1tb ssd, but I've found some latency issues at times that way.

38 minutes ago, comet424 said:

what I want is to have 2 vms video card pass through so I can play network games with my son..  when he visits.   and that be like 2 win10  and 2 win98s  so we can flip back and forth to play network games..  off 1 computer...    and also be my daily computer... so that's the idea   but had issues 1 win98   and 2nd  video card pass through issues with buit in video card and my gigabyte one.. so I wasn't able to practice really  didn't work right

forget win98. depending on your hardware, what you want is very possible. You just have to have the ability to use virtualization on your cpu/mobo, enough PCIe slots, GPUs, usb cards or ports, and one larger ssd or two smaller ones and you're done. One of the other two vm's running on this "server" is currently gaming, which I'm about to join in on.

ah ok  

reason I wanted win98  was trying to play some games from late 90s early 2000s  like MS Monster Truck Madness  and my Lesiure Suit Larry and Space Quest games... and GunBoat    just games from when I was a kid...

and there is no real way to get Win 10 to play those.. I wish compatibility mode would work. but it never seems to work  even when you set it to the lowest OS it offers..

oh ok   so pass through works well for you...  are you using 3 videocards or 2 video cards and 1 built in... as im using my Asus Maxmimus Hero VIII board with a I7-6700   and I only have the built in videocard and 1 PCI one and having issues to do that with .. and some reason you need video card bios's 

hmm  so  I can try that right now only have 1 spare SSD 1TB as my current setup is running windows 10 on a 1TB SSD ..  

id like to to try to run my games  as I have more then just for 1 TB  to run off a network drive  I seen done  

but ok I guess I scrap win98  it was just to play my old games  I loved as a kid

47 minutes ago, comet424 said:

ah ok  

reason I wanted win98  was trying to play some games from late 90s early 2000s  like MS Monster Truck Madness  and my Lesiure Suit Larry and Space Quest games... and GunBoat    just games from when I was a kid...

and there is no real way to get Win 10 to play those.. I wish compatibility mode would work. but it never seems to work  even when you set it to the lowest OS it offers..

oh ok   so pass through works well for you...  are you using 3 videocards or 2 video cards and 1 built in... as im using my Asus Maxmimus Hero VIII board with a I7-6700   and I only have the built in videocard and 1 PCI one and having issues to do that with .. and some reason you need video card bios's 

hmm  so  I can try that right now only have 1 spare SSD 1TB as my current setup is running windows 10 on a 1TB SSD ..  

id like to to try to run my games  as I have more then just for 1 TB  to run off a network drive  I seen done  

but ok I guess I scrap win98  it was just to play my old games  I loved as a kid

There is no onboard graphics in my rig, so 3 different gpus 

6 minutes ago, comet424 said:

oh ok I wonder if my issue is the onboard video..  

you haven't mentioned any issues yet (or I missed them)

8 minutes ago, comet424 said:

and whats this purpose of bios what you need it for

bios are setting for your hardware that are independent of whatever operating system you choose to run on the computer. You typically see a "press F9 to go to settings" or something similar when very early when computer boots up. But they key could be Del, or F4, just depends on your hardware. 

oh as issues I had tried this setup before  reason why I was asking again  if its worth it running in VMs instead of just dedaicated

the issue I have it if I the onboard and its the unraid console  and when I click through my laptop to enable VM to run through the onboard... she then goes black and doesn't display nothing...

same as I was having with the gigabyte card  but then after playing around not sure what setting I did it worked... for just the gigabyte  but bugged up for the onboard...

as for the bios...I have never seen that you ever needed to press F9 or del for a video card...  I just know you edit your videocards bios only inside windows in the program..

but I mean people tell you to dump your video card bios  then add it to the vms   bios thing   and not sure what copying the videos cards bios will do... and I dunno why not getting it from the manufactures website doesn't work... but I had stopped trying for a while.. but I came back to ask if its worth it etc and then to set it up