Ryzen 1700 upgrade

I have managed to get a hold of a ryzen 1700 on the cheap and am upgrading my server. Obviously knowing the issues for the early adopters, C-states etc, is there anything I should do/ be aware of when I first upgrade my server? I have read just to make sure bios etc is fully up to date.

Just fyi

Old Server                                             New Server

4790S                                                   R7 1700

16gb DDR 3                                           32gb DDR4 

igpu                                                      P4000

Cheers in advance

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/19/2019 at 9:45 AM, tazire said:

I have managed to get a hold of a ryzen 1700 on the cheap and am upgrading my server. Obviously knowing the issues for the early adopters, C-states etc, is there anything I should do/ be aware of when I first upgrade my server? I have read just to make sure bios etc is fully up to date.

Just fyi

Old Server                                             New Server

4790S                                                   R7 1700

16gb DDR 3                                           32gb DDR4 

igpu                                                      P4000

Cheers in advance

I'd love to know too. The forums are littered with a shaky past AMD Ryzen users.

15 hours ago, Kevinf63 said:

I'd love to know too. The forums are littered with a shaky past AMD Ryzen users.

Just so you know I finished the upgrade and it all went very smoothly. The one thing I would say is make sure your BIOS is fully up to date and then everything else was very smooth and very stable since. I didn't have to make any BIOS changes or turn off C states. everything is very stable. The only issue I did have that I haven't returned to is the RAM speed. I am aware that Ryzen works better at the higher RAM speeds. And I had it at 3000 but it just wasn't stable. I imagine I just needed to tweek the voltage to the RAM but I was more interested in getting everything up and running stable and just haven't returned to this side of it. As for the results I'm delighted. crazy powerful and very overkill for my needs really. Also I went for 64gb of ram in the end. just means i can plex transcode on RAM which is nice.