Areca ARC-1280ML 24 Port vs SAS2008's...Upgrade?

bsim

Holy crap huge difference! So....

So with only a few standoffs different (a few movable, a few permanent onces electrical taped well), my 4U Supermicro 24 bay case works well with the supermicro x9dr3-ln4f+ motherboard (was worried about the standoffs and the size difference), now running dual Intel E5-2637V2 's...parity check now runs at the drive speeds, and using the array during parity is even just as fast, but does slow down the parity check, but just slightly. I don't notice any server lag when using the array during parity checks either.

I wanted to share my adventure with the supermicro x9dr3-ln4f+ motherboard upgrade...Ordered from ebay for 180$ (included face and processor sinks), received my processors (120$ for the pair), installed everything...wasn't getting any post or beeps. pulled all but one processor...nothing....swapped processors...nothing...

Previous research had shown that unless the motherboard bios was at least 3.0, it would not be compatible with V2 processors, so it was most likely my bios version....(great...bios upgrade without a processor? i thought)... Luckily, the BMC on X9 boards and above has a feature that allows remote bios updates without any processors or memory being installed! The one catch was that there was a required "OOB license" that was necessary in order to use either the direct web interface of the BMC or use the command line "sum" from supermicro. Luckily, there is a Perl script on the web from a frustrated user (that had reversed the BMC license code) that allows you to generate your own OOB license key. It works on all boards as of recent.

So, I was able to update the BMC firmware easily through the interface, then update the motherboard BIOS directly with the new BMC interface. After that it worked like a charm!

So where does it leave me with figuring out what my issue was? I'm still left with either the motherboard didn't have enough lanes to support the hard throughput, a possible bug in the bios that caused issues, or unraid wasn't quite supporting the motherboard somehow (driver bugs?).

Thanks guys for your help!

Time to ebay!